How do you figure out who is the best deer hunter ?

Hunter007

I have known alot of great hunters. I have always tried to learn from them as much as I could. I know who I put on the top of my list and when he gives advise I listen to what he has to say. When I was younger discouraged and hanging it up for the season he would show up with a deer.

I have killed bigger buck than him but it was from listening to his advise that put me in the right place at the right time. He showed me how to be a good outdoorsman and a good man. It saddens me now to see him be unable to do the things he once could without effort it seemed.

Thank you dad for all you taught me.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

I thought that what the 2018 Whitetail Classic was all about. Hunter of the year award?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering is deer breeding more profitable then horse breeding?  

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

As far as the crew here goes, I vote for Chef, since he is in the lead on the contest and has saved me more valuable hunting time than any other member.  G-man gets second, thanks to his providing that PA chest girth chart that I know and love.    I don't know of any bad hunters here, but some are a lot more fun to argue with than others.   It gets boring when everyone thinks the same.   Trying different things is cool and new ideas are always welcome.  Heck, I even threw one up on a scale this year.  Now I know better than to do that again.        

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

I thought that what the 2018 Whitetail Classic was all about. Hunter of the year award?

I think of it as just something fun to do. Like we used to do at camp.  Me and my buddies always go on a fishing trip and we used to throw in a glass $10 each for best fish of the trip.  And sometimes it wasn't always the biggest. 

9 hours ago, Storm914 said:

The  fighting on the crossbow inclusion thread got me wondering about this .

So how do you determine who is better then who  at deer hunting 

When every one is hunting different plots of land with different Terrain?  Different amount of hunters per square miles different amounts of deer per square mile .

I'm not even reading all the replies to this thread. Here's my view, any hunter who has the balls to post them being in the woods whether they kill a deer or not. The men and women on here who post about being in the woods rather then asking questions to get view count ( I did that when I was stupid ).

I don't care who you are, the best hunters are the hunters who post about being in the woods! Doesn't matter if they fill a tag, they share the journey! Rack scores don't mean shit to me! Post up pics of the journey, and if you kill a deer the end result.

But, If I had to put a tag on who is the best single hunter on this site, It would be Larry ( Lawdwaz ). Always kills deer every season.

Another would be Growie, but we all chased her off, and she's not accepting apologies. 

I'm not even reading all the replies to this thread. Here's my view, any hunter who has the balls to post them being in the woods whether they kill a deer or not. The men and women on here who post about being in the woods rather then asking questions to get view count ( I did that when I was stupid ).

I don't care who you are, the best hunters are the hunters who post about being in the woods! Doesn't matter if they fill a tag, they share the journey! Rack scores don't mean shit to me! Post up pics of the journey, and if you kill a deer the end result.

But, If I had to put a tag on who is the best single hunter on this site, It would be Larry ( Lawdwaz ). Always kills deer every season.

Another would be Growie, but we all chased her off, and she's not accepting apologies. 

Must be a Fav thing.

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Nothing wrong with those choices but must be your Fav's because there are a couple that do put up pics every year that put up just as many and bigger. But fair choices I guess.

LOL! 

Sorry to disappoint, I'm not on the Lolli-Pop licker plan. I don't give people credit for trying to see how many licks it takes to get to the center of hunting your area.

So lets hear yours? If you have the balls to stand up for this challenge!

That's an easy one. My choice would be a guy after my own heart! WNY Bowhunter! Locates, Tracks down and kills individual mature, high scoring racks for the most part one on one. Kills plenty of does for meat, does not kill immature bucks. That's a great hunter in my eyes.

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

Seriously 

YES! Grow a pair and stop being a sissy because you post on the political threads! I have posted anti Coumo, Pro gun, and I created a YouTube channel! I stand behind my convictions, and I'm not afraid for people to see my face. Go hide, thats what you do best!

1 minute ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

That's an easy one. My choice would be a guy after my own heart! WNY Bowhunter! Locates, Tracks down and kills individual mature, high scoring racks for the most part one on one. Kills plenty of does for meat, does not kill immature bucks. That's a great hunter in my eyes.

Doesn't prove you do jack shit!

Just now, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Lol. Did you ask me to prove anything? You asked my choice of a real hunter and you got it. I have put enough on this site to prove just where my hunting stands thanks.

Pay attention son! The OP asked that question, not me! I gave my thoughts, you didn't like my reply, so you started a font war. I wouldn't expect anything less of you.

I could pick a couple on this site who I think would qualify but the next person may not agree. Maybe we should think about this before even thinking about who may or may not qualify:

Great hunters set themselves apart by demonstrating these traits

Honesty

This doesn't mean you have to tell everyone where you're hunting or how big that buck is that you have on trail camera. We do ask, though, that you avoid over-exaggerating your stories.

Ethics

You're not surprised ethics made it on a list of top hunting traits. but this one isn't as straight forward as it may seem. Here's one of those great examples where 100 hunters will tell you 100 different things. The best advice? Don't take a shot beyond your skill level. Don't cheat. And don't be wasteful

A Habit of Thinking About Safety

Many hunters get confused about this. The first goal of every hunt is not to bag a giant trophy. Rather, it's simply to return home to your family. Every hunt that ends safely is a successful hunt.

Respect

Respect, in this sense, has two parts. We must be respectful of the animals we're pursuing. They're not for our abuse. In the same regard, we must be respectful of people.

Persistence

Where persistence differs from patience is when circumstances don't go our way. Persistence is that "stick-to-it-iveness" that gets us back up after a defeat or in the face of difficult odds. It's often easier to be patient when waiting for that big buck you captured on camera. Persistence is missing that buck and going back again, and again. Never giving up.

Practice

Not so much an attribute, per se, but something every great hunter swears by. You must be diligent with your practice if you want to succeed as a hunter. This is true not just during the season. It's also not simply shooting. Practice and prepare yourself physically and mentally as well. Getting both your body and mind in the right place will help you maximize your odds of a successfully filled tag.

Willingness to be an Educator

You could also say hunters should avoid being selfish. This is perhaps one of the most important traits on our list. Whether it's your time, your skills, your knowledge or any other resource, don't hesitate to share with someone. Introduce someone new to the world of hunting. Educate an anti-hunting family member or friend on the benefits of hunting for both animals and people. Always be willing to help get the youth involved and teach them respect for the sport and proper techniques.

Humility

You won't bag a trophy every time. Become used to that idea. And if you do tag a giant? Well, don't be a jerk about it. Hunt long enough and you'll know that what goes around comes around. Whether that's with a hard time over a missed bird or gloating over the biggest bull of the year.

Sense of Humor

This trait is often overlooked, but it definitely deserves to be on the list. A great hunter will stay upbeat, positive, and be able to laugh off whatever error they just made. It seems like the folks who can relax and enjoy themselves are the ones who succeed.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1