is less....more

Robhuntandfish

16 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Less permanent and more climbers to be able to move quick when cam's finally show your target buck moving in daylight. That is if you target certain bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am a chicken of climbers lol.  But also the land i hunt is weird.  The lease we have has hardly any trees.  Its old grown over farm land and a tangled mess.  Deer def hide in there but trees for stands are hard to come by.  And the other property i hunt a lot is mostly ag fields with a small ring of trees around them.  I have buddies thought that swear by the climbers - its like they never hunt the same stand twice as long as they can pickout a suitable tree.  

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i am a chicken of climbers lol.  But also the land i hunt is weird.  The lease we have has hardly any trees.  Its old grown over farm land and a tangled mess.  Deer def hide in there but trees for stands are hard to come by.  And the other property i hunt a lot is mostly ag fields with a small ring of trees around them.  I have buddies thought that swear by the climbers - its like they never hunt the same stand twice as long as they can pickout a suitable tree.  

I never feel safer than I do in my climber. I hunt some hang on sets but feel the climber is safer

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Fat guys are afraid of climbers and wicker!  Just the way it is!  lol  

And folding chairs and old wood chairs and and and

i actually like the climber but rarely use it.  If I need to adjust I just toss up another ladder.  Even have an extra ready to go at my place.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Fat guys are afraid of climbers and wicker!  Just the way it is!  lol  

They have climbers rated to 350lbs summit titan and Goliath. I have shot more deer out of my climber than any other stand . FYI I am 6-3 280 used to be 330 .

The problem with climbers is the spot I need to hunt from never has a suitable tree.. I have stands that tip down to the front and right because tree is so twisted.. not comfortable but can kill  a deer from it every year.. 

Its better to be in the right spot to kill a deer that you might see , than to see a deer you might only be able to kill....

I was lucky enough to have the time off at the right time...with changing weather patterns, wind was right, and most importantly....SNOW!

I saw more deer this year than in a fair number of years, and I am pretty sure it is because I more so than usual went out of my way to be sure my stands were fully down wind from the area I hunted (I get a lot of swirling winds), and was out in the woods earlier and when the weather was crappy ( I have always had more luck hunting the slop). 

My biggest weakness is that I just love being in the woods regardless of if I am seeing anything, but by later in the season am getting lazy.

I certainly think hunting the productive times (weather changes, conditions) you can optimize your luck, but then you can never account for ...luck. Sometimes the darn deer just do what they want to do.