How are the wood-burners doing?

philoshop

Parts of October were pretty decent, but I've been burning off and on since mid September. Earliest I've ever fired up the stove. I have plenty of wood for the stove this year, but I've never burned so much so early. It's depressing to watch the stacks go away before the real cold hits in January and February. I thought we were supposed to be warming.

I have burned a little more than normal.  Our house is small, so we only go through a couple cords.  I'm not sure I have burned a half cord yet.  Certainly has been colder than normal for November.  The wood stove sure feels nice.  If I run short I can grab some from the 4 or 5 cords that I have yet to sell.  

Sunday is the last day of deer hunting in Vermont, so I will be back to cutting trees.  I have some dead elm that need to be cleaned out of the hedgerow.  My brother and my best friend have only cut about 10% of the wood they need for the winter.  They both got caught by the 18-20" of snow that came down awhile back.  I'm sure I will be headed over that way with my saws as well.  It's a never-ending cycle.

9 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Our woodstove is in the basement and when its fired up the oil burner ( HW baseboard) never comes on ! Went through about one cord so far - 1200 sq ft house .

I have to assume you mean a face cord (I hope) rather than a full cord. A full cord would seem like a lot for a 1200 SF house this early in the season even if you have zero insulation and really crappy windows. Please tell me you're talking about a third of a cord (called a cord in some places) and not a full cord.

My brother has a pellet stove, as do many friends. They're great. But you're still buying fuel to heat your home, and if wood pellets suddenly cost $1000 per ton, then what? Same with coal. It's terrific until the market price of the fuel goes up.

I heat with wood because the only limiting factor to how much I can gather is the amount of gas in my truck. Well, there's a little bit of gas and oil in the saws as well, but it's not significant.

• Like 2

We burn about 8 face cords of wood a year. I am way behind on future years, but hopefully have enough for this year. Except for a few days, have had the stove lit since Halloween. Best room in the house to be in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1