Great great grandparents gift

Bionic

I just wanted to share a little something that I aquired from my dad tonight.  I don’t post much about smoking meats, and processing etc.  partly due to the fact that my father, and I use venison for making homemade smoked snack sticks, home made smoked sausage, etc and how we both are not successful huntersas far as harvesting goes.  Anyways, my grandpa grew up in PA near Lancaster, and was raised on the farm making home smoked, and cured meats, pickled foods, scrapple, and so on.  These meat hooks were my dad’s great grandparents, and they used them to hang meat in their smokers.  My dad has used a few of them over the years as well, and he gave me a couple that he used, in addition to a few he has not used.  These may not look like much, but these are unbelievably meaningful, and I cannot be happier to display them in my home.  I just wanted to share, dad says they have to be over a hundred years old.  

7824DF3B-5CD9-4725-A8D2-B0C1A2DDDD58.jpeg

9F4B50E4-095B-4C88-8396-53E1A1A50B41.jpeg

76D9F4F0-0C91-4281-B615-815FE049A559.jpeg

639C6139-5742-4CF9-9ED5-BE60630E2FEF.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 19

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Those hooks look really cool! Probably hand forged too. 

Anything passed down through generations, like that, needs to be treasured. You are doing just that my friend. Awsome.

Absolutely! Couldn’t agree more, these hooks mean the world to me.

• Like 1

Great pieces! 

It is amazing how many families nowadays have no appreciation for the simple but important items from their families history, like your hooks. I have a simple claw hammer which was my great grandfathers....(I am actually lucky enough to have quite a few family items/ tools, etc). I fondly remember the day when I was small, and was helping dad with some project...he bent a nail, grumbled with a smile, and said

"Ya know, considering how old this hammer is, you would think it would have learned how to pound a nail strait by now". He then mentioned that it was his grandfathers. 

My wife grabbed it to do something out in the garden with it, and she couldn't understand the big deal when I found it lying on the ground later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Great pieces! 

It is amazing how many families nowadays have no appreciation for the simple but important items from their families history, like your hooks. I have a simple claw hammer which was my great grandfathers....(I am actually lucky enough to have quite a few family items/ tools, etc). I fondly remember the day when I was small, and was helping dad with some project...he bent a nail, grumbled with a smile, and said

"Ya know, considering how old this hammer is, you would think it would have learned how to pound a nail strait by now". He then mentioned that it was his grandfathers. 

My wife grabbed it to do something out in the garden with it, and she couldn't understand the big deal when I found it lying on the ground later.

Yeah, and unfortunately we live in a throw-away society because most items nowadays are junk, and not made to last.  

I can absolutely see your frustration with the hammer! My grandpa was actually a carpenter building homes for over 30 years after the service, and when he moved from PA.  I would be upset to seeing it lying around, hell even at work with meaningless work tools I get annoyed enough when people throw them around, etc.

52 minutes ago, mowin said:

Those hooks are a fantastic look back at the lifestyle of your family.  Hand forged. A simple tool that had a important job.  

Absolutely priceless.  

You sum that up perfectly, thanks.

also, it never even crossed my mind that these were hand forged, just goes to show how the world has changed, and how my life’s objects have been mass produced.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1