Knife Sharpening ?

depends on the knife. i've got a ken onion edition work sharp plugin sharpener that's a utility type of thing and used to touch up knives i've already had on it. then a 1000/6000 grit wetstone that's not a quick thing but makes an edge sharp as could be. i've got a ceramic fixed 20ish  degree "v" sharpeners too.

lansky. thats it. i have stones of all kinds ceramic  crock sticks , leather strops. the lansky is great just a few swipes and im tuned right back up. Its like a machine... Its always the exact same every time.That alone saves you time and frustration? anxiety? OCD..

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Spyderco Sharpmaker is what I use. Sometime this winter I’m going to spring for the diamond sticks as mine are getting difficult to clean up. 

Ive used this setup for 8-10 years now I think. 

X2 but I also do them by hand for a quick touch up.   Touch up often and they stay very sharp.   Much easier.   

• Like 3

I use a variety of stones, diamond sticks, stropps, and a good steel to finish them off. Very Sharp! Just ask my hunting partner who used my knife to field dress his deer, a week or so ago. Lets just say there was more bleeding than there should have been! And some good natured ball busting too.

• Like 3

I inherited the sharpening steel and strop that my grandfather used when butchering. It's about a hundred years old, from Germany, and will put an edge on anything. Once in a while the angle needs to be reground with a machine, but mostly it's a couple of strokes on the steel and a brush on the strop.

I got a fetish for sharp knives  .I got a diamond stone that's about 25 yrs old and a few other stones. I bought the small smith pocket pal that I use for broadheads and when I go fishing to sharpen my hooks. I  have some steals but they are only good to touch up as im using the knife and I have a couple of pull through sharpeners good ones from smiths. I just bought the Bavarian edge I kept seeing it in bj's and bed bath and beyond so  figured what the hell its $20 but it seems to work I mean a decent edge but to really get a good edge its a whet stone oiled and a constant angle I use a 22 deg angle. what you can do is to use a sharpie on the edge and that will help to keep a constant angle also hold the blade @ a 90o angle then cut that in half [eyeball it] that's 45 and half again that's 221/2 believe me it works .the pull thoughs work fine see I butcher my own deer and filet my own fish so they are constantly getting dull.

Spyderco sticks , Smith ( lansky type ), and a small brand clamp on type ( not like the lansky ) . The last one is great for reprofiling .

Most quality brands will restore the factory edge for free or like five bucks .

As Moog said don’t let them get dull, quick touch ups are fast and easy .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’ve used Lansky and Gatco years ago and never was thrilled with them. Only obviously YMMV....

Ya two main issues , one if the blade is not centered side to side you get different angles on each side. Then you also get different bevel angles from the ricasso to the tip .

This came up at the perfect time. My main butcher knife really lost its edge this year and I think I’m really going to have to work at getting back into tip top shape.

I always kept it touched up using steel several times through the process and it’s kept it very sharp for 7-8 years with no issues. Not sure what happened this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk