How many is to many?

biggamefish

For an simple number say you own 100 acres. How many deer do you take off that piece of property. Let's say the deer population is on the medium low size. For instance you have a few bucks on camera and a handfull of does consistently. What would you limit the deer take to.

Surrounding propertys are cut up. Some decent chunks and some developments.

For an simple number say you own 100 acres. How many deer do you take off that piece of property. Let's say the deer population is on the medium low size. For instance you have a few bucks on camera and a handfull of does consistently. What would you limit the deer take to.

As many as I have tags for, from my hunting group we took 6 deer off of 25 acres. This is in a area where you get a doe tag every 3 years and they have ar’s it won’t hurt them one bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As many as I have tags for, from my hunting group we took 6 deer off of 25 acres. This is in a area where you get a doe tag every 3 years and they have ar’s it won’t hurt them one bit

Completely disagree, but don’t have the energy to get into it right now.

• Like 4

I don't have 100 acres, although I back up to 200 and someone I know and like very much lets me and my son hunt on his 100.  My son (14) and I have talked about this a good bit.  We've taken two this year - a doe during Youth Weekend, and a buck on opening day.  He shot both, and he's satisfied for the season.  We have quite a nice supply of venison from that.  I might take one more during muzzle.  I would probably target three a year, for my family and maybe some to give away.  No more.  Except for possibly holding a tag for an occasional big buck as a trophy (and meat), if I get that lucky.  

• Like 1

my group took 7 of 90acres  3 bucks a 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5yrold and 4 doe but none of the does were the older ones i think 2 6mo.old and 2 1.5yrolds. only one buck was a regular the other two were roaming ... let a number of spikes 4pts walk and older does with fawns. one of the doe fawns shot  had its mother hit by a car in august and do to it size i dont think it would have made it threw winter unless its very mild

The two properties that I hunt in the southern zone (on opposite corners of WMU 9F) add up to about 100 acres.  I am the only one who hunts them and have been averaging about (2) deer a year for quite a while.   Does are getting harder to get the last few years because the a few farmers, located in between, hammer them pretty hard with their nuisance  permits before October 1.  The buck hunting has been pretty good though.  I have seen them on almost every sit since tagging out on opening day of gun.  I am eagerly awaiting the opening of ML season, when I will have another buck tag.  It has been a while since I killed (3) bucks in a year.  That would be doable this year, including the bb that I used a DMP on during archery.   I certainly won't pass on a doe, if one gives me a chance, but I don't expect to get any more cracks at one of those this year.    

As far as your question goes, there really is no "too many" in zone 9F at this time.   The state has been struggling with overpopulation here for many years.   I have (3) more DMP's in addition to an antlerless and either/or ML/archery tag next week.  Even though I have enough venison for our immediate family (a buddy gave me a couple in addition to the two that I killed), I would not hesitate to fill more tags if I get the chances.  My brother-in-law makes awesome jerky from half venison, half beef (which he raises).  Making venison into jerky, for people to enjoy, beats the heck out of feeding coyotes with it.  That is what happens to most of them that fall to those nuisance permits.  It also beats having them get hit by cars.         

I try and take 10 doe a year off my place keeps herd in check. The number of bucks varies from.year to year but dont. Really matter in the scope of population imo. Now if my.neighbors started taking more then I would cut back. 

I had severe browse line and would find winter killed deer consistantly.. every property is different and pressure from surrounding owners must also be calculated in

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

Even high density there is a point where we say enough is enough.   In the scenario u mention, I would say 1-2 does.  If you are holding out for better bucks, shoot them when you can.   You never know when or if you will have a second encounter.  
This. Does are fawn factory's. Without doe, no herd. I used to think the whole buck to doe ratio was extremely important, but most of us don't have giant tracks where we may want a buck from a mile away to come visit our stand. We have 100 at the farm and the neighboring 90 acre hardwoods isn't hunted. Every other piece around us is hunted, and hunted hard. In my mind, if i let all the neighbor's kill their resident doe, I'll have a surplus on the farm so that the matures will stick around because of the surplus does. So, to answer the question, kill does for the meat you need for a year and kill every mature buck you can.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I try and take 10 doe a year off my place keeps herd in check. The number of bucks varies from.year to year but dont. Really matter in the scope of population imo. Now if my.neighbors started taking more then I would cut back. 

I had severe browse line and would find winter killed deer consistantly.. every property is different and pressure from surrounding owners must also be calculated in

Gman I suspect you would not characterize your population as low to medium. 

11 hours ago, biggamefish said:

If you are talking the area where you live, knowing what is around you, three or four deer a year wouldn't be an issue. There are some good properties surrounding you over there, on both sides of the road. and a pretty good sized chunk of acreage, behind you, that goes all the way to TL road. You will always have the transition factor of new bucks replacing the ones killed. Even though your one neighbors property gets hit hard.

• Like 1

I take one for the freezer off of my 38 acres which is about all we need for the year. Anything after that is gifted to relatives or donated to the venison coalition. I could probably take 20 a year and it wouldn't make a difference to the local population.

The two parcels to my west (excellent whitetail habitat) total 209+ acres and they don't allow any hunting. During the gun season most of "my" deer spend the daylight hours on those neighboring properties and cruise my property at night. So, it is hard to make the case that hunting is controlling the deer population in my area.

The first week of November I saw 8 different bucks visiting a scrape on my back lawn!

I do not doubt that there are bucks that die of old age on those neighboring properties.

• Like 1

We hunt 155 acres-80 owned and the neighboring 75 leased. The surrounding properties have either no or low hunting pressure. We shoot anything we want to (and of course have tags for). We usually average 3-4 bucks and 5-6 doe. Deer are always there except for the last 3 weeks of gun season-they seem to hole up on the other properties. Usually we will kill 1-2 on the last weekend of rifle and MZ  season .

If you're goal is to let em grow then you have to be willing to not take any. With that said if there are 2 hunters on the 100 acres 1 each every year not hurt a thing.  I have almost 100 acres and my son and I have taken 6 deer off the land in the 5 seasons, but all by choice. None this year but 2 bucks last year.  Our willingness to to let them grow is working. I had 6 different buck on camaera, all between 115 - 130, so we expect next year to start to see some NY trophies.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I hunt and try to fill my freezer/some seasons have been not so good and this season for our/my group has been good so far we still have tags to use.If we do not get another chance then we have had a great season My nephew took only Does this year I also got 1 so was the best season for us.Too most it's all about the head gear/antlers to my nephew and I its the time spent together 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grampy said:

If you are talking the area where you live, knowing what is around you, three or four deer a year wouldn't be an issue. There are some good properties surrounding you over there, on both sides of the road. and a pretty good sized chunk of acreage, behind you, that goes all the way to TL road. You will always have the transition factor of new bucks replacing the ones killed. Even though your one neighbors property gets hit hard.

Talking about our area and the capital district. We're we have a medium sized herd. I was talking to a buddy and he said you cam shoot as many as you are allowed and it would never change the structure of the herd. I disagreed with him. It's interesting to hear what different people say.

• Like 1

A whitetail buck in our area of the country has a home range of 300 to 600 acres, depending on food and cover.. Depending on the day you could have some, none or anything in between on that 100 acres... if you have food and cover on your 100 acres, you may hold them long on yours than another piece without those things but it is more human pressure that would lower the # of day time deer sightings than shooting to many deer. done properly you can fill tags and still see a lot of deer... 

• Like 1

Had lunch with another retired FF today, he hunts a 10 acre field in a west side suburb . One tree he can hang a stand in( along neighboring woods, this tree is out a bit onto his spot ), he has trail cam pics of up to 60 deer at once in that field ! No,food plots no crops but herds travel though .

I suspect he could fill every tag and then some and still be over run .

Deer do not just stay in one place so you could not harvest any on your property and like me my land borders state land plus my neighbors will take whatever they want. Between the 4 of us that hunt my property we did not take one deer off of my property. But one shot a doe on state land about 100 yards off of my property line. Take what is acceptable to your wants and needs. Personally I don’t see the deer population in my area of 9m very high. Therefore I haven’t shot a doe in 3 years. But to each is own.

Had lunch with another retired FF today, he hunts a 10 acre field in a west side suburb . One tree he can hang a stand in( along neighboring woods, this tree is out a bit onto his spot ), he has trail cam pics of up to 60 deer at once in that field ! No,food plots no crops but herds travel though .
I suspect he could fill every tag and then some and still be over run .

The key part of this is “the burbs”