no commitment

Did 1 set last night with the new caller (Lucky Duck Revolt). Used a serenade call and had an immediate response. The coyote came from a distance to right across the road from where I was calling. Howling and barking but he wouldn't cross. tried a couple of other calls to get him to cross but he wasn't having any of it. Oh well - win some-lose some. Happy with the caller for a first run.

Forgot to mention, picked him up with my thermal monocular

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

Good luck.  I'm hoping to get on some Coyotes right after Xmas.

thanks-same to you! yeah, I still have my MZ tags but had the itch to try out the new caller last night then once deer season is over I start my yote hunting

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

Best of luck to you!

thanks - same to you!

• Like 1

I have a foxpro electronic caller (with the little remote that has like 12 different calls on it) that I wanted to try out this year on some yotes. I also have a couple nice red foxes on the cameras that I thought would be cool to have the hide tanned. I have a Savage A17 that I was going to try to use, along with a red led spot/flashlight (shines out to 200yds with 150 being the max for what you can identify an animal at).
I've never done the predator calling/night hunting thing but I definitely want to give it a try.

49 minutes ago, dan46n2 said:

I have a foxpro electronic caller (with the little remote that has like 12 different calls on it) that I wanted to try out this year on some yotes. I also have a couple nice red foxes on the cameras that I thought would be cool to have the hide tanned. I have a Savage A17 that I was going to try to use, along with a red led spot/flashlight (shines out to 200yds with 150 being the max for what you can identify an animal at).
I've never done the predator calling/night hunting thing but I definitely want to give it a try.

its exciting when everything comes together, its disappointing when it doesn't! Foxpro is a good caller - I also have a Foxpro FX3 and a Wildlife technology caller, and  4 decoys. The 17 s/b good for Fox and In-close Yotes . If you will be going it alone - it's a tough road. At nite You will need to scan with a light for eyes and have a light on the gun for shooting.You won't want to scan with a gun - it gets heavy and is dangerous. Some lone hunters use Headlamps for scanning and have a light on their gun for shooting. That is how I started. Still coyotes tended to see me 1'st alot of the time. Since I hunt alone and have to do everything myself... it makes it that much tougher. It is best if you can get a partner to scan while directly behind you while you shoot for nite time hunting. My current gear for night hunting is a sniper hog flashlight (infrared) attached to my photon xt(digital nitevision) scope on a bolt .223 and an ar15 with a day scope that I can attach a digitial nitevision cam on the eyepiece (ludicrous lumens vulpine). This allows me to use the ar15 in day (without cam attached) or at nite with cam attached. I also now use a Pulsar thermal monocular for scanning (xq23v)-can pick up body heat out to 875 yards. I use a combo of hand calls and electronic calls,  and decoys when I go in daylite hours. For field (open) hunting at nite I stand and also attach my gun to a tripod which leaves my hands free to run the remote or use hand calls. I attach the caller to the tripod (easier to catch eyes). If I am in the woods during daylite, I will often bring my ulti-mag shotgun with a coyote choke and 3.5" shells #4 buck for some close encounters. The most important thing tho is scouting to make sure the yotes/fox are there. they have quite a large range they roam. If they are not there you will be sitting alone. AND always play the wind!

hope that helps!

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1