Showing a DEC officer a gut pile?

Burrr

On 12/5/2018 at 1:32 PM, Al Bundy said:

Wrong answer...   They are asking you to help prove a case, not cut you a break on some possible other ticket.  You have no legal obligation to allow them out on your property, hence why you are ASKED if its OK to go out. 

i know what i'm legally obligated to do. point being i wouldn't be baiting. deer travel. they aren't asking random folks to see their gut piles or spots. there was some evidence of baiting to cause them to ask.  it would be blatant stupidity at that point to ask to see guts because he or she knows what they'll find. i'd be blunt tell them so then tell them they can see my stand and search the area of my property because i wasn't baiting. then tell them it was here so there must be a pile somewhere relatively close by. go find it.  point being if you know you didn't do anything wrong then be honest and work with them to help them sort it out. if you act all shady they'll only be up your ass more and give you the benefit of the doubt that you're breaking laws when you're not. they deal with this crap every day they can tell better than the average person when you're full of BS or being serious.

10 hours ago, chrisw said:

It still surprises me that so many still think they're above the law or enjoy "fighting the man." If you killed a deer, someone called the Dec on you for some Reason and they wanted to see where you shot it, who cares?? Take them and be done with it. It's very simple, they are there to enforce game laws so if you weren't doing anything stupid what do you have to hide?? A lot of people have a problem with baiting here judging by the above comments, well the Dec officer is trying to do his job and help with that and you're going to be an A Hole and hinder it? Maybe I'm biased because a really close friend of mine is a DEC officer and he's not out to screw anyone over unnecessarily. Respect is lost it seems these days. I'll probably get 3 responses now where someone had a rogue DEC officer being rude to them, well guess what it's probably because you were being a dick. In my experience, the people who want to fight you over a simple request are the ones hiding something. Same with an V&T stop, if an officer wants to poke through my truck quick, have at it, there aren't drugs or illegal weapons in there, I have nothing to hide.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I’m right with you , up,until the V+T stop, there is no way I’ll ever  submit to a warrantless search of my,property . You looking for a missing/Kidnaped kid, sure have a look officer , just a fishing expedition go pound salt .

Having nothing to hide is not the way it’s supposed to work in America .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pitweiler said:

I'm sort of in this camp. Even if it was legal, I don't think I would do it with a feeder type system or corn piles. I just find humor in they roundabout way NY goes about deer feeding/baiting legality. Bait sites are illegal for you and me, but a planted food plot is completely legal, and feeding deer in Sullivan County is acceptable, but not acceptable in the rest of the state. With all that said, a municipality can hire USDA to cull their population and baiting/spotlighting is totally acceptable for that practice. I just find it completely hypocritical. If I was someone who was relying on killing a couple deer to feed my family I would throw some bait down without hesitation if I needed to. I think most of the displeasure stems from what someone said about one property baiting and pulling deer from adjacent property. No one is on the same page. Baiting happens in NY. The bait is sold in pretty much every sporting goods store and they always run low by the time hunting season starts. People ARE buying corn salt/mineral licks, etc. Maybe NYS should regulate it instead of banning it. In certain areas of the state where deer population is too high I would think baiting would be an acceptable form of hunting. Especially when hunting harvest numbers aren't great enough to control the population and culling has to take place by the USDA.

It's also interesting that baiting coyotes is legal but baiting bears is not. Baiting bears is not an uncommon way to hunt them. I don't see how bait left out for coyotes would not be eaten by bears since bears eat pretty much anything they can get their paws on. I just don't see a difference. 

I say regulate it and put some stipulations in place like a lot of states have. Maybe increasing their food sources in more rural areas will help draw deer out of suburban and urban areas. I'm not a biologist so I don't know the answer to that.

Typical Ny......Let them sell something thats not legal to use so they can tax it and then try and catch people using said product.

13 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i know what i'm legally obligated to do. point being i wouldn't be baiting. deer travel. they aren't asking random folks to see their gut piles or spots. there was some evidence of baiting to cause them to ask.  it would be blatant stupidity at that point to ask to see guts because he or she knows what they'll find. i'd be blunt tell them so then tell them they can see my stand and search the area of my property because i wasn't baiting. then tell them it was here so there must be a pile somewhere relatively close by. go find it.  point being if you know you didn't do anything wrong then be honest and work with them to help them sort it out. if you act all shady they'll only be up your ass more and give you the benefit of the doubt that you're breaking laws when you're not. they deal with this crap every day they can tell better than the average person when you're full of BS or being serious.

Maybe its an inconvenience .... Im dropping my deer off at butcher before I go to work or before i gotta pick my kids up from school and DEC wants to see my gutpile almost 2 miles into woods.  I got nothing to hide but I am gonna say NO.........

On 12/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, Steve D said:

Trust me they are not going to do any more than they have to. A few years ago I found a big dead buck that someone shot, cut the antlers off, and left it lay. They also left the hacksaw blades lying right next to the deer. I called the DEC to report it and a officer came out and took all the information. When I asked if  he wanted to see the deer or collect the hacksaw blades he replied no need. Before he left he asked if I would get them but to be careful handling them in case they could find prints. I went out and picked up the hacksaw blades with a pair of needle nose pliers and placed them in a zip lock bag. It took three telephone calls to get them to come out and pick up the blades.

They picked up the blades, placed them in a paper bag, and thanked me for reporting it. I asked if they could at least let me know if they found anything out. To this day I don't know if they found anything or even tried.

If they can catch you in the act or close to it they will react but I don't think to many are going to go out of their way to collect evidence unless they are sure they have a case.

They are understaffed im sure, and only respond and investigate when they need. A group of guys turned in a man next door to me last year for shooting 3 bucks between 100-120" during the opening week of gun season, pictures to prove it as well.. All 3 bucks were supposedly tagged with buck tags from people whom have never even been on the property before. and live hours away. I Guess the DEC investigated and only took one buck from the butchers and the other 2 were left for the poaching hunter.... This poaching hunter still had his buck tag in his possession too!!! Still hunted the rest of the season and such..

Its a touchy situation i guess, but it seems you can put a ton of pieces to the puzzle in their lap and nothing really gets done about it.. 

4 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

Maybe its an inconvenience .... Im dropping my deer off at butcher before I go to work or before i gotta pick my kids up from school and DEC wants to see my gutpile almost 2 miles into woods.  I got nothing to hide but I am gonna say NO.........

i get that scenario.

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

They are understaffed im sure, and only respond and investigate when they need. A group of guys turned in a man next door to me last year for shooting 3 bucks between 100-120" during the opening week of gun season, pictures to prove it as well.. All 3 bucks were supposedly tagged with buck tags from people whom have never even been on the property before. and live hours away. I Guess the DEC investigated and only took one buck from the butchers and the other 2 were left for the poaching hunter.... This poaching hunter still had his buck tag in his possession too!!! Still hunted the rest of the season and such..

Its a touchy situation i guess, but it seems you can put a ton of pieces to the puzzle in their lap and nothing really gets done about it.. 

they definitely are under staffed. Canzeri from here just crossed over into Albany county to nab some poachers. they got caught because they jacked a deer from the truck, tossed it in the back, but it wasn't dead. they got caught from the aftermath and looking for it. we've had columbia county ECO's travel north to assist out here too. also had some from region 5 head south.