First fly rod

johnplav

Any fly-fisherman out there?  My wife's grandfather gave me his fly collection, so now Iv got myself another hobby.

Any suggestions on a starter fly rod setup?  Brand, weight, length, action?

I'm in the Rochester area, so Ill be fishing local creeks, as well as finger lakes and Lake O tribs. 

Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 3

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

small cricks , learn a roll cast.  I saw too many movies and tv shows and thought i should be doing those pretty "and a river runs thru it " casts.  And trees ate a lot of my best flies!  lol 

Yea, I'll be practicing alot in the yard and off the boat.  

• Like 1

I HIGHLY recommend Maxcatch fly rods for a beginner outfit, actually for anyone. I own 3 of these fly rods and they are awesome for the price! Their reels are great also, I use them on bass to steelhead and can't say enough about them, and if you happen to break one well you didn't spend a ton on it! You can piece together an awesome combo for right around $100+/-. Careful though, fly fishing is addicting! There's nothing more fun than stripping hand tied streamers in the spring for 5lb smallies.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Just now, chrisw said:

I HIGHLY recommend Maxcatch fly rods for a beginner outfit, actually for anyone. I own 3 of these fly rods and they are awesome for the price! Their reels are great also, I use them on bass to steelhead and can't say enough about them, and if you happen to break one well you didn't spend a ton on it! You can piece together an awesome combo for right around $100+/-. Careful though, fly fishing is addicting! There's nothing more fun than stripping hand tied streamers in the spring for 5lb smallies.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I dont mind paying for quality when I buy things, but I guess I didn't think about the breaking it.

And yea, just like fishing, hunting, shooting, bow-hunting, trolling... I know this will be another obsession that I will happily throw time and $ at.  

I'd start with a 5wt 9ft......triangle taper weight forward makes learning casting easier in general IMO. Some pick it up faster than other, good you tube videos out there.

If you get the feeling you want to stick with it, may want to learn how to tie some basic flies with modest investment. TU chapters often have tying classes and fishing classes (How I got started) for a good exposure to the basics of both. Good timing as they are over the winter period often.

• Like 2

I'm probably a minority (again).  But I would see if there's an Orvis nearby.  They offer free introductory courses in fly fishing, and they tend to be pretty good.  And you get good discount coupons when you do one.  Orvis equipment is guaranteed for life, and there's generally a lot of support, including fishing trips with experienced fly fishermen.  My son and I did these a couple years ago, and learned a lot.  

Personally, there's no amount of money you could pay me to shop at Dick's.  But that's a personal decision...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jmark said:

I'm probably a minority (again).  But I would see if there's an Orvis nearby.  They offer free introductory courses in fly fishing, and they tend to be pretty good.  And you get good discount coupons when you do one.  Orvis equipment is guaranteed for life, and there's generally a lot of support, including fishing trips with experienced fly fishermen.  My son and I did these a couple years ago, and learned a lot.  

Personally, there's no amount of money you could pay me to shop at Dick's.  But that's a personal decision...

No minority to me......

Even if there isn't an Orvis affiliated shop close by; the 5 or 6 shops by me all will take someone out for a casting lesson and help set up a beginner.

Great idea.

Screw Dick's, not a penny.

Oh lord ... run .. it starts with one then next thing you know its 26 or so .. fly tying gear.... rod building...

Stockies I would go with a fast 5 wt fly rod . Faster rods will make it easier to cover minor mistakes in casting. Weight forward taper or double taper line.

Natives .. brookies fish up to 16 inches or so 3 or 4 wt at 8 foot or so.

Finger lakes lake run bows  6 or 7 wt fly rod 9 or 10 ft

Steelhead I like an 8 wt 9 or 10 footer.

Check out a local TU chapter they usually have a class or two for beginners. I think its Seth Green chapter up that way. Usually people  will mentor  a person for a few trips.

Hold on to your wallet and enjoy.

• Like 1

dicks ,cabelas all seel comb sets I got a 5 wt which is perfect .Just you tube to see how to cast and ty knots[I orginally I fished fresh water and a lot of that was fly  but being from nyc I fished salt and about 10 yrs ago I got back into it but it was a learning curve. Speaking of you tube look for lady fly fishing w/ her feet it will make you cry see she had polio as a kid and had limited use of her arms and  cast with her legs its by orvis

32 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

What ever you get .. get a rod tube . Break it down and use the damn tube every time you put it in the car. We all break rods accidents.happen . But most decent rods start in hundreds it hurts to break a tip off  and there is no real repair  that can make a flyy rod whole.

I second that I learned the hard way

We go into Vermont quite often. Always stop at Orvis in Manchester. Always walk out lighter in the wallet too.....hehehe

But everything is buy once, cry once from there. And I really enjoy talking with the staff, who are all friendly, and light years ahead of me in fly fishing knowledge. 

What kind of fishing you intend to do will determine length and rod weight. I have rods from 2wt - 12wt, but as I fish trout mostly I fish a 4wt more often than not. But a 5/6 wt may be better for the finger lakes. And despite owning $900 rods, the one I usually fish cost $75 on sale from $150 - Redington Classic Trout.

I'm heading to Patagonia next week and will bring the CT 4wt and a T&T 6 wt for lakes and wind.

I would avoid a combo set and look for the best rod, line and reel you can afford in that order. Buy the rod from a known reputable company - Orvis, Sage, T&T, Winston, Loomis - as they come with 25 year or lifetime warranties. Then ask advice from the shop as to best line to pair with it. If you're lucky they will let you try a few lines or even better they will set up six or so rods to try.

Other than a bonefish or salmon set up, I don't care that much about reels. I almost never put a trout on the reel and no trout or bass has ever taken me into the backing. (I'm including some pretty big fish here.)

The best thing is to come with a few options and someone can walk you through them. Or trust your shop.

Some reading: https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2017-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-best-5-weight-rod-best-fishing-pole-best-fly-rod-g-loomis-nrx-lp-scott-radian-g-loomis-asquith-t-t-avantt-thomas-and-thomas-avant-edge-by-gary-loomis-orvis-h2-covert-winston-air-sage-x

TL;DR mid-priced medium-fast Orvis 9' 5wt with a high-end WF floating line and whatever reel catches your eye.

• Thanks 1

What kind of fishing you intend to do will determine length and rod weight. I have rods from 2wt - 12wt, but as I fish trout mostly I fish a 4wt more often than not. But a 5/6 wt may be better for the finger lakes. And despite owning $900 rods, the one I usually fish cost $75 on sale from $150 - Redington Classic Trout.
I'm heading to Patagonia next week and will bring the CT 4wt and a T&T 6 wt for lakes and wind.
I would avoid a combo set and look for the best rod, line and reel you can afford in that order. Buy the rod from a known reputable company - Orvis, Sage, T&T, Winston, Loomis - as they come with 25 year or lifetime warranties. Then ask advice from the shop as to best line to pair with it. If you're lucky they will let you try a few lines or even better they will set up six or so rods to try.
Other than a bonefish or salmon set up, I don't care that much about reels. I almost never put a trout on the reel and no trout or bass has ever taken me into the backing. (I'm including some pretty big fish here.)
The best thing is to come with a few options and someone can walk you through them. Or trust your shop.
Some reading: https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2017-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-best-5-weight-rod-best-fishing-pole-best-fly-rod-g-loomis-nrx-lp-scott-radian-g-loomis-asquith-t-t-avantt-thomas-and-thomas-avant-edge-by-gary-loomis-orvis-h2-covert-winston-air-sage-x
TL;DR mid-priced medium-fast Orvis 9' 5wt with a high-end WF floating line and whatever reel catches your eye.

Please please please start a live from Patagonia thread!
  • Like 3