Knife Sharpening ?

On 12/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, Dom said:

Field knives sharpened on stone Kitchen knives/butchering get done using the back side of another knife.Also never wash your knife use only a damp cloth hot water will dull a knife faster than regular use.

Soooooo, you sharpen kitchen knives/butchering using the back side of another knife and hot water dulls knives faster than regular use?

That there is a couple things I didn't know........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

Soooooo, you sharpen kitchen knives/butchering using the back side of another knife and hot water dulls knives faster than regular use?

That there is a couple things I didn't know........

The knife sharpening learned from my Grand dad that was a cook in the Navy.The washing of knives was learned in school/Culinary

13 minutes ago, Steve D said:

There is always these as a option for some:

Dakotaline Wiebe Fixed Blade Scalpel Knife :             Just replace the blade

Lots of these on the market.....same idea as Havalon folding knives......they all take a #60 autopsy blade for a general blade.

You can get #60 xt blades also, a bit more spine and will fit a standard handle most of the time.

#10 or 20 handle/blade good for caping (actual real caping, not skinning and chopping off head)

I buy from medical supply houses and use them for veneer work.

Edited by Dinsdale

A novice could really botch an expensive knife with some of the electric sharpening systems out there. 
Years ago I took some higher end knives to Povinelli to be sharpened. Oh what a mistake.......the don’t hone, they grind. 

Oh no I was actually thinking of taking some knives to povinelli to have them “professionally” sharpened. Guess I better re-think that and look into a different system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome Stay at Home Nomad. 

Like many things , there are many different methods to get knives sharp.  The power sharpeners work but one has to be very careful of generating too much heat and changing the temper.  One quick pass, about 7/8 of the way, then pull away and avoid the tip.   Then feel blade with your hand.  If hot , quench it under water to cool.  Then repeat alternating sides.  

The very tip is better touched up by hand on a flat stone.  Elevate the handle , so your angle is more than 20 degrees, more like 30.  Then with light pressure do circles,  a few on one side, then the other.  Takes practice but it’s something most anyone can learn.  

Old school knives are thin.  For a reason.  They cut/slice well and are easy to sharpen. Apparently these days with all of us chopping down trees, building shelters and batoning firewood with our hunting knives they need to be a quarter inch thick.  This makes it necessary to have them profiled and have secondary bevels so the actual cutting edge can be thinner. 

Things were easier back when knives were just for cutting. 

8 minutes ago, Boondock said:

Thanks for the welcome Stay at Home Nomad. 

Like many things , there are many different methods to get knives sharp.  The power sharpeners work but one has to be very careful of generating too much heat and changing the temper.  One quick pass, about 7/8 of the way, then pull away and avoid the tip.   Then feel blade with your hand.  If hot , quench it under water to cool.  Then repeat alternating sides.  

The very tip is better touched up by hand on a flat stone.  Elevate the handle , so your angle is more than 20 degrees, more like 30.  Then with light pressure do circles,  a few on one side, then the other.  Takes practice but it’s something most anyone can learn.  

Old school knives are thin.  For a reason.  They cut/slice well and are easy to sharpen. Apparently these days with all of us chopping down trees, building shelters and batoning firewood with our hunting knives they need to be a quarter inch thick.  This makes it necessary to have them profiled and have secondary bevels so the actual cutting edge can be thinner. 

Things were easier back when knives were just for cutting. 

i would say not to do circles because you are then rolling garbage under the blade edge. just push. It takes longer but it makes for a way smoother edge

I agree pushing edge first is the better way.  Over the years I’ve found most people new to sharpening have more success getting a sharp tip with the circular motion.  It seems to be more forgiving if not held at the exact same angle.  At least that’s been my experience.  

• 10 months later...

My two favorite knife makers are esee and benchmade.  The esee are all coated blades because they are softer carbon steel blades subject to rusting.  But they are a piece of cake to get real sharp.  The benchmade I own are all s30v which is much more tarnish resistant and harder to sharpen, but once sharp they hold an edge longer and are easy to touch up.  If I was not proficient at sharpening, I would recommend the softer esee steel - which are a bit more reasonably priced too.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

work sharp. one of the best christmas gifts i've ever had

it isn't as good as sharpening by hand but gets a knife practically sharp enough and that's fine. shaving sharp edge doesn't last long so there's no point in trying to keep it. i have the Ken Onion edition. works good.

13 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

it isn't as good as sharpening by hand but gets a knife practically sharp enough and that's fine. shaving sharp edge doesn't last long so there's no point in trying to keep it. i have the Ken Onion edition. works good.

no doubt that it's not the best edge, but i think its the most efficient for what 90% of us need. if you're a hardcore knife guy, there are other options for sure.