Showing a DEC officer a gut pile?

Burrr

If asked by a LEO to see a gut pile I would probably laugh my butt off. Such a waste of time. Yotes/foxes remove almost 100% of the evidence overnight. Perhaps there would be a few spots of blood left- nothing left from the doe I harvested last week due the heavy rain and 14 inches of snow melt.

For what it's worth, every deer I have ever checked, (either accidently or on purpose) has had corn in it. And no, I have never baited.

47 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

If asked by a LEO to see a gut pile I would probably laugh my butt off. Such a waste of time. Yotes/foxes remove almost 100% of the evidence overnight. Perhaps there would be a few spots of blood left- nothing left from the doe I harvested last week due the heavy rain and 14 inches of snow melt.

For what it's worth, every deer I have ever checked, (either accidently or on purpose) has had corn in it. And no, I have never baited.

Hair and stomach material is left. That is good evidence.now if they had tip on someone baiting with corn and asked to see gut pile and there is no corn for miles and stomach is packed only with corn... see how it works?

5 hours ago, grampy said:

But what if the deer was shot in a corn field?  Not sure how anyone could tell if the deer was taken over bait, after it has been cleaned up and transported?

And I agree with you. If convicted of baiting or poaching, no more licence.

Problem is they were not following laws to begin with they would still hunt

. Now take 10% of their pay for next 5 years and put toward habitat / law enforcement...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burrr said:

If the officer already knows,  you would think he'd have the ticket written and wouldn't bother going on a detour to see where a deer was shot - and if he is willing to take that detour I would assume he is looking for more wrong-doings to charge you with.

Lying to officer ,falsifying evidence more charges pending. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Hair and stomach material is left. That is good evidence.now if they had tip on someone baiting with corn and asked to see gut pile and there is no corn for miles and stomach is packed only with corn... see how it works?

Are we now going to have to ask to see their itinerary for the last several days and where they were eating before we can shoot them? We could be playing right by the book and a couple neighbors over has a pile or just some old lady that likes to feed them in her back yard. Corn in the guts is evidence of only one thing. The deer ate corn....lol

• Like 7

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Are we now going to have to ask to see their itinerary for the last several days and where they were eating before we can shoot them? We could be playing right by the book and a couple neighbors over has a pile or just some old lady that likes to feed them in her back yard. Corn in the guts is evidence of only one thing. The deer ate corn....lol

Hate to say it but you can match corn to field it came from it's not hard. Varieties of apples ect..  if they found a pile of yellow delicious under a mutsu for example ..baiting.. field corn in a swwet corn field.. sunflowers in soybean.. believe me if they want the evidence can and will get you..

22 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Problem is they were not following laws to begin with they would still hunt

Story in our local paper a few years ago about a guy in our area who got caught shooting the robo-deer. Lost his license for a couple of years along with some fines. Got caught the very next year on another robo-deer, and hunting without a license. You're right Greg - didn't deter him a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Story in our local paper a few years ago about a guy in our area who got caught shooting the robo-deer. Lost his license for a couple of years along with some fines. Got caught the very next year on another robo-deer, and hunting without a license. You're right Greg - didn't deter him a bit.

Now that is funny.  Getting caught twice on robo deer - same field too?  lol

• Like 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

Different parts of the county if I recall correctly. It seems I've read some stories on other repeat offenders from outside NYS too.

As far as I know, I've never seen a robo-deer. They must be convincingly realistic!

46 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I shot a doe with the bow who had substaintial amount of fresh corn in her gut and mouth, there are cut corn fields around but not the direction she came from. How can they say im baiting if they find no pile, whos to say it wasnt my neighbor?

49 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Lying to officer ,falsifying evidence more charges pending. 

an officer would have to do a lot of legwork to reach those charges - they would have to find the spot (without your assistance) and would need some kind of DNA evidence to match to the deer. Would they do it? Possibly. But it's not a given. And you would still have your deer and gun for those charges.

from what I was told by a guy who shot a deer in penn and their d.e.c checked the residue on the teeth . From what he said was that a ''anonymous'' call said he was baiting deer and they went to his house and checked the deer he had hanging .He came up clean but if there was there was enough evidence they do their csi

Looks like a bunch of Ag land up by Jordan Pond
East of Albany Post Road too

Yea a few private land pieces may have a horse farm or something. But my point was that when DEC sees corn in teeth it raises red flags. If someone truly has a cornfield, they would gladly bring DEC to see the kill site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

a while ago a heard a story someone built a corn blind in a wheat field , for goose hunting.  I dont think the corn was removed.  Hopefully nobody got a ticket for "baiting".    Also.. Its a well known not so secret that farmers take some steps to hide sweet corn, such as plant cow corn the outside visible rows and sweet corn inside.  Two kinds of corn very easily in the same field. I wonder if deer like sweet corn over cow corn.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Different parts of the county if I recall correctly. It seems I've read some stories on other repeat offenders from outside NYS too.

As far as I know, I've never seen a robo-deer. They must be convincingly realistic!

I've written here before my nieghbor shot same robo deer, same DEC cops, same road, 2 weeks apart. Nicked him for DUI and gun in vehicle; DUI made into newspaper police blotter and thats how I found out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

a while ago a heard a story someone built a corn blind in a wheat field , for goose hunting.  I dont think the corn was removed.  Hopefully nobody got a ticket for "baiting".    Also.. Its a well known not so secret that farmers take some steps to hide sweet corn, such as plant cow corn the outside visible rows and sweet corn inside.  Two kinds of corn very easily in the same field. I wonder if deer like sweet corn over cow corn.

Girl I dated in High school's father was a dairy Farmer. Sweetcorn was always rows 2, 3 and 9, 10

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea a few private land pieces may have a horse farm or something. But my point was that when DEC sees corn in teeth it raises red flags. If someone truly has a cornfield, they would gladly bring DEC to see the kill site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously? You want DEC walking your entire hunting area? poking, prodding, leaving scent, disrupting deer during hunting season? I sure don't. My better half missed a 6 pt last weekend in a giant corn field. No, corn in deer teeth don't raise suspicions in many parts of the state. I'm getting her a new rifle and scope btw.  

Most times Dec will ask you to take to where your shot was from.I had a lady call and report that I was hunting to close to her home,I was on State land and the officer wanted to no where I shot from and didn't asked me to show him to gut pile.He did use his wheel measure and proved the lady was wrong for the report

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

I live in an area where farms are going out, but I have no doubt that almost every deer visits the few remaining corn fields on a regular basis. I set up as much as 1,000 yards from the nearest cornfield, but I have had great luck intercepting bucks returning from their nightly visits to the fields as they head to their bedding areas. In my area their is no area where there is "no corn for miles".

I checked the area of my last gut pile this afternoon. The yotes had even removed a pair of bloody latex gloves which I had inadvertently left behind. Sometimes they leave the stomach pouch, but I couldn't find it. I would probably have a hard time convincing a LEO that I really gutted a deer there!  I don't think their finding a little blood or hair would be evidence of baiting.

BTW, I never (EVER) gut my deer anywhere near the kill site. Why would I purposely draw yotes into a prime deer area?

11 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

BTW, I never (EVER) gut my deer anywhere near the kill site. Why would I purposely draw yotes into a prime deer area?

Maybe that is why I have not seen any deer on our own farm since dumping the first whitetail butchering scraps in early November.   There are four chewed up carcasses on that pile now (fortunately the hunting has been good over at my folk's place on the other corner of the WMU, and at my buddy's cabin in the southern tier).  I got a quick look at a fat coyote running out of our woods on Sunday afternoon.  It plunged thru a deep ditch at the border of our land to make it's escape, and I could really tell how fat it was with it's fur all wet.  It was way too fast for me to get a shot off.  Usually I only see them at night under a full (or close to it) moon or right around sunrise at this time of year.  That last sighting was at 1:30 in the afternoon.