The BEST Counties in NY?

Geno C

5 minutes ago, LJC said:

Allegany around that area 

that one, livingston, wyoming, erie, genesee and so on.. theres many out that way. I was curious incase i wanted to buy land out of my county which im looking to do. I was curious what else was good aside from my home town area (suffolk) since i moved upstate 3 years ago. (chemung county)

5 minutes ago, Geno C said:

that one, livingston, wyoming, erie, genesee and so on.. theres many out that way. I was curious incase i wanted to buy land out of my county which im looking to do. I was curious what else was good aside from my home town area (suffolk) since i moved upstate 3 years ago. (chemung county)

If you want to hunt giant rack deer you need to go to counties that have all farmland.  ItS  good food that makes them get big like that . Other places may have lots of deer but not those big racks and also gentics they  have both in western ny 

4 hours ago, Geno C said:

perhaps you miss the point entirely for the question... i can care less what other guys do or harvest. it was a basic question in its entirety. actually a rather simple question but theres always one guy with a smart answer that proves nothing. carry on...

OK. So how would this be calculated? Seeing not everyone actually reports the deer they kill ( some don't even bother buying tags ). I think perhaps breaking it down into what areas of the state seem to produce bigger bucks, not by county. Areas with agriculture, corn, soy beans, alfalfa, etc. will produce larger deer as opposed to the smack dab middle of the ADK mountains where they feed on berries, scrub brush and tree bark.

So, if you really break it down by county, look at the counties with a good agricultural areas. Those should, for all piratical purposes, produce the bigger dear.

16 hours ago, ....rob said:

OK. So how would this be calculated? Seeing not everyone actually reports the deer they kill ( some don't even bother buying tags ). I think perhaps breaking it down into what areas of the state seem to produce bigger bucks, not by county. Areas with agriculture, corn, soy beans, alfalfa, etc. will produce larger deer as opposed to the smack dab middle of the ADK mountains where they feed on berries, scrub brush and tree bark.

So, if you really break it down by county, look at the counties with a good agricultural areas. Those should, for all piratical purposes, produce the bigger dear.

There are some sites you can follow that actually post deer, size, location and so on. To me, very informative. I think you're looking into the technicalities a little deep in regards to people reporting, not reporting. some of that is irrelevant. You can find that info on the web and whether the hunter reported that harvest or not, that info is still there. I hunt areas where there is large amounts of agriculture. Doesnt always produce big buck... Theres more than food in growing big deer. Cover, hunting pressure QDM principles and so on. One thing i see on those farm lands (by me anyway) is every Tom, Dick and Harry hunts them. Deer drives up the wahzoo and shooting everything and not tagging anything.

I dont think you need to get numbers and statistics from DEC to gain information to see where typically, big deer are harvested. A little cruising the net and following the right sites will be a pretty good guide for that. Dont get me wrong, there are many guys with their deer who dont make these sites and im sure some other counties might stack up pretty good as well. But when I see the same 5 counties with over 20 each in deer over the 130s and 140s by Oct 15th, pretty good indication on what that county is about. I haven't heard of any big deer shot in my county thus far nor see hardly any posted from my county on sites. maybe one here and there. But, again doesnt mean we dont have big deer in my county, because i know we do. but the pressure does something to them...

Maybe too it there are other factors as to why a certain county has larger antler beam diameter average than others...such as hunting pressure. Some counties, like the one I live in, is chock full of bow hunters... Great! Right? Like Allegany...my home or Chemung, etc. We have a lot of hunters who shoot every 2.5 year old 8 pt. that walks. How can we get bigger deer if that is the hunting pattern? We need to let that 2 year old buck walk and shoot the spikes and forks if we have to. Easy for me to say because I have a garage wall full of 2 year old eight point racks... But in an ideal world, where we let the little 8 pointers walk, where would the best bucks be? I'd say the lake plains because the soil is best there. Most of the minerals and elements have leached off the hills where I live and settled in the flatlands. I would have to say that the deer who live there would have to be bigger and stronger than the mountain deer where I live. We have lost all our good soil through over cutting of the forests. Topsoil was six feet deep when the pioneers came here. But now its pretty much hard pan unless amended. Sorry, I get a bit long-winded.

2 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

Maybe too it there are other factors as to why a certain county has larger antler beam diameter average than others...such as hunting pressure. Some counties, like the one I live in, is chock full of bow hunters... Great! Right? Like Allegany...my home or Chemung, etc. We have a lot of hunters who shoot every 2.5 year old 8 pt. that walks. How can we get bigger deer if that is the hunting pattern? We need to let that 2 year old buck walk and shoot the spikes and forks if we have to. Easy for me to say because I have a garage wall full of 2 year old eight point racks... But in an ideal world, where we let the little 8 pointers walk, where would the best bucks be? I'd say the lake plains because the soil is best there. Most of the minerals and elements have leached off the hills where I live and settled in the flatlands. I would have to say that the deer who live there would have to be bigger and stronger than the mountain deer where I live. We have lost all our good soil through over cutting of the forests. Topsoil was six feet deep when the pioneers came here. But now its pretty much hard pan unless amended. Sorry, I get a bit long-winded.

Just find the place where they have the least hunters and you will find the biggest  oldest deer so simple but not so simple  that's still got to be western ny some place anyway does not help me because Im 5 hours from and I'm not drive that far for deer .