Where do you order your trees and how much are u getting

Zag

Now that the seasons basically over were all shifting to habitat work I'm wondering who you order your trees from and how many u getting? I'm specifically looking for Apple, Chestnut and persimmon trees this yr with a 4-6ft height. I haven't decided how many yet.

The county and state has a very good selection but not at those heights. Transplanting trees that big require you to water and more maintenance than seedlings.. I plant lot of trees every year 500 or more no way I could water that many. The apples from the state are whips and 3 ft to 4 ft  or so tall they do grow fast and are easier to establish than larger trees in my experiance I guess it comes down to where and how accessible to you they are to water, stake  fence, spray they are.  The chestnut I've planted have been 3 gallon container trees from native nursery they sell out fast, again a lot more prep and work including fencing required.. 

I try to pick them up at Tractor Supply when they have them. I bought some apple trees late summer and left them potted. They are dormant now, so as soon as the ground is frozen and I can get the tractor/post hole digger back there, Ill get them in the ground. They are 6ft tall. I havent had alot of luck with seedlings at this point. This year will be apple trees on the edges of my plots, and lots of hinge cutting. Im also looking into having the property logged. After logging and hinge cutting is done, Ill be planting a bunch of chestnut trees. Most of the land around me is full of oaks and beech, so I want to do a few things to differentiate a bit and try to add attraction to my little chunk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

The county and state has a very good selection but not at those heights. Transplanting trees that big require you to water and more maintenance than seedlings.. I plant lot of trees every year 500 or more no way I could water that many. The apples from the state are whips and 3 ft to 4 ft  or so tall they do grow fast and are easier to establish than larger trees in my experiance I guess it comes down to where and how accessible to you they are to water, stake  fence, spray they are.  The chestnut I've planted have been 3 gallon container trees from native nursery they sell out fast, again a lot more prep and work including fencing required.. 

Maybe I was lucky the last time but I planted a dozen apple trees a few yrs back (4-5ft range) added the slow release fertilizer and they never missed a beat. Yes it was a crap ton of work as each hole dug was like 4ft in diameter but if it gets me to bearing fruit faster I'm in. For the Chestnuts do u go with Dunstan or Chinese? 

7 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I try to pick them up at Tractor Supply when they have them. I bought some apple trees late summer and left them potted. They are dormant now, so as soon as the ground is frozen and I can get the tractor/post hole digger back there, Ill get them in the ground. They are 6ft tall. I havent had alot of luck with seedlings at this point. This year will be apple trees on the edges of my plots, and lots of hinge cutting. Im also looking into having the property logged. After logging and hinge cutting is done, Ill be planting a bunch of chestnut trees. Most of the land around me is full of oaks and beech, so I want to do a few things to differentiate a bit and try to add attraction to my little chunk.

Same here, I was going to add apple trees to the edge of our plot that should be completed by spring. Miller's in canandaigua had great apple trees for a fair price it's to bad they sold out. As far as seedlings it was always 50/50 in my experiences. Pine trees or dogwood ok but bearing trees I want more of a sure thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zag said:

Maybe I was lucky the last time but I planted a dozen apple trees a few yrs back (4-5ft range) added the slow release fertilizer and they never missed a beat. Yes it was a crap ton of work as each hole dug was like 4ft in diameter but if it gets me to bearing fruit faster I'm in. For the Chestnuts do u go with Dunstan or Chinese? 

Dunstan, Chinese are short broad spreading orchard tree. I have several dozen pure american and I hope that crossing with dunstan will make a blight resistant forest tree.. I get production from whips in 4 or 5 years.. trees are a long term deal.. not looking for super quick if you need fast chestnuts and hazelnuts also known as filberts would be better. 

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Dunstan, Chinese are short broad spreading orchard tree. I have several dozen pure american and I hope that crossing with dunstan will make a blight resistant forest tree.. I get production from whips in 4 or 5 years.. trees are a long term deal.. not looking for super quick if you need fast chestnuts and hazelnuts also known as filberts would be better. 

Ok thanks for the info.

We had some American Chestnuts but I believe they have all died. I remember early in my hunting days I remember found one. At the time I had no idea what they were.