I've FALLEN and I can't get UP !!

Pygmy

I won't make fun of the poor old lady on the medic alert commercials any more...

Last Sunday night I hunted my tower and had just walked back to my truck, which was parked along the road on the property, since it was too sloppy to drive in..

Suddenly both of my legs felt like they  were full of lead, and I went down on my knees...

I tried to get back up on my feet, and did not have the strength...I placed my rifle butt in the mud  along the shoulder of the road and tried to pull myself up, but could not get my legs to work..

My truck was about 25-30 yards away, so I crawled on my hands and knees through the mud and made it to the front of the truck...I grabbed the grill with both hands and tried to pull myself to my feet, but could NOT do it....By this time I had struggled for quite awhile trying to get up, and finally decided it was futile...There I was in the mud and rain on my knees on the shoulder of the ( dirt) road.. I fumbled with my cell phone, but the light went out, and I did not have my flashlight with me...After a few minutes. a vehicle came up the road, and I waved my orange hat  and a pretty young lady stopped and asked me if I needed help....Hehehe..

I took an ambulance ride and spent the evening in the emergency room...My condition abated after awhile and they did all kinds of tests and ruled out some bad stuff like heart attack, stroke and some other stuff.....I went home that night but went to the Doc the next day...So far they have not  come up with a reason why it occurred, just a few guesses..

Unfortunately,  when I was struggling to get up, I pulled some muscles in my right thigh, so I have been gimping around dealing with that, although it is improving daily...

Getting old ain't for sissies....

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

Hope you feel better and get some answers!  My legs have been getting craaaaaazy hardcore charlie horses this whole season.  I don't know if it's from not drinking enough water or getting older, or if the multiple layers or heavy ass boots.  I turned 35 in September and have been more sore for longer.  I got my buck on the 2nd last day of bow.  Shot him low and tracked him in the snow for 2.5 miles to another property, then had to double back.  In my truck talking to the landowner I had to get out on the side of the road and stretch, it hurt so bad!  There I am upper half in the truck, ass end hanging out in the street trying to get permission to retrieve my deer.  I found him and was able to put a 2nd arrow in him.  I went out this last Tuesday and same thing, crazy, really painful cramps. 

1 minute ago, buffalojay83 said:

Hope you feel better and get some answers!  My legs have been getting craaaaaazy hardcore charlie horses this whole season.  I don't know if it's from not drinking enough water or getting older, or if the multiple layers or heavy ass boots.  I turned 35 in September and have been more sore for longer.  I got my buck on the 2nd last day of bow.  Shot him low and tracked him in the snow for 2.5 miles to another property, then had to double back.  In my truck talking to the landowner I had to get out on the side of the road and stretch, it hurt so bad!  There I am upper half in the truck, ass end hanging out in the street trying to get permission to retrieve my deer.  I found him and was able to put a 2nd arrow in him.  I went out this last Tuesday and same thing, crazy, really painful cramps. 

buffalojay83, try drinking some tonic water to get some quinine in you, or try this product

26 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I won't make fun of the poor old lady on the medic alert commercials any more...

Last Sunday night I hunted my tower and had just walked back to my truck, which was parked along the road on the property, since it was too sloppy to drive in..

Suddenly both of my legs felt like they  were full of lead, and I went down on my knees...

I tried to get back up on my feet, and did not have the strength...I placed my rifle butt in the mud  along the shoulder of the road and tried to pull myself up, but could not get my legs to work..

My truck was about 25-30 yards away, so I crawled on my hands and knees through the mud and made it to the front of the truck...I grabbed the grill with both hands and tried to pull myself to my feet, but could NOT do it....By this time I had struggled for quite awhile trying to get up, and finally decided it was futile...There I was in the mud and rain on my knees on the shoulder of the ( dirt) road.. I fumbled with my cell phone, but the light went out, and I did not have my flashlight with me...After a few minutes. a vehicle came up the road, and I waved my orange hat  and a pretty young lady stopped and asked me if I needed help....Hehehe..

I took an ambulance ride and spent the evening in the emergency room...My condition abated after awhile and they did all kinds of tests and ruled out some bad stuff like heart attack, stroke and some other stuff.....I went home that night but went to the Doc the next day...So far they have not  come up with a reason why it occurred, just a few guesses..

Unfortunately,  when I was struggling to get up, I pulled some muscles in my right thigh, so I have been gimping around dealing with that, although it is improving daily...

Getting old ain't for sissies....

I was wondering why we hadn’t seen a post from you in a bit. Glad your ok sir. Well one things for sure your still young at heart,  aka checking out your young savior. 

i hope you heal up quickly. docs are probably playing dumb. nothing to worry. they couldn't tell you that you should've tossed it back in there and then zipped up your barn door you didn't know was down. i mean it would've restored your center of gravity and balance. you could've strutted right back to the truck then.  sure caught that young ladies attention. you should be happy you made her day. i suppose if anything else was the case i hope the docs find it but yea. it's pretty obvious. still keep us in the loop.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, buffalojay83 said:

I have little body fat, so that hurts with water retention, so I have to drink a noticeable difference more than others I work with or my legs are very prone to cramping.

I also notice using a runners electrolyte mix is very helpful, using a product from Skratch Labs another hunter turned my on to. No sugars like sports drinks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scary stuff I hope you get an answer i had something like that happen last year up in catskills a long way to my truck legs locked up but not cramps took me half an hour to get upright using my bow for a cane it took me four hours to hile down should have been half hour good luck 

11 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I have little body fat, so that hurts with water retention, so I have to drink a noticeable difference more than others I work with or my legs are very prone to cramping.

I also notice using a runners electrolyte mix is very helpful, using a product from Skratch Labs another hunter turned my on to. No sugars like sports drinks. 

Lots of water with sea salt seems to help with the cramps. I used to get them in my hands and fingers during the summer doing construction work.  It's debilitating and stops your day for a while. Like you say there's just too much sugar in sports drinks like gatorade. Stay hydrated, no matter what you're doing. As we get older that seems to become even more critical.