pitweiler

Would You Support Elk in NY?

25 minutes ago, G-Man said:

When you hunt hogs the sounder scatters and can and do breed 3 to 4 x a year. 6 to 18 in a little and ready to breed in 6 months. We would never be able to control numbers and in area they are now they are expanding.. the main reason they put a ban on hunting them is to catch them in pen traps as as group to eliminate them

That's in the south between the hunters the weather Terrain and less food here that would not happen and you could have a super long season and unlimited tags  just to make sure  it wouldn't get out of control.  

16 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

That's in the south between the hunters the weather Terrain and less food here that would not happen and you could have a super long season and unlimited tags  just to make sure  it wouldn't get out of control.  

They are out of control in many areas of Europe where the weather, terrain and hunting pressure is very much like NY state.  They destroy habitats and overwhelm other animal species where they thrive.  I, for one, never want to see them in NY state.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I think they would have to make a mad dash up I80 to get to the Adirondacks .... probably stand a better chance up there ?

The DAKS have the acreage, but not the forage, to support a large Elk herd.  Elk consume a lot of food, especially in very cold climates.

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

They are out of control in many areas of Europe where the weather, terrain and hunting pressure is very much like NY state.  They destroy habitats and overwhelm other animal species where they thrive.  I, for one, never want to see them in NY state.

Actually this experiment has already been done .

The first Europeans  brought over hogs from Europe  not only to places like Florida but all the north east just like horses some did get loose  go wild but look in the areas like new york there are none  of those orginal horses  or pigs  left.  What does that tell you ?it 

Tells you  they simply have a hard time in  the  north east  to survive.  And with hunting doubtful would be a problem like it is down south . If they could not keep from getting killed off back then with less people around ,  with more people and less habitat for them to hide in now it's even less likely the population would get out of control.   Well anyway DEC and plenty of other folks dont want them here so its not going to happen . 

Edited by Storm914

Just now, tommyc50 said:

no take a ride down rt. 80 and see how many cow elk are dead on the side of the road as much as you see deer.

At least pigs are better at not getting hit by cars .

Plus I like pork chops better then venison or horn :)

but what ever farmers and DEC dont want  them here so it's not going to happen. 

but a guy can dream cant he :)

no take a ride down rt. 80 and see how many cow elk are dead on the side of the road as much as you see deer.

I’ve driven rt 80 from the gap to Youngstown many times and have never seen a dead cow elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Storm914 said:

That's here java and Corning

.. you dont want them 

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!