ODYSSEUS

5 MONTH PHEASANT SEASON- LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

I hunt small game  and big game with  out a dog   and the pheasant release  program dont bother me,  do you really think that  going away is going to change anything about what the DEC does  or what we pay for in   licenses  Lol  this  is a blue state  remember, You are  delusional if you think that its going to lower your tax or license fees  in a blue state .

Maybe if it was Montana you would have a point not here . Besides the less hunting going on in any way shape or form is just another way they can cut away at are gun rights  in this blue state . As it is many on the left think ownership of guns to civilians   should be limited to hunting   so you are just helping them get more of what they want . 

• Like 1

It is really quite sad the direction this thread has turned. Putting minimal resources into a facet of hunting which had a rich history in NY and which mother nature can no longer sustain should be applauded and not chastised. Though I do not hunt the stocked birds much anymore, I do take the setters out to work birds. As I do not enjoy pheasant as table fare I do not have to kill them to enjoy incredible fog work and seeing the dogs loving life if but fir a couple of months a year. Many of us bird hunters find our seasons cut short by the long gun seasons for bear. I won’t consider taking my dogs out in the deer woods during gun seasons as it is simply too dangerous or the landowners, understanably, want the land off limits during their deer hunts. I do know that although my family are dedicated small and big game hunters, my most cherished moments were spent with my father hunying the State stocked pheasant fields over our dogs. I would trade 10 booners for 1 more pheasant hunt with dad. If we are going to try to put a price tag on the pheasant program or do a cost benefit analysis on the stocking programs, I am quite confident that there would be good arguments made for and against nearly all fish and game programs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GreenDrake-- that was quite a post! Same here,-- I grew up hunting Pheasants with my Father. I have always enjoyed watching my Father's Pheasant dogs work and then mine . Priceless memories.. Hunters need to stand together-- not try to tear down a program that benifit Hunters. In the end-- there are really not many of us and plenty more anti-hunters out there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

GreenDrake-- that was quite a post! Same here,-- I grew up hunting Pheasants with my Father. I have always enjoyed watching my Father's Pheasant dogs work and then mine . Priceless memories.. Hunters need to stand together-- not try to tear down a program that benifit Hunters. In the end-- there are really not many of us and plenty more anti-hunters out there.

Yes, To lots of hunters  it's about  memorys   with friends and family and traditions .

I remember like yesterday one of the first times I ever went hunting as a kid  with my  father  was hunting  pheasant  and other small game .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Storm914 said:

O sorry  said 

Why someone who sells deer as livestock to high   fence farms  cares about the peanuts they use for the pheasant program ?

3/4 of a million for 25k birds is not 5 bucks.. they can buy birds for 5 buck apiece but prefer to raise them at the cost or 25$ you would think you would want the most bang for your buck.. would you rather stock 25k birds or 125k birds?? Or just save a ton of monies and stock the 25 k bought for 5 bucks a piece?  Again the roaming could actually go into creating habitat for them..  or perhaps licensing prices could drop 5 bucks apiece.. 

• Sad 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

8 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I would enjoy hunting pheasants if there were any to hunt around here. We had them as a kid and I walked my tail end off as a teenager hunting them without a dog. I haven't seen a bird here in so long I can't remember when. According to the DEC website, some are stocked about an hour away from me. Can't say that helps me much.

So, we have a pheasant season. But, no birds to hunt. We also have a bear season, but there hasn't been a bear taken in this township in at least 150 years. Maybe cause the only ones here are young males wandering through in the early summer.

DEC should open up seasons for elk, grizzly bear, pronghorn and mountain lions while they are at it. Probably should open up alligator season too, a couple were taken from the river near Whitney Point a couple years ago, so who knows.

Turkeys were here for a few years. Then they died out. The few left in neighboring areas do not gobble in the spring, because the yotes key on them.

I can hunt deer, coyote, and tree rats. 

1st the dec cant open any season and in fact we do not even have a season until its voted on by the politicians 

... any new season or change has to be passed

.dont believe me check out any crossbow thread..if dec could it would of been legal all archery season years ago.. the ignorance by 99% of all the hunters to this fact is why we have no game management or game department.  Again the dec wanted to close Reynolds and buy the birds saving us money.. it was fought for and kept by wildlife council and politicians

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

3/4 of a million for 25k birds is not 5 bucks.. they can buy birds for 5 buck apiece but prefer to raise them at the cost or 25$ you would think you would want the most bang for your buck.. would you rather stock 25k birds or 125k birds?? Or just save a ton of monies and stock the 25 k bought for 5 bucks a piece?  Again the roaming could actually go into creating habitat for them..  or perhaps licensing prices could drop 5 bucks apiece.. 

Now we are going around in circles I already addressed this .

We live in a blue state = you are not going to get a discount by removal of this program 

Nothing else will change your not going to get better anything from this government by cutting anything. 

You are in the wrong state for that my friend. 

This  is not Montana. 

• Like 1

Looks like this Thread has made 7 straight days now... I wrote it at the very end of Rifle Deer Season. Less then 1 week of Late Bow and Muzzleloader now. Let's Look at my Title again.-- 5 Month Pheasant Season-- Let The Good Times Roll!  It is Clear-- so obvious in fact that the Negative replys over and over again by the same 3-4 members are mostly fueled by Jealousy. Deer Season is coming to an end-- how come these Pheasant Hunters have all this time! And so my Thread that should have lasted 1 day is still around. The Charge seems to be led by fourseasonwhitetails,-- (+ Supporting Member).  I am glad that more Small Game hunters are getting involved in this Thread as fourseasonwhitetails,G-Man, and buckmaster7600 are not through yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Now we are going around in circles I already addressed this .

We live in a blue state = you are not going to get a discount by removal of this program 

Nothing else will change your not going to get better anything from this government by cutting anything. 

You are in the wrong state for that my friend. 

This  is not Montana. 

You dont seem to understand this was the dec recommendation!!

• Like 1

Looks like this Thread has made 7 straight days now... I wrote it at the very end of Rifle Deer Season. Less then 1 week of Late Bow and Muzzleloader now. Let's Look at my Title again.-- 5 Month Pheasant Season-- Let The Good Times Roll!  It is Clear-- so obvious in fact that the Negative replys over and over again by the same 3-4 members are mostly fueled by Jealousy. Deer Season is coming to an end-- how come these Pheasant Hunters have all this time! And so my Thread that should have lasted 1 day is still around. The Charge seems to be led by fourseasonwhitetails,-- (+ Supporting Member).  I am glad that more Small Game hunters are getting involved in this Thread as fourseasonwhitetails,G-Man, and buckmaster7600 are not through yet.

Jealous? I’m more excited now than I was in oct. crows are starting to flock up big Time and I can’t wait until Friday morning. You pheasant guys should consider crow hunting. It’s a blast, my dog loves retrieving them and I love shooting them. Best part is I’m saving people money instead of wasting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

buckmaster- no, I am not a (Turkey expert). My tips are for beginners. Don't waste your time reading them.  My 118  are all Hard-Won Birds. So yeah, I do have some knowledge to share with Beginners.

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

You dont seem to understand this was the dec recommendation!!

I do understand stand but they have there own self interest motives and more then likely if they cut that program that money is just going In someones  pocket not for habitat or anything that will help hunters especially lowering  tax or license fees .  Like i said this is a blue state .

Nothing more enjoyable on a crisp Fall day than Pheasant hunting with a good dog and a classic side by side double. Everyone should give it a try, you will be glad you did.:imsohappy:

Al

2013-12-07_115246.thumb.png.ec544aa04636f4bb2a35efa79b84bfd9.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

3 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Airedale-- what breed of dog is that one?

An Airedale of course LOL!!!

• Thanks 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work