Would You Support Elk in NY?

pitweiler

26 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Actually hunting clubs are very popular in Germany.  But it's a different culture where hunters are well respected and honored for their ethics and dedication to the sport.  Rules are strict and everything is run by hunt masters, but hunting in Germany is far from rare.

Maybe but it's all controlled in a way that probably would not be able to control the population like here  it's long process over there 

Edited by Storm914

• 3 weeks later...

Late to this party, but......

No on bringing Elk back to this state. For reasons already mentioned. I want to add, we have a sustainable Moose population in this state, and they came back on their own. We could easily have a Moose season based on tags being given on a lottery base, and then see how the population does after a year or two. So no on Elk, yes on a Moose hunting season. Lets hunt what we have already and not bring more critters in that may screw up what's already here.

As for the wild boars, that's a dead no, no way, not a chance in hell I would be for this!!! If you have done any real research then you know they are a very invasive species, tear up land, and will kill ( or try ) just about any other animal including humans that messes with them and their territory. Even down south where you can hunt them without limits, they are thriving. We don't need that here! If you love pork that much get yourself a farm and raise and butcher pics.

• Like 1

I agree with Rob on the elk and pigs.   The elk in PA are not Eastern elk, which were hunted to extinction in the early 1900's.  They are from transplanted western elk, which are not really suited to the habitat on this side of the Mississippi.   The biggest reason to keep then out of NY, is the threat they may pose to our wonderful whitetail population.  There are few if any states, where the whitetail meat-hunter has it better than it is in NY right now, and I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.  

Just last week, I heard reports of a disease down in PA, which causes deer to walk sideways and die in their beds with no signs of hunger or wounds.  More than twenty were recently discovered in that condition.   This is the type of thing that happens when "exotics" are imported.   Moose, on the other hand, were historically native to NY, and they are now thriving again up in the Adirondacks.  There are areas up there with more moose than deer sign.   The time is right for a limited, lottery-type season on them.  It would not hurt to take out a few bulls each season.  Moose is also a little tastier than elk, which is another good reason to open a hunting season for them.   

As far as the pigs go, I hope they never establish a foothold in NY.  I can tolerate an occasional meal of pork, but I would get sick of that real fast.  Red meat is where it is at.  Pork is on par with chicken, and just a small step above vegetables in my book.   Our cold climate has been what has held them off for so long.  The current warming trend is going to make it easier for them to spread north.   When it comes to deer hunting, enjoy what you have now, because there is no way it will continue after the pigs make it up here in force.       

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I agree with Rob on the elk and pigs.   The elk in PA are not Eastern elk, which were hunted to extinction in the early 1900's.  They are from transplanted western elk, which are not really suited to the habitat on this side of the Mississippi.   The biggest reason to keep then out of NY, is the threat they may pose to our wonderful whitetail population.  There are few if any states, where the whitetail meat-hunter has it better than it is in NY right now, and I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.  
Just last week, I heard reports of a disease down in PA, which causes deer to walk sideways and die in their beds with no signs of hunger or wounds.  More than twenty were recently discovered in that condition.   This is the type of thing that happens when "exotics" are imported.   Moose, on the other hand, were historically native to NY, and they are now thriving again up in the Adirondacks.  There are areas up there with more moose than deer sign.   The time is right for a limited, lottery-type season on them.  It would not hurt to take out a few bulls each season.  Moose is also a little tastier than elk, which is another good reason to open a hunting season for them.   
As far as the pigs go, I hope they never establish a foothold in NY.  I can tolerate an occasional meal of pork, but I would get sick of that real fast.  Red meat is where it is at.  Pork is on par with chicken, and just a small step above vegetables in my book.   Our cold climate has been what has held them off for so long.  The current warming trend is going to make it easier for them to spread north.   When it comes to deer hunting, enjoy what you have now, because there is no way it will continue after the pigs make it up here in force.       

Please get off the weather having anything to do with wild hogs. Do some research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk