Visited again by DEC

Al Bundy

Just when you think its safe to actually hunt legally on your property....  Quite a few shots this weekend. I didn't happen to be a lucky one and did not fire a shot.  I did wonder where the close shots were coming from so walked to the edge of my property.  My wonderful asshole neighbor called DEC again, likely because he saw me out in orange. I think this makes something like 9th time in about 7 years. No I am not baiting, no I am not shooting before hours or after for that matter.   My neighbor simply does not want me legally hunting as he can see me and thinks its to close. Well its not as DEC usually comes and looks where someone was on stand and boot prints in the snow. They never even measure as its so ridiculous.  Never been ticketed, never even had to try and talk a way out of ticket.  Nothing even hinted to anything illegal. I know lots of you guys are of the mindset just cooperate and let DEC trounce around etc.  I usually do but honestly how many times do they need to come and do this. After a while enough is enough.

The guy who showed up this weekend was actually a pleasant sort, much different than most of the others. He didn't try and pressure my other neighbor to revoke hunting permission within 500ft of his house.  Yayyyy!!!  He came, said he was called "because someone reported hearing a shot".  He saw a buck hanging when he pulled in the driveway,  taken miles away, and asked if anyone got anything. Obviously we did and he was doing his job to see if there was anything to hide.  He looked at the legally, properly tagged deer and said thanks and left. This guy was our friend as Grampy pointed out in another thread.  He seemed almost apologetic. I guess finally they realize this neighbor has nothing better to do but look out his window and call if he sees orange.

Good news is my buddy shot a really really nice solid 6pt. The rack on that thing was so thick. We guessed an older deer that was going downhill. 

• Like 1

good thing DEC ECOs are now of the opinion he's a whistle blower without a cause. too bad you have to deal with that. another thing, we've gotten mature bucks that just didn't have a big rack, despite having lots of mass. last one i recall was a 6 pointer that we sent the incisors to a lab that came back at 5.5 yrs old.

I wonder if DEC keeps track of who calls. I imagine there are several people that have to deal with this sort of thing.  At some point I would think they would have to tell them to stop crying wolf and you are not doing anything wrong. 

We placed a new bow stand this year. There are house's right behind it. I can see them plain as day from the stand. There is a dead end road that comes down between two agricultural properties, like someone sold a field to a developer. Maybe 20 houses. I sat the stand pretty often during bow. It was on the edge of bedding and a corn field that was planted for the first time this year. I knew I had plenty of setback for bow but ranged wondering if it was a legal stand for rifle. The house is 178 yds from the stand or 534 feet. I was wondering if I would get called on sitting there but never did. Maybe nobody ever saw, I was always in Camo during bow season. Nobody sat there during Rifle with blaze orange on. More so to just keep the peace and not have any issues like you are dealing with because that stand would have been perfectly legal. 

Jealous or irate neighbors are the worse it's good when you build up a relationship with the dec when they keep showing up due to neighbors calling.. it's better when they tell you what the neighbors reaction is when they tell them they are barking up wrong tree and if they keep it up. They will be getting a ticket for hunter harassment! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

assuming your neighbors and your property is pretty safe and large I'd just stop wearing orange or at least limit it to a hat, that's all I wear unless I'm tracking, then I add the vest. I know this doesn't answer your frustration, but a thought. 

I would continue wearing a Blaze orange vest or jacket . I wouldn't give in to the idiot neighbor . Let him keep calling . He might end up getting a warning from the DEC about false reporting and being a nuisance .

• Like 1

“ I wonder if DEC keeps track of who calls. I imagine there are several people that have to deal with this sort of thing.  At some point I would think they would have to tell them to stop crying wolf and you are not doing anything wrong.”

Little chance of that. Good friends of ours lived nextdoor to a wacko , he called the Sheriffs on them dozens of times. Like if when they cut their lawn any clippings ended up,on his lawn . The Deputy would apologize to,them but said they had to respond to complaints .

When I worked for the FD I testified before the Grand Jury twice against guys falsely reporting an incident ( felony ) , but they were reporting building fires when there  was none. It took them reporting multiple times, to even start an investigation. 

I would think this guy calling about once  a year, all they may do is talk to him explain the hunter over 500 feet or whatever .

6 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

“ I wonder if DEC keeps track of who calls. I imagine there are several people that have to deal with this sort of thing.  At some point I would think they would have to tell them to stop crying wolf and you are not doing anything wrong.”

Little chance of that. Good friends of ours lived nextdoor to a wacko , he called the Sheriffs on them dozens of times. Like if when they cut their lawn any clippings ended up,on his lawn . The Deputy would apologize to,them but said they had to respond to complaints .

When I worked for the FD I testified before the Grand Jury twice against guys falsely reporting an incident ( felony ) , but they were reporting building fires when there  was none. It took them reporting multiple times, to even start an investigation. 

I would think this guy calling about once  a year, all they may do is talk to him explain the hunter over 500 feet or whatever .

But the DEC can issue a ticket to the neighbor for hunter harrassment,  bet he  gets a couple of those and his calls will drop off forever. People have an amzing way to act differently when it hurts their wallet

• Like 1

Ya but he’s called perhaps 9 times in 7 years , so about once a year  . If he says he heard an early shot or thought he was baiting or whatever , it seems to,me that would be some stretch to rule that hunter harassment in court .

Its my belief that it would take either direct interruption of his hunt by the  caller  , or multiple  calls in a short period of time that could be proved unwarranted , and solely to disrupt the hunt .

Hey I’ve been wrong before ,but about one call a year, and no,personal contact between hunter and caller ,I think it seems unlikely , no,matter how I may feel personally about it .

17 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I would go out the night before and hang some orange clothes up ..

I did this on a blow up doll year's ago to try to fake out a guy that always hunted right on my line. I don't know if it worked or not but I felt better about it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did this on a blow up doll year's ago to try to fake out a guy that always hunted right on my line. I don't know if it worked or not but I felt better about it!

The real question is why do you have a blow up doll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I initially got it to mess with an old guy I used to hunt with back when I first started hunting. I snuck it into his bunk to see what sort of reaction I would get. That one didn't work so good because he was so tired he didn't even notice. The next use was to put it up in a field at night where the illegal spot lighting was going on all the time. That use worked really well. We had a ball watching the lights come on then go off super quick once they saw "Lucy"

2 minutes ago, E J said:

I initially got it to mess with an old guy I used to hunt with back when I first started hunting. I snuck it into his bunk to see what sort of reaction I would get. That one didn't work so good because he was so tired he didn't even notice. The next use was to put it up in a field at night where the illegal spot lighting was going on all the time. That use worked really well. We had a ball watching the lights come on then go off super quick once they saw "Lucy"

This post is useless without pics.