Knife Sharpening ?

One thing I insist on in addition to a accurate rifle is a sharp knife. I sharpen all my knives including household knives with  2 In x 120 Grit Carborundum Aloxite Cloth . I cut off a piece about 16-20" and fold it in half giving me two 8-10" surfaces to sharpen on. 10-15 Strokes on each side of the knife using the proper angle gives an edge that you can shave with. A real dull knife or one with a damaged cutting edge can require more. It can be bought in 50 ft. rolls and a roll will last forever. Once it wears down to close to smooth I use the course side to start and leave the smooth side to finish. I could never master a stone.

The roll picture is 1" which is fine for small knifes but I prefer the 2"

sharpen.jpg

• Like 1

Hello to everyone, I’m a long time reader.  Don’t plan on doing a lot of posting but glad to help out and share when I can. 

All things mentioned will work to sharpen knives. Your ability to maintain the same angle will determine if you can use stones or sandpaper “free hand” or if you need a guided system of some sort.  

For those who use crock sticks and ceramics like the Spyderco Sharpmaker, you can clean them with Ajax,Comet or Barkeepers Friend.  Just carefully wash them in the sink under running water.  Wet them and rub with Comet to get the fine metal particles that are clogging them up off. They will work like new again  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Savagehunter said:

Send back to Buck knives for $6.95 they sharpen and return

Huh.  My buck knife is the one I use for gutting, my Gerber folding is the one I use for de-boning.  Frankly I suck at maintaining the correct angle.  I need a sharpener that's idiot friendly, but only need a sharp edge, not a razor.  

when I was a kid [well it was a while ago ]there was an old Italian guy that went around the neighborhood on a bike w/ a grinding wheel on it  and on saturday would sharpen all the knifes in the area  [hey I just found out what im going to do when I retire].My moms knives were always sharp and there use to be little shops around that sharpened all the restaurants and butcher shops knives ,I worked in a lumber yard and we use to have a guy come in and take our blades we used and sharpen them. All the ones we used were for special mill work like windows and moldings. I guess its a lost art. Now the most important thing to keep blade sharp is how you use it see a knife is not made for chopping and using it on a plastic or wood cutting board will dull it in no time. what I do start @ the toe[the tip ] and downward slice to the heel [the back of the knife] then [if im cutting say steaks off a roast or chops off the loin] I stop and pull the steak /chop up though the blade and the blade never touches the board .It takes practice but you'll save on your blades. See fileting fish and boning out meat really dulls the knives in no time cause hitting and going around bone. 

• Like 1

If you have trouble sharpening , use a Sharpe on the edge bevel  ,then you can monitor where the edge is hitting the stone .

Also most brands will restore a factory edge for free or a few bucks. Spyderco also makes sure the lock is up,to standards and used to buff out any  scratches .

Honestly if it’s an issue send it back for sharpening , and buy the Spyderco sticks ( I’ve had mine 25 years or so ) then just a few passes here and there will maintain it .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

1 minute ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

If you have trouble sharpening , use a Sharpe on the edge bevel  ,then you can monitor where the edge is hitting the stone .

Also most brands will restore a factory edge for free or a few bucks. Spyderco also makes sure the lock is up,to standards and used to buff out any  scratches .

Hoenstly if it’s an issue send it back doe sharpening , and buy the Spyderco sticks ( I’ve had mine 25 years or so ) then just a few passes here and there will maintain it .

Larry- have you tried the diamond sticks for your Spyderco?

oh sorry wrong guy

52 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Honestly if it’s an issue send it back for sharpening , and buy the Spyderco sticks ( I’ve had mine 25 years or so ) then just a few passes here and there will maintain it .

The Spyderco Sharpmaker will work great for most all knives. If you have exotic super steels or just want fast reprofiling the diamond rods are handy to have.  

I have a set of DMT folding flat diamond hones.  I lay the course hone against the Sharpmaker stone and get the same angle for  reprofiling.  Once a blade is ground to that bevel they are easy to touch up on the regular Sharpmaker rods.

In the real world, the red Spyderco rod is all you need for any deer butchering or skinning. It leaves a toothy edge that will cut fine and hold up a little longer than the finer edge left by the white rods  When the ceramic rods get “loaded “ with fine metal particles they stop cutting   Wet them and rub with Comet or Ajax to clean as good as new   

• Like 1

The work sharp system... works with belts of various grits.... love it also has guides for the right angle ... I do everything from hunting and fishing knives to the kitchen knives and the wife’s godd scissors...

Used mine with the green belt to Donny mower blades even. Did great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I use a work sharp electric sharpener. Works really well on the cheaper knives I use it on. You have to be careful because its super easy to round the tip. I wouldnt use it on expensive knives though

A novice could really botch an expensive knife with some of the electric sharpening systems out there. 

Years ago I took some higher end knives to Povinelli to be sharpened. Oh what a mistake.......the don’t hone, they grind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

A novice could really botch an expensive knife with some of the electric sharpening systems out there. 

Years ago I took some higher end knives to Povinelli to be sharpened. Oh what a mistake.......the don’t hone, they grind. 

I agree. Thats on eof the things stopping me from getting an expensive knife. The work sharp isnt too bad with the different belts though

3 hours ago, Boondock said:

The Spyderco Sharpmaker will work great for most all knives. If you have exotic super steels or just want fast reprofiling the diamond rods are handy to have.  

I have a set of DMT folding flat diamond hones.  I lay the course hone against the Sharpmaker stone and get the same angle for  reprofiling.  Once a blade is ground to that bevel they are easy to touch up on the regular Sharpmaker rods.

In the real world, the red Spyderco rod is all you need for any deer butchering or skinning. It leaves a toothy edge that will cut fine and hold up a little longer than the finer edge left by the white rods  When the ceramic rods get “loaded “ with fine metal particles they stop cutting   Wet them and rub with Comet or Ajax to clean as good as new   

I see we have another knife guy here, welcome .

• Like 1