How many deer do you think are on your property?

Hunter007

A lot,!!! have taken an average of 18 deer a year off my.place for 25 years, this years tally is 6 buck and 9 doe so far..  I have 5 different family.groups of doe and 2 distinct groups of bucks the ridge runners and the bottom bucks. Add transient buck and again there are a lot. I have actively managed my places habitat for 23 years. That is key above all else imo i
If you want to to know permanant never leave resident 0

As far as the 6 buck go.....is any legal buck a go in your property?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

As far as the 6 buck go.....is any legal buck a go in your property?

The rule is if your happy with buck you can shoot it. Dont compliance if someone shoots something bigger. 

I have one guy that use to shoot 1st legal buck he saw,after 5 or 6 years of that he decided to wait for a 2 year old. He took one.. he now waits for 3 year old and older.. it's a natural evolution. I also have an elderly hunter who always waited for nice buck. He now Shoots 1st legal buck he has chance at in gun..as it maybe last one he ever takes..though he still is picky in bow season.. they are happy makes me happy seeing people happy. It's a fun layed back. Camp and the comroderie is a lot of fun.

I should of also added 1 bear and 2 coyotes this year as well 1st time ever with 2 coyotes..

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 4

Wow some of you have low populations!  Here in Suffolk we have many, very high population areas.  I did all public this year, some properties simply have much more deer than others.  I estimate 35-70 per square mile in some high area's I hunt.  It is rare that I do not see deer every outing, this year my opening day was the only day I saw none and it was a lower population area.  Often the properties I hunt have at least 30 plus deer in the area of 400 acers, we do a good dent to the population in these areas but outside where private properties are located holds even more deer.

I would second that vote for G-Man.  Making your habitat suitable and preferred for deer is key to having a good deer population, all my hunting friends who do this have really good success.  Like this one.

IMG_4637.JPG

• Like 3

The rule is if your happy with buck you can shoot it. Dont compliance if someone shoots something bigger. 
I have one guy that use to shoot 1st legal buck he saw,after 5 or 6 years of that he decided to wait for a 2 year old. He took one.. he now waits for 3 year old and older.. it's a natural evolution. I also have an elderly hunter who always waited for nice buck. He now Shoots 1st legal buck he has chance at in gun..as it maybe last one he ever takes..though he still is picky in bow season.. they are happy makes me happy seeing people happy. It's a fun layed back. Camp and the comroderie is a lot of fun.
I should of also added 1 bear and 2 coyotes this year as well 1st time ever with 2 coyotes..
That's awesome....hunted out of a camp in Belmont(9p) for years......owner didn't bow hunt...... so that wasnt allowed on the property. Opening day of rifle whatever you felt happy with taking he was ok with. If we we're lucky enough to hve doe tags it sure was a fun camp experience to have 4-5 deer hanging on the camp meet pole by noon.
Neighbors would stop by and we would have a great time talkimg about the morning success.

On camera I can identify 4  different does  one with yearlings and 3 bucks that are regulars. I have 5 different bucks that show up every week or so and 3 different  that are on camera maybe  once or twice in 4 months so I would say.9 that use my 30 acres regularly.  Now you have to remove 2 does and one buck  so I'm going to make an educated  guess  of 6. 

On our 30 acres, we run cams year round. we typically have a doe with 2 fawns summer/fall, in January sometimes there’s a second group and they join up and we get pics of a 4-6 does/fawns. Bucks - we usually have 4-5 small bucks that are active on cam all summer and fall. Then usually 2 or 3 good bucks (2.5+). But of course, these deer leave the property daily or weekly. Once October/November comes it’s usually the same 2 young bucks and same W bigger bucks on cam. I guess the others get booted out? We always get sparring pics late September

2017 and 2018 my dad has killed 3 bucks that were never on cam- all November bucks. Actually 1 was on cam but it was that morning right before he shot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Yes many might think that but for me quality trumps quantity. Hence the taking of only large mature older age bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So then why the low number estimate ?

If you only take the big ones and no doe your place should be on the high end one would think .

Edited by Storm914