Cuomo cancelled my insurance for gun theft

Rattler

Today's mail brought a letter from my gun insurance company telling me my policy would be cancelled and not renewed when it ends in a month.  It only covers theft of my guns.  It was a policy offered through the NRA, but is carried by a private company called Lockton Affinity.  The letter stated the coverage can no longer be offered in NY state.  In reality, the coverage can be bought in NY state as long as it has nothing to do with the NRA.  Any other carrier of firearms theft insurance also seems to be more expensive.

Cuomo attacked the NRA for offering it's Carry Guard insurance, which protects concealed carriers involved in lawful self defense shooting cases.  He outlawed that coverage calling it "murder insurance".  But it is obvious from the above that he is really singling out the NRA in his attempt to financially cripple them in NY. 

According to the NY Dept of Financial Services, the program “unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for acts of intentional wrongdoing."    This is blatantly false, as it never offered coverage for anything except legal fees when you are prosecuted for using a firearm in a justified legal shooting.  It covered nothing if the shooting was illegal.

How can it be legal to ban firearms theft insurance from any one provider, while still allowing it from others the Governor endorses?  That seems to be something that would be completely outside the scope of his executive authority, as well as unconstitutional.  This is why he's being sued.  I'm sure he will lose too, and NY taxpayers will be left with the bill for millions in legal fees. 

Cuomo obviously has no quarrel with spending taxpayer funds to pursue his leftist utopian dream.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

Our club was insured by Lockton for years. We got a letter from Lockton, they were leaving the state and no longer offered liability insurance. We were fortunate to find another insurance company. This state is heading straight down the crapper. This Ahole has waged a war against good tax paying citizens, and they are leaving in droves. This moron says they're leaving because the weather. What an effin idiot. I've got 4 1/2 years to go and I'm out of here. Can't wait. 

• Like 2

The CEO of Lockton told the NRA they could no longer be involved with any NRA sponsored programs because that would put their NY State insurance license in jeopardy.  They had to settle for a 7 million dollar fine to get NY to leave them alone and flee the state without retaliation by Cuomo.  Threatening the use of political regulatory power to coerce compliance with the Governor's agenda is totally illegal.

When this type of thing goes unpunished, you know we are no longer living in a free society.

Edited by Rattler

39 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

Your homeowners will cover gun theft. The NRA was just ripping you off.

NOT entirely true. My home owners had a $1,000 cap on that. I had to purchase a separate rider to cover a portion of what I have. Basically I had to provide pictures, serial numbers, value and a description of any firearm I wanted covered. Then they priced the rider. I had to do the same for my tools since it was over the normal coverage as well.  Buddy had Nationwide for about 25 years. He had a break in and they stole about $18,000 in tools.  Covered less than $5,000

Edit: my point is don't take for granted that "my home owners covers it"

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

NOT entirely true. My home owners had a $1,000 cap on that. I had to purchase a separate rider to cover a portion of what I have. Basically I had to provide pictures, serial numbers, value and a description of any firearm I wanted covered. Then they priced the rider. I had to do the same for my tools since it was over the normal coverage as well.  Buddy had Nationwide for about 25 years. He had a break in and they stole about $18,000 in tools.  Covered less than $5,000

I also have a separate rider for my guns. Well, the ones that I still have after that tragic canoe accident years ago...

Seriously though, your homeowners insurance wouldnt cover your legal fees like the NRA insurance did, so no, it wasnt a ripoff. Sits is incorrect.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

Every major carrier has a cap on value; even if your agent doesn't know, its in the small print. Also note some will not cover "accessories" like the mounted scope and rings.

It may work for those having a limited value collection.

I use a separate policy that covers everything, I supply serial numbers and it will cover firearms, optics(including scopes, binos,range finder, etc) and the mounts, slings, cases, etc ; full replacement value. It also covers anywhere including vehicles, and travel both domestic and foreign, airlines, etc.

Look to see what and where if buying insurance and buy according to your needs; one size does not fit all.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Yes I had to do the same with my HO Ins. Well worth it, doesn't cost much and I know I'll be paid if someone ever gets passed my security system and dogs and manages to open my 800 lb gun safe. Anything you get from the NRA is just Shyster insurance. All sounds good till you call em and tell them you wanna be covered for the 60k in guns you just lost

30 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

BTW, you guys are aware of the bill i the NY senate that is going to require all gun owners carry separate insurance for their guns in this shithole state, right?

Blatantly unconstitutional and even the libtards know it.  The irony with Princess running the NRA insurance out of the state while attempting to price citizens out of exercising their constitutional right by buying liability insurance is as thick as can be.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

Yes I had to do the same with my HO Ins. Well worth it, doesn't cost much and I know I'll be paid if someone ever gets passed my security system and dogs and manages to open my 800 lb gun safe. Anything you get from the NRA is just Shyster insurance. All sounds good till you call em and tell them you wanna be covered for the 60k in guns you just lost

Does HO insurance cover your legal fees if you have to shoot someone in self defense? The NRA insurance does. Sorry man, you dont know what youre talking about in this case.

• Like 2

Just now, Jdubs said:

Blatantly unconstitutional and even the libtards know it.  The irony with Princess running the NRA insurance out of the state while attempting to price citizens out of exercising their constitutional right by buying liability insurance is as thick as can be.

Well, the SAFE act is pretty unconstitutional, but we've been living under that crap for how long now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I do believe that is a way to try and get around the 2ed A and will be fought in the courts 

Sure, but when?  Tom King just posted today that they appear to be waiting on a third SCOTUS nominee from Trump before bringing any major 2A cases to SCOTUS.

9 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Well, the SAFE act is pretty unconstitutional, but we've been living under that crap for how long now?

If Scalia hadn't suddenly died, then that case would have moved forward.  As it is, the number of people who actually registered their so-called "assault weapons" was pitifully low.  Take out the LEO's who had to do it and hardly anyone registered.  

• Like 1

I hate to pee on anyone's cheerios here but the U.S. Constitution says that the States can make gun laws as they see fit, including things like the SAFE Act. On the flip side, we as individuals are all still at liberty to leave this state to find a less oppressive regime.

There are two options: Leave NYS; or vote out the people who are making NYS intolerable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I hate to pee on anyone's cheerios here but the U.S. Constitution says that the States can make gun laws as they see fit, including things like the SAFE Act. On the flip side, we as individuals are all still at liberty to leave this state to find a less oppressive regime.

There are two options: Leave NYS; or vote out the people who are making NYS intolerable.

Very true on the second part of your post, but where in the constitution does it say that states are free to interpret the constitution as they see fit? Also, where in the constitution does it say that if a state doesnt agree with an amendment in the bill of rights, that they are free to infringe upon it? I am sorry but i must have missed that part.

Edited by CapDistPatriot
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Well, the SCOTUS can strike the laws down, it just takes forever for it to happen in most cases.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sits in trees said:

Most homeowners cover up,to $1,000 to $2,500  in Guns and related equipment  , after that you need a rider and an appraisal for each gun, same for art or jewelry.  It also doesn’t cover all perils , drop your duck gun in the lake you’re sol , mysterious disappearance your sol .

homeowners are very restrictive.

I went with a company specializing in jewelry as it was cheaper then a rider and no appraisal.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Most homeowners cover up,to one thousand dollars  , after that you need a rider and an appraisal for each gun, same for art or jewelry. 

I went with a company specializing in jewelry as it was cheaper then a rider and no appraisal.

Good idea, i need to look into it. Can you please PM me the name of the broker/company you went with?