What's your ML load?

mowin

Some ML, like center-fire rifles, like certain loads.  My CVA loves 100g (2 pellets) and powerbelt bullets. 2" groups at 100yrd.  Same bullet and 3 pellets, and I'm lucky to hit anything.

I'm sighting in a TC pro Hunter barrel I got used from another member tomorrow.

He used 2 pellets and Hornady SST bullets. Claimed 1” groups at 100yrs.  

I've got powerbelt, and TC sabots. I'm going to see what combo works best with this barrel.  

Soooo, what's your ML like to eat... Besides venison.  Lol

Edited by mowin

Not a fan. Of pellets especially when sighting in a new gun.. I have guns that shoot , 72 grains and 90,110,100,95, 130, 50 ,32 and 120. Each shoots it's own bullet and weight of bullet as well. 

Rule of thumb is 50 cal start with 50grains and sight in left to right. Then add 5 grains and your elevation should raise about an inch for every 5 or 10 grains.. you want a sharp crack.. not much smoke. If you have a friend and he sees flame coming out barrel your burning to much powder..its simply blowing out the barrel the sharp crack you hear is usually the perfect load for the barrel length as all powder is burned  and energy transferred to bullet. After that is accomplished bullet weight, type can be changed to give you better accuracy and increase distance if you opt for light bullet , ballistic tip ect.

• Like 2

Not a fan. Of pellets especially when sighting in a new gun.. I have guns that shoot , 72 grains and 90,110,100,95, 130, 50 ,32 and 120. Each shoots it's own bullet and weight of bullet as well. 
Rule of thumb is 50 cal start with 50grains and sight in left to right. Then add 5 grains and your elevation should raise about an inch for every 5 or 10 grains.. you want a sharp crack.. not much smoke. If you have a friend and he sees flame coming out barrel your burning to much powder..its simply blowing out the barrel the sharp crack you hear is usually the perfect load for the barrel length as all powder is burned  and energy transferred to bullet. After that is accomplished bullet weight, type can be changed to give you better accuracy and increase distance if you opt for light bullet , ballistic tip ect.
Between putting up and taking down all your stands on a yearly basis.....how do you find time to work these loads on 9 different muzzleloaders...let alone sleep or eat?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chromeslayer said:

Custom smokeless build... savage action, Brux 28in barrel, Nightforce NXS 5-22 scope.. 78g IMR 4198 will push a 275g Pittman Accumax bullet at 3050fps.. farthest kill this season 380yds.. this gun is built to send it!

20181130_145118.jpg

Curious....with the shooting bag, do you lay prone or was this just a photo op?  I was thinking of maybe trying the prone technique for coyotes.  Awesome looking build BTW.

15 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Between putting up and taking down all your stands on a yearly basis.....how do you find time to work these loads on 9 different muzzleloaders...let alone sleep or eat?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have 13 muzzleloader including pistols, it doesn't take long I have a 100 yard range 20 ft outside my door.i have a log book and keep a taped note inside my muzzleloader box with load and bullet for each gun.. 30 years of accumulated knowledge I need notes cant remember it all

• Like 4

Still getting the job done with my original ML.  A T/C Hawken cap lock built from a kit in .45 caliber.  Iron sights.  Loading a T/C Maxi-Hunter bullet over a measured 90 grain by volume Pyrodex charge.  The set trigger puts them into a 2" group at 100 yards and has been doing so for decades.  It's the bottom one.  The others are never hunted.

MySmokepoles.png

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

T/C Omega and Triumph.  Both used (3) 50gr Trip7 pellets with a 250 gr shockwave. Both guns shot 3" groups at 225yrds

This year i switched powder and am Using BH 209. hope to shoot it today. Probably 100gr 

i run barnes 245 grain spitfire mz with 83 grains of blackhorn in my triumph . deadly accurate out to 200 yards.

• Like 1

Like Rattler, I am still using my original TC Hawken ( .50 cal) vintage appx. 1974 with a TC aftermarket tang peep sight.

I'm currently shooting a .490 patched round ball ahead of 80 grains ( volume)  of 3F 777..  I converted the nipple to 209 primers a couple of years ago...

I have never tried a shot over 75 yards with the rifle...When I hunted with Moog this year, the deer came out appx 100 yards  away, and my bead at that distance looked about the same size as the whole deer...Hehehe..I was more than happy to use Moog's   BEAUTIFUL scope sighted Encore...<<grin>>….

However my old Hawken has served me well over the years..It has accounted for lots of critters, including my best scoring whitetail buck and my one and only bull elk ( 6x6)….

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Like Rattler, I am still using my original TC Hawken ( .50 cal) vintage appx. 1974 with a TC aftermarket tang peep sight.

I'm currently shooting a .490 patched round ball ahead of 80 grains ( volume)  of 3F 777..  I converted the nipple to 209 primers a couple of years ago...

I have never tried a shot over 75 yards with the rifle...When I hunted with Moog this year, the deer came out appx 100 yards  away, and my bead at that distance looked about the same size as the whole deer...Hehehe..I was more than happy to use Moog's   BEAUTIFUL scope sighted Encore...<<grin>>….

However my old Hawken has served me well over the years..It has accounted for lots of critters, including my best scoring whitetail buck and my one and only bull elk ( 6x6)….

Ive got a CVA Hawken and just looked into the 209 conversion, Im ordering today! Thanks for that tid-bit

• Like 1

110 grains T7 with a T/C 250 grain bonded Shockwave through a .50cal. Encore. I am about through with a pound of T7 I bought 10-12 years ago, thinking about trying Blackhorn 209-heard good things about it. I'll probably pick up a can and play around with it in the winter when there is nothing else to do.

Will

Just a friendly reminder to not shoot smokeless powder out of a production muzzloader. Customs builds  are a different breed.

I like T7 from 70-100 grains on most of my smokers. My white muzzloaders sure like Swiss but that's getting hard to find.

It's expensive but BH209 shoots great to in that 70-100 grain amount. For the guys shooting three pellets, I highly recommend trying loose to see if you can find the sweet spot with less of a charge.

For the guys shooting power belts, I wish you the best, it's a very poorly constructed bullet when pushed fast.

For conicals I like 460grain no excuses and 350grain FPB and if using sabots Speer 300 grain deep curl and 300grain non Mag xtp in a crush rib sabot

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

Put me in the old sidelock camp, shoot 45 cal lead TC maxi balls over 75 gr of pyrodex in both the Cherokee "middle"and the TC Hawken top with stainless green mountain barrel.

Bottom gun is a 50 cal CVA Hawken kit gun my boys got me and I put together, it is a wall hanger.

Al

2018-12-10_111228.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, airedale said:

Put me in the old sidelock camp, shoot 45 cal lead TC maxi balls over 75 gr of pyrodex in both the Cherokee "middle"and the TC Hawken top with stainless green mountain barrel.

Bottom gun is a 50 cal CVA Hawken kit gun my boys got me, a wall hanger.

Al

2018-12-10_111228.png

That bottom one is what I have, my father bought it for me. If you look at last years Live thread youll see that I really wanted to kill a deer with it, and missed twice lol

• Like 1

TC Triumph loaded with 3 pellets of 777 and a 250 gr Shockwave. Gun loves this load. Have killed deer from 24 yards to 170 yards with it. One of the best shooting guns I have had.

I've got a new Accura PR I'm still testing out but it likes three 777 pellets and the Powerbelt best so far. Doesn't shoot near as good as my Triumph so still looking for the perfect load for this.

• Like 1