Hung meat

crappyice

The last week of bow, my hunting partner shot a doe. I skinned, quartered and hung it in a shed for a week. Temperature is not the issue.

On opening day of gun I processed and ground much of that deer and freezer packed the meat.

He took out a few packs to make burgers the other day and reported that the meat looked awesome-no smell, great color and feel.

HOWEVER, he freaked out that for the week it hung, mice must have crawled on the meat, taking some nibbles, pisses and shats on the hanging meat and he can’t get over the fact that the meat must be tainted from mice during the hanging period.

Any reality to his fear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tell him mice don't eat meat and mice HATE raw meat and will not go near it . How ever rats love meat So as long as your not in nyc your ok  . Your meats fine the longer it hangs [in cold temps below 40 degs ] the better . I posted asking about my meat cause it froze then rained and went to 50 but guys told me it was ok and it was fine also see all the dried meat that's exposed to air has to be trimmed away any way [that's why I always pull my tenderloins when I field dress so they don't shrivel up].

Why let it hang if its gonna have mice pissing and shitting on it . 

There is zero evidence (no chewed bits, no off odor, no dropping’s) that they actually do run the meat. However isn’t it possible that any deer that hangs could potentially be contacted by rodents, birds, etc even if hanging in a tree. This meat was hanging in a “door less garage” for lack of a better description which must be more protected then under a tree like I assume many use.

I ate a burger from it tonight as a test run. Feel fine but I do have a hankering for peanut butter and an urge to scratch inside the walls!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk