johnplav

First fly rod

Recommended Posts

It would be dull. I've only taken one pic of a fish in my life and that was per the request of an Icelandic guide as I was lucky enough to catch a fish under impossible conditions. (I made him hold the fish.)

I mostly just shoot slow-motion video of every river I've stepped in. They're really boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t worry guys... if I manage to catch a fish while fly-fishing I’ll post a pic of that beautiful bluegill. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:


Please please please start a live from Patagonia thread!

I agree..There must be some whorehouses down there....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a cabelas starter fly rod and reel combo set ages ago as a cheap way into the addiction and used that damn thing for years and years to catch steelhead and salmon. I fished with friends more expensive Rod and reels and no doubt could you feel the difference but no way was I going to spend that much to get started. Hell I still haven’t spent that much. I wish I had the time to still get out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a lot of work for a 8” fish. Heard the San Juan fly works good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Seems like a lot of work for a 8” fish. Heard the San Juan fly works good
 

And money. There were a few trips where the cost per fish caught made me shake my head. And then I tossed them back.  

Thankfully, I subscribe to the Thoreau misquote: Many men fish all their lives fishing without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Seems like a lot of work for a 8” fish. Heard the San Juan fly works good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard the 'Coyote Ugly' is pretty good too!  Will see if I can get Tacks to send me a couple to lose in the trees!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've heard the 'Coyote Ugly' is pretty good too!  Will see if I can get Tacks to send me a couple to lose in the trees!!!

Hey I wanted to send them you said you were a jig guy lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seems like a lot of work for a 8” fish. Heard the San Juan fly works good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not really the size of the fish that matters in a lot of these situations. I can have just as much fun fishing small pocket water with a size 18 hares ear, catching 6" brookies as I do catching 20" browns. It's more about the setup, presentation, being stealthy, showing them what they want. I really enjoy sitting down with a whiskey at the fly tying vise and tying all afternoon. It's a lot more involved than most would think. Hell, I go through a lot of time and money to kill deer too, be cheaper for me to go buy meat but I do it because I love it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been fly fishing for salmon/steelhead for a few years, and just started fly fishing last year. Id look at cabelas or even better sierra trading post. You can get some great deals on nice outfits. A 5wt will do you the best here in NY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill bet theres a fly fishing forum out there with smoking deals from guys that always want the newest offering and sell last years


I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chrisw said:

It's not really the size of the fish that matters in a lot of these situations. I can have just as much fun fishing small pocket water with a size 18 hares ear, catching 6" brookies as I do catching 20" browns. It's more about the setup, presentation, being stealthy, showing them what they want. I really enjoy sitting down with a whiskey at the fly tying vise and tying all afternoon. It's a lot more involved than most would think. Hell, I go through a lot of time and money to kill deer too, be cheaper for me to go buy meat but I do it because I love it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 

Exactly. Im as happy catching little brookies in Adk beaver ponds as I am catching 6lb steelies. Later in the summer its like hunting, watch for that one rising fish and try and get a fly over him

  • Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:


Hey I wanted to send them you said you were a jig guy lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am, for bass!! 

But it really doesn't matter what I use for trout, even the 'Coyote Ugly' can't help me! Because I am probably the world's worst trout fisherman! I think I'm in the record book for that title!!! I've taken kids and first timers many times, and been out fished. I have been with really good trout fishermen, who were hauling in fish, one after another. They'd set me up with exactly with what they were using, only to grin and chuckle at my expense, when I caught nothing! Perhaps after every 1000 casts, I will have a trout feel sorry for me, and let me bring him in, to be released.

Pretty sure even the guides and instructors at Orvis have blacklisted me now too. Though I continue to add to their retirement fund. And there is always some new do-dad that I must buy from them.

So why waste a perfectly great fly like the 'Coyote Ugly', on a tangled mess in a bush, just beyond my reach.

But 2019 will be my year!!!!

Pretty sure I say that every year though.....................grin

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, grampy said:

I am, for bass!! 

But it really doesn't matter what I use for trout, even the 'Coyote Ugly' can't help me! Because I am probably the world's worst trout fisherman! I think I'm in the record book for that title!!! I've taken kids and first timers many times, and been out fished. I have been with really good trout fishermen, who were hauling in fish, one after another. They'd set me up with exactly with what they were using, only to grin and chuckle at my expense, when I caught nothing! Perhaps after every 1000 casts, I will have a trout feel sorry for me, and let me bring him in, to be released.

Pretty sure even the guides and instructors at Orvis have blacklisted me now too. Though I continue to add to their retirement fund. And there is always some new do-dad that I must buy from them.

So why waste a perfectly great fly like the 'Coyote Ugly', on a tangled mess in a bush, just beyond my reach.

But 2019 will be my year!!!!

Pretty sure I say that every year though.....................grin

 

We've got to meet up this summer, maybe the West Canada?


I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ill bet theres a fly fishing forum out there with smoking deals from guys that always want the newest offering and sell last years

There is: https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?forums/17/

It can be overwhelming so it helps to know what you're after. For a first rod, I would advise the OP to go to a local shop and buy from them.

 

Edited by left field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We've got to meet up this summer, maybe the West Canada?

Absolutely!!!!

If not for the trout, for the beer and burgers and laughs !!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive fished the Cabelas 5WT packages and they are great, or if you want to spend a bit more get the Orvis Clearwater. If you get "hooked" youre going to upgrade and diversify a little bit. Me and my buddy have gotten into fishing glass rods they are fun to cast. We also fish a little 7' 4WT in the late Summer when we tag team a spot, we fish together and alternate. Hes got a 7' Sage LLS, I've got the 8'6". Our agreement is the first one of us to die the other gets both rods lol 


I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I would say is that the reel is mostly a decoration, get one with a good drag and youre all set. Put your money into rods and good waders

  • Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One thing I would say is that the reel is mostly a decoration, get one with a good drag and youre all set. Put your money into rods and good waders
Exactly, it's just a line holder. No need to spend a ton of money on one, a good smooth drag is all you need for the bigger fish, small streams you really don't even need a drag. If you do any kind of cold weather fishing a sealed drag is a must because they will freeze up on you. I bought the below rod as my first and still use it. It handles 5lb smallies all spring and never an issue. Screenshot_2018-12-07-11-21-28.jpegScreenshot_2018-12-07-11-21-23.jpeg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9’ 5wt will treat you well. Take a look at the new Orvis Clearwater offerings. They should be available in the next couple months. I own 3 recons, have broke them all and had them repaired for free. It is just a matter of time before you break the rod. They have a shop in Rochester which makes life easy. Reel doesn’t matter much until you get into lake run fish.

Clearwater: https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/orvis-clearwater-fly-rod-1.html

Their recon rod is amazing for the price: https://m.orvis.com/category/recon-fly-rods

You can score good deals off https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92-spey-classifieds/#/forums/92?page=1

It is a 2 hand forum but guys sell all kinds of sticks. I’ve scored a couple brand new for 50% off retail.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.