Would you support an early MZ season?

Five Seasons

Early MZ Season  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you Support a week or so of MZ in October?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, nyslowhand said:

Sure, an early primitive only ML season using any issued ML tag. IRC, this was discussed decades ago, but never materialized. 

Wish I could bookmark this thread for future reference. If you read between the lines a lot of members are showing their true colors - my season, my deer.

Imho. it's not a my season my deer thing.. Every Hunter is welcome in archery season if they are carrying a bow. if anybody wants to hunt earlier , they have the option of using a bow. (And probably sooner or later a crossbow) . seems pretty simple. .

It always ruffles my feathers when we are infighting like it's gun hunters against archers, etc.. we are all hunters. Probably 90+% of archers drop there bow opening day of firearms or mzl season.

We have separate seasons for a reason..

Pandering to those that want it easier doesn't seem like the path that us as hunters ought to support. 

• Like 2

Sure, an early primitive only ML season using any issued ML tag. IRC, this was discussed decades ago, but never materialized. 
Wish I could bookmark this thread for future reference. If you read between the lines a lot of members are showing their true colors - my season, my deer.

Your comment is beyond ignorant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard from a pretty reliable source that x bow is now going to require the archery course next year. If that happens and it is removed from muzzleloader status I would support a early muzzleloader season in areas of high deer numbers in sept. Like 9 f.. for example

On 12/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, landtracdeerhunter said:

Part of the chill; is part of the fun, LOL.

Eh nope... plus this year lots of bucks dropping horns early..  I'd be up. For 3 day muzzleloader in sept. In areas of high deer numbers. 9f for example even if doe only

If it included buck hunting, it will be a crap show because it won't cover the goal of the DEC - reducing numbers in key areas. Few will pop a doe in the heat and risk alerting a buck they are after that they could realistically take right then and there.

Kansas has an early ML season and it seems to be effective there, but they also do things a bit different management wise.

16 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

There is no season that prevents any licensed able bodied hunter from hunting. So your comment doesn't make any sense. 

If you want to have the "my deer" discussion, it's better served for those that buy, lease and post their land and don't allow anyone else to hunt it. That's "my deer". 

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I voted no but doe only in high pop areas for 3 days in Sept. would be fine.  Wouldn't be much different than nuisance permits.

yeah but nuisance permits aren't available everywhere.

Honestly how many of your areas would you avoid though? Just so you don't tip off mr. big or eliminate your bait? I know I'd probably hunt those 3 days at one of our properties, but not the other. no way.

1 minute ago, Belo said:

yeah but nuisance permits aren't available everywhere.

Honestly how many of your areas would you avoid though? Just so you don't tip off mr. big or eliminate your bait? I know I'd probably hunt those 3 days at one of our properties, but not the other. no way.

High density areas they are not hard to come by.   Not sure how much I would hunt it but I seriously doubt a 3 day season in sept would impact bow season on any of our properties.   A few of them have guts shooting on the nuisance permits anyway and on the others the pressure is limited.   

I guess I have said it often enough back in every "crossbow topic", but I will say it again. It is only a matter of time before firearms become part of bow season. The fact is that they already are. Not long ago we had a threat from the DEC of adding muzzleloaders to areas of under-harvest. It didn't take them too long to put the role of total deer herd management on the backs of bowhunters when they thought they could get away with it. "You bowhunters better control that herd or we'll be adding muzzleloaders". I see from the results of this thread that the idea has now been permanently implanted in the minds of many hunters. Little by little, precedent by precedent, bow season is becoming a "catch-all" season for anyone with any weapon to stake a claim.