Ten Point Poached Close To Our Property

grampy

Yesterday, a nice ten point buck was shot from a vehicle very close to our property. The scumbag shot the deer and drove off during daylight hours. Thankfully, he was seen doing this by a local landowner, who contacted DEC. The DEC officer arrived and set up surveillance on the dead buck, until late in the day. That's when the poacher, decided it was safe to retrieve his "trophy" and was caught by the officer! A tip of the hat, to the landowner and officer that made it possible to nab this local scum!

Here is a pic of the dead buck, with a trail cam pic of what we think is the same buck on our property. IMG_18481.thumb.jpg.9a4e21522d691fbfbccb18f5c7268c1e.jpgIMG_17711.thumb.jpg.646f9d71ed425bd6134272a9423f91b1.jpgIMG_17701.thumb.jpg.e317cf2fd6401949765c7d1b9980cd8b.jpg

Do you think it's the same buck?

Did the law pass that makes the fines stiffer for the poachers who do this? I really hope so! Hope he gets what he deserves. 

So sad to see any deer killed by a scumbag poacher.

• Like 3

Such a shame, sorry to hear this! Looks to be the same to me. Glad he was caught red handed Job well done all the way around! I don think the fine is any higher yet. But hopefully they hold him to everything he deserves! i know how judges can be about this sometimes.. hopefully hes a known local scumbag and the book is thrown at him! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

Yesterday, a nice ten point buck was shot from a vehicle very close to our property. The scumbag shot the deer and drove off during daylight hours. Thankfully, he was seen doing this by a local landowner, who contacted DEC. The DEC officer arrived and set up surveillance on the dead buck, until late in the day. That's when the poacher, decided it was safe to retrieve his "trophy" and was caught by the officer! A tip of the hat, to the landowner and officer that made it possible to nab this local scum!

Here is a pic of the dead buck, with a trail cam pic of what we think is the same buck on our property. IMG_18481.thumb.jpg.9a4e21522d691fbfbccb18f5c7268c1e.jpgIMG_17711.thumb.jpg.646f9d71ed425bd6134272a9423f91b1.jpgIMG_17701.thumb.jpg.e317cf2fd6401949765c7d1b9980cd8b.jpg

Do you think it's the same buck?

Did the law pass that makes the fines stiffer for the poachers who do this? I really hope so! Hope he gets what he deserves. 

So sad to see any deer killed by a scumbag poacher.

There was a new fine structure but it was no where near what was originally proposed. Our Rep's didn't think it would pass if the law was too hard on these scumbags so they watered it down. It's better than it was but nowhere close to what's needed. . 

• Sad 2

I am no expert but it sure looks the same to me. Glad he was caught, I have no idea what the penalty is for something like that but I am sure it isn't stiff enough. Before reading this forum and watching shows like north woods law I thought poaching was few and far between. Maybe because I live in a neighborhood and travel to my hunting spot so I never hear those late night shots etc. It is obviously occurs a lot more frequently then I ever thought. Its really disgusting!

@grampy, bob is right. the legislation got watered down to only double fines for jacking deer with a light and shooting a buck out of season. even then i burned vacation days meeting with law makers down town on behalf of the NYS QDMA advisory board to ensure it kept moving along through the process. those that worked at it before me spent time too.  unless you showed up so they had to look you in the face not much would happen. to their only defense they do have a lot of bills to handle and move through the process. what makes that BS is the fact they don't work much of the year, despite they'll be the highest paid in the country now thanks to Cuomo trying to buy more pull. it passed but i'm afraid it doesn't help your situation.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Sorry to read about this sad end to a great buck.  These poacher scumbags should have to forfeit their firearm, pay a large fine and spend time in the clink.  At least this was caught.

And they should also have their vehicle impounded and loss of all future hunting priviliges.  

Though we don't know this scumbag personally, we do know of him. And no surprise he's a poacher, among other things as well. No doubt, this was not the first time doing it, just the first time getting caught. Here, as well as most other places, has this lowlife type of scum, who feel they need to poach, to be a "big man" and brag about the deer they slaughter. I'd guess to make up for all the other inadequacies in their miserable lives. I've heard the list of charges is substantial. Hope a bunch of them stick. But no doubt, he and his little "crew" will be back at it again. But at least watched more closely for awhile. And sadly, they're not the only scumbags out there doing it. Man, I despise certain people sometimes.

Didn't post this, because this particular buck probably came from our property. I have NEVER been one to think of ANY deer, or wildlife, that may visit our property to be "ours" or "mine". But rather think, that any poacher, anywhere, steals from all of us. This is just another disgusting example of what goes on everywhere. And just a sad reminder, of what some consider "hunting".

Again, thanks to the DEC officer for doing a fantastic job! We need more of these dedicated officers out there!

• Like 6

3 bull moose poached = $100k fine and 9 months in jail, forfeited ATV and rifle in AK.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Alaska-man-sentenced-to-fine-jail-time-for-poaching-wasting-three-bull-moose-502204901.html

I hope one day NYS grows a backbone and implements hefty fines like a lot of the western states when it comes to poached game, but i am sure they won’t....they should seize the vehicle as it was used in the crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

better news is a few people got caught out this way, including a couple that decided to pull the same crap across the boarder into Albany county. They along with most of the others got caught at night and some are repeat offenders. they'll take it on the chin much harder now. fines start getting compounded and doubled twice.

• Like 2

Poachers are the lowest form of life.

I would suggest adding a new topic on this forum with convicted poacher's names published for all to see,  just as newspapers do. 

This would be public information from the courts and the forum would not be held legally responsible for libel or slander.