ODYSSEUS

5 MONTH PHEASANT SEASON- LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

There are approximately 50k hunters that phesant hunt. The money spend is wasted as the state is inefficient at raising the birds to the tune of 2x what a commercial operation does. Nys could of been buying 2x the amount of birds for the same money from pennslyavania,  which was brought up several years ago, the conservation council fought against it using the logic if we get rid of out game farms (they did close white and only Reynolds is left which employs 3 peope full time and 7 or so parttime workers) eventually we would just stop stocking birds..
as I originally stated in my 1st reply here it's my opinion everyone is entitled to one. 

If there’s 3 full time employees thats150k dollars a year alone “probably way more” that’s not counting feed, equipment, part time employees etc.

Anyone know how many birds the state releases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If there’s 3 full time employees thats150k dollars a year alone “probably way more” that’s not counting feed, equipment, part time employees etc.

Anyone know how many birds the state releases?

The state released 25k adult bird that are raised at Reynolds game farm.  the game farm also raises or I guess I should say incubate eggs for  60 k other to chicks and distributes them to 4h clubs and sportsman clubs and day old chick pheasant rearing program where you can raise and release the birds if your set up to do so properly (there is application to fill out and apply) 

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Again- this Thread should be buried by now with maybe 50 views and 1 positive reply. 5 Month Pheasant Season seems to have raised some hackles on a few backs here. At a time when Anti- hunters are trying to steer YOUTH away from ever hunting at all-- this issue of steering this much needed money from the DEC Pheasant Program totally wrong. Bow deer hunters just got a solid 2 extra weeks in my area a few years back. Anything that INCREASES opportunity for all forms of hunting should get nothing but positive replys. We lose the DEC Pheasant Program and we lose hunters-- young and old alike.

I guess it is because I grew up in a different time where there were different values placed upon the country's outdoor activities. Sticking together and terms like "all for one and one for all", "hang together or hang separately" were used to defend hunting, fishing and shooting. When I see fellow hunters and fishermen having no qualms about throwing other hunters likes under the bus it makes me sad and makes me feel like a fool sometimes.

Between the wife and myself I spent around $150.00 for licenses and tags and have done so for many years. Because of the lousy weather the wife has not hunted at all, I have only been out a few times myself. No big deal, if I get a few Squirrels and maybe a couple of birds I am good and as far as I am concerned the money spent hopefully did some good for our sport. Yes I am getting one Hell of a deal!

I belong to Ducks Unlimited and have not hunted Ducks in years, the NWTF and have not killed a Turkey in several years, I even donated to the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation several times admittedly for contests. NYS Houndsmen, National Shooting Sports Foundation, NRA among some others. Along with funds from the Pittman Robertson from all the stuff I do in shooting I do to do my best to help preserve this country's outdoor traditions and I do not have a lot of money and I am not bragging or complaining!

When I see the things that were posted in this thread because a few stinking bucks of a hunting license about funding some Pheasant hunting which about the only small game initiative this state has  it makes me want to puke!! 

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

The state released 25k adult bird that are raised at Reynolds game farm.  the game farm also raises or I guess I should say incubate eggs for  60 k other to chicks and distributes them to 4h clubs and sportsman clubs and day old chick pheasant rearing program where you can raise and release the birds if your set up to do so properly (there is application to fill out and apply) 

So after loss the state probably releases close to 75k pheasants for an approximate 75k pheasant hunters. I’m going to guess it costs the state 3 or 5$ a bird with all the expenses that’s 375 $ a year. Of the 75k pheasant hunters I wonder how many wouldn’t buy A license If there was no more pheasant season I’m guessing less than 1000, for a net savings of 350k dollars a year.

No wonder pheasant hunters are so adamant about their season. They’re getting a hell of a deal!

6 minutes ago, airedale said:

I guess it is because I grew up in a different time where there were different values placed upon the country's outdoor activities. Sticking together and terms like "all for one and one for all", "hang together or hang separately" were used to defend hunting, fishing and shooting. When I see fellow hunters and fishermen having no qualms about throwing other hunters likes under the bus it makes me sad and makes me feel like a fool sometimes.

Between the wife and myself I spent around $150.00 for licenses and tags and have done so for many years. Because of the lousy weather the wife has not hunted at all, I have only been out a few times myself. No big deal, if I get a few Squirrels and maybe a couple of birds I am good and as far as I am concerned the money spent hopefully did some good for our sport. Yes I am getting one Hell of a deal!

I belong to Ducks Unlimited and have not hunted Ducks in years, the NWTF and have not killed a Turkey in several years, I even donated to the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation several times admittedly for contests. NYS Houndsmen, National Shooting Sports Foundation, NRA among some others. Along with funds from the Pittman Robertson from all the stuff I do in shooting I do to do my best to help preserve this country's outdoor traditions and I do not have a lot of money and I am not bragging or complaining!

When I see the things that were posted in this thread because a few stinking bucks of a hunting license about funding some Pheasant hunting which about the only small game initiative this state has  it makes me want to puke!! 

Al

seems like i remember a pheasant raising place out our way in Florence or Annsville?  I think it closed down? 

Here in Orange County-- Pheasant Hunting is very popular. I have not yet touched on the many Gun Clubs that Release Pheasants. Without naming any and, I have been in 4 of them-- on  both Sat and Sun - there are SO MANY Pheasant hunters that in one Gun Club there is a -- Odd-Even system. Meaning that if your badge# ends in a Odd number-- you get to start at 8.30am. Even#s can start at 10am and it rotates. Even so-- there could be upwards of 30 hunters on that Preserve with another 15 or so arriving later! I have talked to so many over the years and plenty of them just hunt Pheasants. ALOT of money in License sales coming in from Pheasant only hunters!

23 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Again- this Thread should be buried by now with maybe 50 views and 1 positive reply. 5 Month Pheasant Season seems to have raised some hackles on a few backs here. At a time when Anti- hunters are trying to steer YOUTH away from ever hunting at all-- this issue of steering this much needed money from the DEC Pheasant Program totally wrong. Bow deer hunters just got a solid 2 extra weeks in my area a few years back. Anything that INCREASES opportunity for all forms of hunting should get nothing but positive replys. We lose the DEC Pheasant Program and we lose hunters-- young and old alike.

What meets the "positive reply" criteria? It seems only the opinions that match your own, are "positive". You should have more of an open mind, its a discussion. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

So after loss the state probably releases close to 75k pheasants for an approximate 75k pheasant hunters. I’m going to guess it costs the state 3 or 5$ a bird with all the expenses that’s 375 $ a year. Of the 75k pheasant hunters I wonder how many wouldn’t buy A license If there was no more pheasant season I’m guessing less than 1000, for a net savings of 350k dollars a year.

No wonder pheasant hunters are so adamant about their season. They’re getting a hell of a deal!

Years ago they could buy from pa for about 7.50 a bird , their cost was close to 20 a bird.. this was in the late 90s early 2000 when they proposed  closing game farm and buying out of state birds.. I'm sure cost per bird has gone up since then.

Years ago they could buy from pa for about 7.50 a bird , their cost was close to 20 a bird.. this was in the late 90s early 2000 when they proposed  closing game farm and buying out of state birds.. I'm sure cost per bird has gone up since then.

Holy crap, guess I lowballed. But I assume that only includes the birds raised by the state not counting the 60K for the eggs raised by 4H etc.

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Al

Disappointing, but not unexpected IMO.

Been doing this almost 30 years and its always been a tunnel vision, myopic group since I started.

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

If anyone is interested there are plenty of numbers and research done on cost of operations and amount brought in by Pheasant hunters. Warning these are real numbers not made up bullshit from Gman. 

Im not even going to bother posting it here because quite frankly it’s a waste of time. 

• Like 1

I fully support the pheasant program even though I don't hunt much anymore.  Most of the stocked areas are managed by DEC and they mow, plant and monitor those lands.  This also supports other wildlife.  The state raised birds are very high quality, fully feathered and good flyers.  Those that survive are quite challenging and "some" do survive to the spring.  The lengthening of the season to five months allows greater field time for people.  If you consider how many preserves there are out there you might be surprised at how many pheasant you might find on nearby open land.  They are creatures of habit and they always seek out certain types of cover.  It's not difficult to figure out where some might be.

Trout are heavily stocked since streams that are heavily fished or can't support wild populations would otherwise hold few trout.  Trout and pheasant have many similarities in how they are managed for those looking to hunt or fish. Ending pheasant hunting would have consequences just like ending trout stocking would.  My personal preference aside, I understand both support a recreational need.

When wildlife biologists say that good habitat offsets predation, I can't disagree...... completely.  But in reality, we had many years of good to excellent small game hunting when predators were managed.  Artificially supporting habitat is necessary to support hunting and fishing opportunities.

Deer hunting can be quite artificial also.  Hunting over a food plot or in a suburban backyard are a different experience.  I'm not being critical but just making the point that most of our opportunities are different than the past and are somewhat artificial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Woodcock said:

I fully support the pheasant program even though I don't hunt much anymore.  Most of the stocked areas are managed by DEC and they mow, plant and monitor those lands.  This also supports other wildlife.  The state raised birds are very high quality, fully feathered and good flyers.  Those that survive are quite challenging and "some" do survive to the spring.  The lengthening of the season to five months allows greater field time for people.  If you consider how many preserves there are out there you might be surprised at how many pheasant you might find on nearby open land.  They are creatures of habit and they always seek out certain types of cover.  It's not difficult to figure out where some might be.

Trout are heavily stocked since streams that are heavily fished or can't support wild populations would otherwise hold few trout.  Trout and pheasant have many similarities in how they are managed for those looking to hunt or fish. Ending pheasant hunting would have consequences just like ending trout stocking would.  My personal preference aside, I understand both support a recreational need.

When wildlife biologists say that good habitat offsets predation, I can't disagree...... completely.  But in reality, we had many years of good to excellent small game hunting when predators were managed.  Artificially supporting habitat is necessary to support hunting and fishing opportunities.

Deer hunting can be quite artificial also.  Hunting over a food plot or in a suburban backyard are a different experience.  I'm not being critical but just making the point that most of our opportunities are different than the past and are somewhat artificial.

They should drop off some wild hogs in some of those places  they get hit so hard by hunters  there would be no chance for them to cause a problem  or spread .

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/49071.html
Seems I was a bit high on hunter numbers only 23k now and cost to raise birds 750k . 15 bucks a bird is what it works out to..

If these numbers are accurate than the state loses 250k dollars a year on pheasant hunting. That’s not accurate because that would mean that all 23k hunters only hunt pheasant.

How many of these 23k would be willing to pay and extra 25$ for a pheasant permit that would cover the costs of the put and take methods?

I love how some of the arguments talk about how being against wasting money on pheasant is against the tradition of hunting, I don’t think there is too much tradition for releasing farm animals into the wild to shoot. To me that is not hunting if I want to hunt farm animals I’ll butcher a pig or cow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If these numbers are accurate than the state loses 250k dollars a year on pheasant hunting. That’s not accurate because that would mean that all 23k hunters only hunt pheasant.

How many of these 23k would be willing to pay and extra 25$ for a pheasant permit that would cover the costs of the put and take methods?

I love how some of the arguments talk about how being against wasting money on pheasant is against the tradition of hunting, I don’t think there is too much tradition for releasing farm animals into the wild to shoot. To me that is not hunting if I want to hunt farm animals I’ll butcher a pig or cow.

Yeah its ok to shoot the so called tame animals and birds as long as it fits their agenda. As long as someone is footing the bill for it they are all for it. Make them pay to plant those birds and they would scream foul...Or Fowl..Whichever way one would want to look at it.  Expensive vermin snacks for sure.

• Like 2

Just think how much higher the real cost is as 4h and clubs raise most of the birds and incur the costs themselves to raise from chick to adult.. I still think we would be better, putting the money into habitat or defraying cost by buying commercially raised burds.

The only people who want that DEC Money earmarked for Pheasant rearing and releases in NY are the Rich Deer Hunters  G-Man has 36 deer stands on his land . And fourseasonwhiretails has a deer breeding business on his land. And the money rolls on in.  Others own or lease Vast acreage of Private Land for deer hunting.   What about the scores of hunters like me whose only option are Public Lands?  DEC is doing a great job with that Pheasant Program. Scores of Youth and older hunters truly are thankful for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Just think how much higher the real cost is as 4h and clubs raise most of the birds and incur the costs themselves to raise from chick to adult.. I still think we would be better, putting the money into habitat or defraying cost by buying commercially raised burds.

Dec makes millions from license sales  they have plenty to release birds on public land . Besides if not that they would waist it on something else anyway .

I dont see that as the same as 

a place fenced  stocked by  deer  created by guys  like  fSW who spends  all day jacking off deer in a laboratory trying to make the biggest horn possible. 

Think about how crazy that is .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I support the program but do not hunt them. 

I understand the idea of allocating money elsewhere and it may be a better choice, I don’t know. 

I’d rather see money spent on habitat in general which benefits all hunters. 

I don't feel hunting for stocked pheasants is necessarily that "artificial" an experience, especially going after birds days or weeks after they were stocked. Is it any different than fishing for stocked trout or hunting for "wild" quail or pheasant on a "managed" property?  Hunting deer over a food plot or in a suburban backyard isn't all that natural an experience either.  We'll never see a return to widespread quality small game hunting unless many things change.  In fact, high deer populations and the unwillingness to properly reduce their population is probably one of the main reasons we see our habitat degraded.  Many of us have seen or participate in maintaining habitat and we can see the difference when we restrict deer from "study" areas.  Let's be honest, there are way too many deer in some areas, they have a negative impact on the land and the amount of time, effort and expense required to re-establish quality and quantity of habitat on public land is not possible. In today's world, it really is what it is.......  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Dec makes millions from license sales  they have plenty to release birds on public land . Besides if not that they would waist it on something else anyway .

I dont see that as the same as 

a place fenced  stocked by  deer  created by guys  like  fSW who spends  all day jacking off deer in a laboratory trying to make the biggest horn possible. 

Think about how crazy that is .

A commercial enterprise is not the same as public entity.. as for wasting $ a commercial enterprise doesn't cost a dime of my license fees. When you think 750 k actually raises 25 or 30k birds because the day old chicks are given away to be raised. The price per bird is 25 bucks.

Raising grouse, woodcock doesnt cost the state a dime. Imo putting that 750 k into improving habitat for them would yield long term results that would also benefit other game animals that again reproduce at no cost to the dec or license buyers..  9 wma a year could have 50 k of improvements done to better habitat. And it would take much less than that for many others a rotational basis of improving habitat at numerous wma would benefit far more than the 23k phesant hunter it does now

• Like 1