How many deer do you think are on your property?

Hunter007

17 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Interesting so if the guys who own  big plot of land cant tell wonder how DEC knows. 

I would imagine there is an equation that is out together. Deer kill reports, road kills, ag areas vs dense forest and so on. I can sit in a stand at early bow and see a few deer. At late muzzleloader I can be in the same stand and see 20-30 deer. 

I remember an article where the guy suggested you count the piles of deer poop on your property and spray paint them. Then do the same thing three days later so you know which ones are new. He had some calculation for how many times a deer poops a day or something so you could do the math and get a count. It was maybe the dumbest thing I ever read in my life. And now you’re all dumber for having heard about it and for that I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Interesting so if the guys who own  big plot of land cant tell wonder how DEC knows. 

DEC and other groups like foresters, can use a browse study for population estimates.

Just in general and its easy to read up on this;  you grid of a property, then at every intersecting grid point you select a diameter around that point, and tally how many browsed plants are in the circle, types, droppings....

Thats crunched on some formulas that have been backed by some other research and out comes a pretty reliable number.

I've participated with DEC on surveying several public and private properties a few years ago for a couple seasons; and got pretty good at the shorthand field notations used and you can cover some ground in a hurry with a 2 man team. GPS has made it stupid easy, and we did pretty well even old school. You need about a square mile or so....we did 700  to 800 acre sections; after snow, before green up I think is still the basic rule.

Now I'm sure there will be those here that doubt all this, but frankly population estimates and harvest rates determined by sample are pretty damn good math for the statistics. They have been for some time too. 

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Depends on how big your perimeter fence is right FSW?!?

My property currently had 4.5 (all wrapped in freezer paper and frozen!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know if FSW has a fence but I'm surprised that he has not answered the question?

Maybe it's a trade secret 

In his business.  

I dont know if FSW has a fence but I'm surprised that he has not answered the question?
Maybe it's a trade secret 
In his business.  

Because it's a question that can't be answered. What would my 100 head on the farm of 20 acres have to do with what's on this 900 acres or the 125 in Western Ny?

29 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Because it's a question that can't be answered. What would my 100 head on the farm of 20 acres have to do with what's on this 900 acres or the 125 in Western Ny?

Well Deer are attracted to other deer  just the smell of those deer there piss and crap  and there feed probably would attract other  deer from miles around . You dont have a idea of what's on your 900 unfenced acres ?   Bet you it is  alot more then it would be with out those 20 acres of fenced deer in there .   

Well Deer are attracted to other deer  just the smell of those deer there piss and crap  and there feed probably would attract other  deer from miles around . You dont have a idea of what's on your 900 unfenced acres ?   Bet you it is  alot more then it would be with out those 20 acres of fenced deer in there .   

Negative. It's 800 acres of premium deer feed in everything a deer could want and we had the land years before we fenced any in. With 60,000 acres of military base on our border we get a huge amount of traveling bucks and does. Feed on us by night and bed on the base by day. If there were 20 deer on us at any givin time I would be shocked. We are still in 6G and far from an overpopulated WMU.

5 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Negative. It's 800 acres of premium deer feed in everything a deer could want and we had the land years before we fenced any in. With 60,000 acres of military base on our border we get a huge amount of traveling bucks and does. Feed on us by night and bed on the base by day. If there were 20 deer on us at any givin time I would be shocked. We are still in 6G and far from an overpopulated WMU.

No most be more then that   your telling me you have  only 2.5  deer per 100 acres ?

A lot,!!! have taken an average of 18 deer a year off my.place for 25 years, this years tally is 6 buck and 9 doe so far..  I have 5 different family.groups of doe and 2 distinct groups of bucks the ridge runners and the bottom bucks. Add transient buck and again there are a lot. I have actively managed my places habitat for 23 years. That is key above all else imo i

If you want to to know permanant never leave resident 0

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

A lot,!!! have taken an average of 18 deer a year off my.place for 25 years, this years tally is 6 buck and 9 doe so far..  I have 5 different family.groups of doe and 2 distinct groups of bucks the ridge runners and the bottom bucks. Add transient buck and again there are a lot. I have actively managed my places habitat for 23 years. That is key above all else imo i
If you want to to know permanant never leave resident 0

New vote for Best Hunter!!!! Real good stuff G-man!

• Like 1