New bill proposed for ny gun owners 1,000,000 insurance

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s2857/amendment/a?fbclid=IwAR2DbqxJKn-KNONFKWzzvG629OW1gWOoJQ52rEbsUUlS0A8n6wk962Xs­BjY 

Thought maybe the guys that think that just because they only own hunting firearms that they are not going to be effected,  might want to see this. Granted it’s only a bill but if I was a betting man. 

Edited by rob-c

§ 2353. FIREARM OWNERS INSURANCE POLICIES. 1. ANY PERSON IN THIS STATE WHO SHALL OWN A FIREARM SHALL, PRIOR TO SUCH OWNERSHIP, OBTAIN AND CONTINUOUSLY MAINTAIN A POLICY OF LIABILITY INSURANCE IN AN AMOUNT NOT LESS THAN ONE MILLION DOLLARS SPECIFICALLY COVERING ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY NEGLIGENT OR WILLFUL ACTS INVOLVING THE USE OF SUCH FIREARM WHILE IT IS OWNED BY SUCH PERSON. FAILURE TO MAINTAIN SUCH INSURANCE  SHALL RESULT IN THE IMMEDIATE REVOCATION OF SUCH OWNER’S REGISTRATION, LICENSE AND ANY OTHER PRIVILEGE TO OWN SUCH FIREARM.

its getting to the point I’d consider selling all my guns they can trace and just stocking up from other sources .

• Like 2

Also if I have heard correctly NYS has made it so insurance companies can not even sell this type of insurance to NYS residents. I know someone that had this type of insurance already (I dont know why just that he said he did) and just a couple of months ago his policy was canceled and the letter stated the Insurance company can no longer provide that type coverage in NYS due to changes in the law.  

• Like 2

When the goal is to "create criminals", this becomes clear. That's exactly what this is about. "Criminals" are easily controlled. Free citizens, not so much. Whether its owning a gun, buying an extra-large soda, using a plastic straw, or selling single cigarettes  the intent is control. Freedom vs serfdom.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Also if I have heard correctly NYS has made it so insurance companies can not even sell this type of insurance to NYS residents. I know someone that had this type of insurance already (I dont know why just that he said he did) and just a couple of months ago his policy was canceled and the letter stated the Insurance company can no longer provide that type coverage in NYS due to changes in the law.  

Two different polices ,what I suspect your friend had was one covering his defense if charged in what turns out to be a legal use .

It was through a policy through the  NRA, that covered your defense in the lawful use of your gun in self defense. If you were charged ,You paid upfront if you were found not guilty they reimbursed you . Cuomo put an end to that through the courts .

This insurance pays anyone injured by you ....... 

Its all about barriers  to gun ownership , that’s all .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Two different polices ,what I suspect your friend had was one covering his defense if charged in what turns out to be a legal use .

It was through a policy through the  NRA, that covered your defense in the lawful use of your gun in self defense. If you were charged ,You paid upfront if you were found not guilty they reimbursed you . Cuomo put an end to that through the courts .

This insurance pays anyone injured by you ....... 

Its all about barriers  to gun ownership , that’s all .

No, the CarryGuard protection you are referring to is no longer allowed in NY state, but the other policies offered by the NRA that pay for the theft of your firearms, or for an accident with your firearms, are also no longer legal in NY state, but only if they are NRA products.  Other firms can still offer these things, but they are usually not as competitively priced.  Cuomo's is attacking the NRA directly with this executive order and that is what makes it illegal.

My policy covering theft of my firearms will be cancelled in a month according to a letter I got yesterday.  It was offered by the NRA but is carried by a private insurance company.  Apparently, Cuomo has made threats against the insurance companies working with NRA members and they stand to lose big time if they do any type of business with the NRA for it's members benefit.

I'm not sure of the status of the free coverage for theft or injury that comes with NRA membership.  That may be void in NY state also at this time.

There is a lawsuit currently against Cuomo for this regulatory overreach, which amounts to extortion, and is way out of the scope of his elected authority.  I'm sure he will lose the case and NY taxpayers will be on the hook for millions in court costs.  Cuomo couldn't care less about wasting tax dollars to push his leftist dreams of utopia.

• Like 2

According to the department, the program “unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for acts of intentional wrongdoing."

(This is not true and should be reason enough for Cuomo to be sued.)

“As the primary regulator of insurance companies and state-chartered banks doing business in New York, it is incumbent upon the Department of Financial Services to supervise and guide regulated entities to mitigate the risks to their safety and soundness that may derive from a variety of sources, including reputational risk. It is equally as important that DFS enforce New York law and take appropriate enforcement action when necessary to protect consumers and ensure the integrity of our financial markets. As part of the Department’s ongoing investigation, DFS’s consent orders with both Lockton and Chubb addressed the unlicensed and unlawful activity connected with the NRA’s “Carry Guard” program, which unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for acts of intentional wrongdoing. The Department will not stand down from its mandate to enforce New York law."

Carry Guard never offered coverage for "intentional wrongdoing".

Edited by Rattler

20 hours ago, Rattler said:

According to the department, the program “unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for acts of intentional wrongdoing."

(This is not true and should be reason enough for Cuomo to be sued.)

“As the primary regulator of insurance companies and state-chartered banks doing business in New York, it is incumbent upon the Department of Financial Services to supervise and guide regulated entities to mitigate the risks to their safety and soundness that may derive from a variety of sources, including reputational risk. It is equally as important that DFS enforce New York law and take appropriate enforcement action when necessary to protect consumers and ensure the integrity of our financial markets. As part of the Department’s ongoing investigation, DFS’s consent orders with both Lockton and Chubb addressed the unlicensed and unlawful activity connected with the NRA’s “Carry Guard” program, which unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for acts of intentional wrongdoing. The Department will not stand down from its mandate to enforce New York law."

Carry Guard never offered coverage for "intentional wrongdoing".

So then what type of insurance do they want gun owners to have the object of insurance is to protect the person who gets the policy.

And who is going to sell such a crazy insurance policy?

"unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for acts of intentional wrongdoing."

so who decides what is a intentional act of wrongdoing ?

you mean like if someone breaks  in your house and you shoot them ? Because your scared for you life ?

Edited by Storm914

Apparently in NY just owning a firearm for self defense in your home is considered "intentional wrongdoing".

I just found out from the NRA, even the basic firearms theft insurance you get free for being an NRA member is not valid in NY state.  It is in other states, but not NY.  They also offered accident liability coverage of $1,000,000 (I think) with membership and I forgot to ask if that is void now too.

It's possible Cuomo's actions have nullified all of the NRA member benefits NY residents used to be entitled to.