How do you figure out who is the best deer hunter ?

Hunter007

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m top 3 without a doubt in the following division:

East of Hudson River, south of Route 84, north of 287 Division.

Me, Jerkman, CrappyIce in no particular order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the pictures  I say your dad is   :)

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

What is that a tv show or YouTube channel ?

It's a YouTube channel they have a couple seasons worth of hunting now from about half a dozen guys... very knowledgeable and they film for eachother.  They set up climbing sticks and hang ons or just bow hunt from the ground..

4 hours ago, Storm914 said:

The  fighting on the crossbow inclusion thread got me wondering about this .

So how do you determine who is better then who  at deer hunting 

When every one is hunting different plots of land with different Terrain?  Different amount of hunters per square miles different amounts of deer per square mile .

Whoever has the largest horn...

About the only thing that can be said about this topic with any certainty is that the one who is beating their chest the loudest, and is frantic to make you believe his prowess, and is desperate that you pay attention to their ranting about their expertise is most likely the most pathetic loser who really has no clue what they are doing.

• Like 3

This will go against the grain of an online forum where we readily share pictures and stories, but I've done a bit of a 180 this year and I think I'm enjoying it more. I've shot some deer and have only shared with family and friends. And the end result has been me feeling better about what I shot, how the hunt went and my overall season. Nothing is going on the wall, but no yearlings were shot either. I think the next step is probably to stop looking at other peoples deer and think "gee I wish that walked by me". But I'm getting older and seasoned enough now where jealousy isn't really part of my hunting experience anymore.

The season isn't over yet, but one take away I personally hold up there is that I wasn't busted this year. I had deer look at me, but never bolt or change their pattern. I had a doe a few weeks ago come in downwind when it was 15-20 mph gusts. She stopped and sensed that she didn't like what she smelled, but never stomped or blew, just slowly backed out. I wasn't blown at, flagged at or even stomped at. For hunting highly pressured land and sitting somewhere in the range of 20-30 times, I am very proud of this as a hunter.

I'm equally as proud to not have lost any. Lost a doe on what I chalk up to being a non fatal brisket shot last year and so far that hasn't happened this year. Can't say all kills were double lungers or hearts, but they all put meat on the table haha.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

This will go against the grain of an online forum where we readily share pictures and stories, but I've done a bit of a 180 this year and I think I'm enjoying it more. I've shot some deer and have only shared with family and friends. And the end result has been me feeling better about what I shot, how the hunt went and my overall season. Nothing is going on the wall, but no yearlings were shot either. I think the next step is probably to stop looking at other peoples deer and think "gee I wish that walked by me". But I'm getting older and seasoned enough now where jealousy isn't really part of my hunting experience anymore.

The season isn't over yet, but one take away I personally hold up there is that I wasn't busted this year. I had deer look at me, but never bolt or change their pattern. I had a doe a few weeks ago come in downwind when it was 15-20 mph gusts. She stopped and sensed that she didn't like what she smelled, but never stomped or blew, just slowly backed out. I wasn't blown at, flagged at or even stomped at. For hunting highly pressured land and sitting somewhere in the range of 20-30 times, I am very proud of this as a hunter.

I'm equally as proud to not have lost any. Lost a doe on what I chalk up to being a non fatal brisket shot last year and so far that hasn't happened this year. Can't say all kills were double lungers or hearts, but they all put meat on the table haha.

the best part of the pics for me isnt those huge, small or no antlers.  Its how happy that person is and we get to share in it and the story.  I check all the time to see how people did out hunting and am happy for each one of them.  Some of the best pics this year were from Culver and those new hunters that got deer.  Ive posted does and bucks- not to brag at all but to share with the folks on this site that we have chatted together all year with to see. And to share the story and my excitement! I'd almost feel guilty not posting them.  lol 

I think the NY big buck board is a bit different - maybe some bragging rights there - which is fine too.  But really i am just as happy for the new person that got their first doe, or a grandkid that got a deer or the guy that has hunted for 40 years and been giving me and other advice here that got a nice buck.  No jealousy.  But also glad you hunt for your enjoyment and if not posting any pics does that then very good for you too.  Its about enjoying the sport the way you want to.  Some want meat, some want antlers, some want adventure, some just want to get away, ... im kinda in for all of it and the stories that go with it.   

• Like 6

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Erroneous! He’s in the 60+ division.

If you are going to make hunting a competition You Really only can compete with people who are hunting the same plot of land as you are to that's the only way to  judge objectively in your case it's you and your dad  hunting  the same plot of land he got the 8 point 

That puts you in last place  this year and the  old man in first  this year :)  since only you 2  hunt that plot .

when I use to hunt with my cousins we use to play that game as well  hunting same land . 

other then that hunting is not a competition you can have over the internet with guys hunting all different areas. 

I’ve said for a long time the only way I would watch a hunting show or a reality show is to make one that combines both. Have 6 episodes with X # of contestants hunt public land in 6 regions north west, south west, north central, south central, north east and south east. Have a day of scouting and 4 days of hunting in each area. Have a scoring system based on rack score, age and weight also giving more points for a buck shot on the first day than a buck shot on the last. Some bow missions and some gun missions. I guarantee this could be a prime time hit across the country on a big channel.

• Like 2

If you are going to make hunting a competition You Really only can compete with people who are hunting the same plot of land as you are to that's the only way to  judge objectively in your case it's you and your dad  hunting  the same plot of land he got the 8 point 
That puts you in last place  this year and the  old man in first  this year  since only you 2  hunt that plot .
when I use to hunt with my cousins we use to play that game as well  hunting same land . 
other then that hunting is not a competition you can have over the internet with guys hunting all different areas. 

Nah because he’s got a million more hours than me

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

About the only thing that can be said about this topic with any certainty is that the one who is beating their chest the loudest, and is frantic to make you believe his prowess, and is desperate that you pay attention to their ranting about their expertise is most likely the most pathetic loser who really has no clue what they are doing.

Oh come on now.. We all know I'm the best... raised along the deep 1000 acre swamps of NNY.. 

Just ask me..

:)

Just in case no one caught it I'm kidding..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

All the damn hairball hunting shows that try to keep score while selling all their doo dads make a joke of hunting. Why worry about who is best? Who gets the biggest? Are you out there just to show that "yours is bigger?"

Thousands of dollars are paid by those who think it is important, to buy show off racks...either from canned hunts or already mounted to  maintain their image and show how they excel. BS. I know plenty of darn good hunters, and a lot of very lucky hunters, and very hard working hunters. None have anything to do with how much they enjoy hunting.

I had the privilege of sharing a camp with a heck of a nice guy once, who you could say was a professional hunter. Very well known writer. No dang way do we go into who that was. It did not seem like he was enjoying his hunt at all. Too much pressure to perform. 

If you are looking at the professional entertainers who have hunting shows, throw that "best hunter" idea right out the window. Although there are a couple who I respect, most filmed hunts are done in high yield areas because they need to show results. Going to a prepared stand site on a paid hunt doesn't make anyone a good hunter.

Now, I have had a guide or two who I would call best level hunters....knowledgeable, respectful, full of love of the game and their part of the world, and they would never go hungry. They had skills no one I have ever met had.

• Like 2