How many is to many?

biggamefish

My home piece I hunt 40 acres that is backed by 700-800 acres owned by a bunch of owners in many pieces. The properties to my south and north did not get hunted so about a hundred acres. The prop west got hunted pretty hard I heard 6-8 different shots myself and sure there was more. They have 100 acres. You cross the road down from me and after a couple hundred acres is thousands of acres of 3 rivers state land. So I don’t think I could ever shoot myself out of deer. But we only shoot tops a couple does here a year and a couple bucks. Usually average 2-3 total. I never want to kill too many of my resident doe as they keep me in new stock but a couple is fine.
Another thing to consider is matriarch does. I shot a monster doe a few years after I moved here. She was the leader doe. After I shot her the way the does used the property changed completely after years of always being one way. I’ve heard the same from others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well i shot all three of my deer this year from the same stand on property i have permission to hunt for bow seasons and late season.  The family that owns it didnt get a deer so I think 3 is time to stop.  lol Although i saw a monster big buck there on Wed and would really like to hunt it again.  lol  and wind is right on sat .......no no dont do it Rob!  

On the lease we never take enough to worry about it, we have yet to take more than two in a season.  In 5 years i have taken 5 deer there (none so far this season) my buddy has taken 2 and i lost one to coyotes last season.   

I really think it depends on the location, population , land type etc.  For instance 7F where my lease is they cant give away enough doe permits but can tell you we have like 5 resident does on 120 acres and usually a couple of bucks and thats it. Once it gets close to rut a lot of bucks passing thru.  But  in other spots of the WMU they have a ton more deer and not that far away.  We dont have much for food but a lot of cover.  And once late season is here there is nothing for them to eat we hardly see a track. 

great time of yer to get the trail cameras running and see what made it through. DO it again in the spring and see what the population is. There is only one person on here that has the chance at the information you need to make the decision on the topic you are asking and that is you. 

You need to evaluate the heard numbers and make up

Look at the food sources and see how they are holding up to the population that you observe. Is there over browsing?

Hop on the QDMA website and look at their old articles. I believe this topic was covered and it was a pretty good write up