Be careful out there

nodeerhere

So I went out for an evening hunt yesterday. To this woods that was logged a few years back. There are some really nice log piles to climb on. So I climb up on one. I was sitting on this one log I've sat on a 100 times. Something broke and sent the top log Rolling down towards me. It was easily a 1000 pound log. I couldn't get out of the way. I really thought it was over. There was this branch about 5" round. It stopped the log just before it crushed me. I climbed up to the top of that pile so fast! My heart was pounding and I was sick to my stomach. Shaking like a leaf! Just please be careful guys and gals. It happens quick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

There was just a hunter in wny who went out and apparently tried to jump a creek slipped hit his head and drowned

. He was reported missing by his family nearly a month ago.. the found him in 30 min search at his camp almost a month later.. let someone know where your going at the least!!

whew!  yeah that would leave ya shaking a bit.  Glad all was ok

two years ago out turkey hunting a monster tree went down about 80 yards from me.  Could feel the ground shake it was huge scared the crap outa me and i wasnt that close.  But thought what if i was sitting over there......

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I went in to a new spot one time and sat along a rock wall . Never looked up . My brother in law came over and said are you looking for a death wish . I was like what and he said look up . When I looked up I was so scared . There was a broken tree dangling in the trees above me .it was just dangling if it was windy that day I can't even imagine 

Thanks everyone. It was an eye opener. I just wanted to pass it along so everybody pays just a little more attention and we all make it back home to of family and friends after spending a day in the field. I love the woods and the streams and watching the sun come up and the animals waking up. But just a little reminder of how dangerous it can be! Be safe out there! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

So I went out for an evening hunt yesterday. To this woods that was logged a few years back. There are some really nice log piles to climb on. So I climb up on one. I was sitting on this one log I've sat on a 100 times. Something broke and sent the top log Rolling down towards me. It was easily a 1000 pound log. I couldn't get out of the way. I really thought it was over. There was this branch about 5" round. It stopped the log just before it crushed me. I climbed up to the top of that pile so fast! My heart was pounding and I was sick to my stomach. Shaking like a leaf! Just please be careful guys and gals. It happens quick

Dear Lord I would have had to change my pants!

Some big ol' 1000lb  log ever tried that crap with me I'd carve it into a walrus,lol

Cool story, and I think you've got Pygmy beat with this one!

I always enjoy the stories about near death experience afield for some twisted reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ya, that would rattle anyone. 

Glad you're ok.  

I've had large limb fall within a few feet of where I was sitting one time. Scared the crap outta me.  

Many yrs back I was heading to my go to ladder stand that I hunted a few days before.  Couldn't believe my eyes when the tree was snapped in half because a larger tree had fallen on it. Stand was a twisted mess. 

15 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

Having cut firewood since age 12 or so, I remember my dad screaming at me when he saw me climb a log pile.  Fraked me out.  Then he told me the story of why my grandfather wore an ankle brace for most of his adult life.  Little log + hill, snappity crackity.  Tree cutting is goddamned dangerous, log piles especially so.

I think of something like this when I see the 20 foot tall stacks of pine logs they left behind on the state land in Renslearville state forest.

when I was a kid,  and just beginning my hunting career, one of the things my dad told/taught me was to always look up when you sit on the ground/ ground blind. Even a "smaller" branch can do damage if it falls on you. Great to hear that this was a story with a happy ending, and a lesson for all of us who go out - be aware of our surroundings and careful where we walk or sit

On 12/11/2018 at 12:34 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

I would have gotten right off the pile, not climbed further up it lol. Glad youre here to tell the tale.

That,and what are you doing on the pile in the first place? There has to be a better spot to sit. I buy logs for my firewood and have to roll them of the pile to cut them up,and the power of a rolling log is scary. I always stand of the end of the pile,but man it is scary when one takes off.

• Like 1