2018 trapping

stoneam2006

Hey all been awhile since I been on but hoping to be more active for the next few months and will try to keep a trapping log updated. Been a busy summer and fall. Took annual trip up to adks for bear saw nothing and killed a 4 pt with my bow and so far a doe with gun. Also just had a litter of black and tan mixed with my redbone if anyone wants a puppy lol. Had a great summer fishing Erie as well. Trapping line will go in tight after Christmas with any luck weather will cooperate. 9c9e8bf5e7137ad001e5a93c16493213.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 8

With the Fisher season closing on the 10th. The permit needs to be returned to your local DEC office by Dec 20th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I didn't even trap for them this year. The 5 day season down here is a joke fur is garbage and it's the middle of the rut lol I got mine for the wall the first year but refuse to trap them untill the season gets better. From what I hear could change within a year or 2 as it was a 5 year study.... I didnt turn my report in last year so they told me I couldn't have a permit this year....few weeks later the permit came in the mail lol.

My hunting partner is all hyped about learning to trap predators this year. He's been looking and learning online alot lately. Said something about a trapping "starter kit" for a couple hundred bucks? Comes with all ya need to get going. Has anyone got any info on this? And stone, is it real difficult to start trapping coyotes? Might be something I'd do with my buddy on weekends during trapping season. Doing it more for predator control than the pelts, though we would like to do our own tanning on some beautiful pelts. 

My hunting partner is all hyped about learning to trap predators this year. He's been looking and learning online alot lately. Said something about a trapping "starter kit" for a couple hundred bucks? Comes with all ya need to get going. Has anyone got any info on this? And stone, is it real difficult to start trapping coyotes? Might be something I'd do with my buddy on weekends during trapping season. Doing it more for predator control than the pelts, though we would like to do our own tanning on some beautiful pelts. 
Depends on which starter kit but honestly can piece on together better I'm guessing...I'd start with
6-12 Duke square jaw #2 offset 4 coil
Super stakes on chain and driver for stakes
Sifter shovel sod buster
Dunlap hellfire
Cavens gusto
Cavens hiwatha valley
Some gland lure from anyone
Urine.
Websters has a nice selection of different coyote baits as well...sk mice meat seems like a good one.

And for me and most I know coyotes are hard to trap. Population and the any of area they travel makes it hard. I could have a set in for a week+ before the yotes return to the property. But our population down here is not as great especially with me trapping the same land year after year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lmk if I can help answer any questions....Jeff Dunlap has some great YouTube videos on trapping in the snow.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:08 PM, stoneam2006 said:

Have 6 traps in ground for a week connected on first K9 of the year today. High water has beaver traps sprung till tomorrow....hope to have more in ground tomorrow....come on dry

Congrats on the coyote. Tough keeping the traps going in this weather. 7 degrees yesterday. 47 degrees today, and snow tomorrow.:bad:

Congrats on the coyote. Tough keeping the traps going in this weather. 7 degrees yesterday. 47 degrees today, and snow tomorrow.:bad:
No kidding...the mud is the worst...don't want to tear up land either so just getting around is tough....that's why only a few out...looks like it may stay cold now...here's hoping cold and no snow be perfect

6 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

No kidding...the mud is the worst...don't want to tear up land either so just getting around is tough

Luckily for me that is not an issue. The mud really sucks but the area I am trapping is all plowed so I am catching the edges and a couple sets in the woods. For me tearing it up isn't an issue but the mud is definitely the pits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

I know a Trapper that's been doing quite well, and I'm hoping he will start posting his success here !@dinorocks !!!

I wouldn't call myself a trapper. Just a guy that likes to trap and has had some success. Guys like dinorocks and others go at it pretty hard and in order to be successful that what it takes.

I have heard he's had some bad luck with someone smashing his traps. Hope he gets that worked and is able to continue to be successful.