Would you support an early MZ season?

Five Seasons

Early MZ Season  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you Support a week or so of MZ in October?

• Yes
    • No

No, unless by "Early Season" it is designed to be put in between archery and regular season.. then yes!. But not before archery season. I see no reason whatsover to put a early ML season in place ahead of archery season.

Unless it was an aided season to help handicap, youths or elderly etc.. then by all means im on board!  

If it were to go ahead of Archery season, Id be totally against it. Unless there were good reasons im un aware of to justify.. Id gladly listen

Otherwise i would think the hunters who are restricted to close range(archery hunters) deserve first chance... Not trying to sound greedy lol  

• Like 2

No, unless by "Early Season" it is designed to be put in between archery and regular season.. then yes!. But not before archery season. I see no reason whatsover to put a early ML season in place ahead of archery season.
Unless it was an aided season to help handicap, youths or elderly etc.. then by all means im on board!  
If it were to go ahead of Archery season, Id be totally against it. Unless there were good reasons im un aware of to justify.. Id gladly listen
Otherwise i would think the hunters who are restricted to close range(archery hunters) deserve first chance... Not trying to sound greedy lol  

They won't do it to please any bow hunter or anyone else. They will do it because of the lack of the needed numbers of deer killed in an area. Thinking they care about any groups feelings are silly at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I could see them doing it(and they have discussed it) to aid in deer number reduction in problem areas. I have mixed emotions. I do hunt the early ML in the northern zone and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

They won't do it to please any bow hunter or anyone else. They will do it because of the lack of the needed numbers of deer killed in an area. Thinking they care about any groups feelings are silly at best.

I agree, If it passed and ML was the only weapon that can be used legally. I would obviously do what I had to do, to be able to hunt that season. As i would for Xbow, IF it had its own season. 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I could see them doing it(and they have discussed it) to aid in deer number reduction in problem areas. I have mixed emotions. I do hunt the early ML in the northern zone and enjoy it. 

I would enjoy it if it were to pass as well. But I absolutely love hunting with vertical archery equipment. And prefer it over every season..

If an early ML season were in consideration for these "high deer density areas", I could understand that. 

Edited by LET EM GROW

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

putting it before or during archery will sort of kill the "surprise" factor of archery season. Putting it right before gun opens will ruin some of the fun of opening day when the deer don't know what hit em with all the guns going off.

just food for thought. 

• Like 1

I participate in the early muzzleloader season in Pa. because it is there. I wouldn't want to see one in NY. If the deer harvest needs to be increased, I would think that full inclusion for crossbows would be the first step. I am more of a gun hunter, but I enjoyed my first year with a crossbow. It was a peaceful feeling in the woods, I hope to more next year.

Will

How about a 1 week ml season or even flintlock that is the last week of August. Get us a shot at some velvet. It would also give the woods time to quiet down before bow. They could make a separate tag for it and even charge more for the chance at a velvet buck. I’m not really for it but just throwing something out that I wouldn’t be too pissed about

17 hours ago, Belo said:

putting it before or during archery will sort of kill the "surprise" factor of archery season. Putting it right before gun opens will ruin some of the fun of opening day when the deer don't know what hit em with all the guns going off.

just food for thought. 

The same way it would mess with archers that have waited 300 days for opening day?   

I would support it ahead of archery season only if it was doe only, only in the WMUs where the population is too high, and it only stays in place until the population is down to where it needs to be. It should be a relatively short season (a week or 2 at the most) with a 1 week gap between when it ends and bow season begins. If thats not the case, then nope, I dont support it at all.

• Like 4

Decades ago I lamented that there wasn't an early muzzle loading season in the southern zone, every year wishing for a change. That was back when it was round ball shooters only, no optics and "modern" guns where close to unheard of.  If it were still like that I'd say...  have one every few years like the olympics. :) 

So I voted no. Especially now days with our current laws and guns. 

Wanna make it a primitive flintlock only season once every 4-5 years if deer numbers allow, Mmmmaybe.... ;) 

Edited by cas

Sure, an early primitive only ML season using any issued ML tag. IRC, this was discussed decades ago, but never materialized. 

Wish I could bookmark this thread for future reference. If you read between the lines a lot of members are showing their true colors - my season, my deer.

Edited by nyslowhand