Would You Support Elk in NY?

pitweiler

interesting read. it's sad to see that they were actually bigger than the rocky mountain elk. I guess I wonder what is holding NY back if PA has had success.

Unless they bought them off a Ny 10 year CWD tested farm I would say no. Documented states now have CWD after bringing in untested Elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

I'd be long gone before there was a viable hunting population. Having said that, sure why not? The more biodiversity, the better. After all, they were once indigenous.

kind of my thoughts too, but I know they've just started grizzly hunting again (or are trying to anyhow). The tag numbers are extraordinarily low, but in time they should grow. Elk are on my bucket list for sure.

3 hours ago, Belo said:

there are probably only pockets where they'd do ok in, not being an expert I'd assume it'd be the same areas inhabited by moose and bear currently. 

Are elk native to NY?

I believe everything you find out west was at one time in new york state just about  at one time 

• Like 1

Quote: "Would You Support Elk in NY?"

Maybe yes....maybe no. I would want some very detailed research done to ensure the compatibility with the deer of the state. I don't want any species introduced that would compete with the deer herd. I would not want any additional species that might introduce or increase any diseases. I am not saying that elk introduction would do any of these things, but I would like to see exhaustive research done to make sure that all i's are dotted and t's crossed when it come to ensuring that there are no unintended consequences.

• Like 1

I read a couple different hunters biographies from the 1800s that referred to hunting elk in south western NY...sorry, cant remember the names. I went to a couple of ROcky Mountain Elk Foundation dinners, (almost twenty years ago, probably) and at that time the speakers were pretty realistic in reporting that elk were never numerous in NY and there were very few areas that would be practical for them. I liked that they were that honest.

I guess I am fine with the thought that there are better places for them.

• Like 2

If they are ever brought into NY state, they will only be thriving in a few concentrated areas.  NY has lost a lot of it's viable Elk habitat over the years.  They would need lots of help for decades to establish a huntable population here.  I'm sure any permits would be by lottery with slim chances to win.  PA has a lot of problems with the Elk in populated areas.  They damage houses and farms and are road hazards too.  It would be nice to have them in NY if they were self sustaining, but if the PA case is any indication, that won't be the case.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I read a couple different hunters biographies from the 1800s that referred to hunting elk in south western NY...sorry, cant remember the names. I went to a couple of ROcky Mountain Elk Foundation dinners, (almost twenty years ago, probably) and at that time the speakers were pretty realistic in reporting that elk were never numerous in NY and there were very few areas that would be practical for them. I liked that they were that honest.

I guess I am fine with the thought that there are better places for them.

Historically  elk bone were found in great numbers in the town of elma at various Indian site I worked on in wny, but not as many as deer bones in Batavia area where in did excavations as well. 

On 12/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, Storm914 said:

I would even suport Hogs in new york but supposedly DEC thinks hunting would not  be able to control the population here .

I think between the weather and hunting  it would easily control the numbers here .

When you hunt hogs the sounder scatters and can and do breed 3 to 4 x a year. 6 to 18 in a little and ready to breed in 6 months. We would never be able to control numbers and in area they are now they are expanding.. the main reason they put a ban on hunting them is to catch them in pen traps as as group to eliminate them

• Like 3

On 12/6/2018 at 2:14 PM, eaglemountainman said:

I'd be long gone before there was a viable hunting population. Having said that, sure why not? The more biodiversity, the better. After all, they were once indigenous.

I think they would have to make a mad dash up I80 to get to the Adirondacks .... probably stand a better chance up there ?