New Addition

Not as cool as Fatboys early Christmas gift but I decided to swap out the bullpup pcp we had for a pcp rifle that was similar in size and balance to our hunting rifles.  It will be used heavily to practice shooting offhand by both Natalie and me.   Little father daughter rivalry.   Love it so far.  Air Arms s510 carbine.   Trying to convince Natalie to shoot with both eyes open.  

05DBCBAD-BCF1-46EE-A937-80BDADD12150.jpeg

AA4E3A43-A35E-4795-B6D5-8FDE9550406B.jpeg

• Like 20

Just now, LET EM GROW said:

Your a good man Moog! This sounds fun! 

She is actually pretty good already Bryan.  I have to be on my game or she will beat me!

The bullpup was cool but not ideal for practicing for regular rifles.  This should be much closer in weight and balance to a standard rifle.

Just now, Moho81 said:

Does your school district have a rifle team? 

She goes to a small private school.  No rifle team.  Barely can field any teams but she is so excited to finally join a real basketball team next year in fifth grade.  I am not aware of rifle teams even in the public schools around here.  That would be cool though.  I put my money on her that she will be pretty darn good with a rifle and bow in time.  She likes shooting both.  Nice to have a partner!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

She goes to a small private school.  No rifle team.  Barely can field any teams but she is so excited to finally join a real basketball team next year in fifth grade.  I am not aware of rifle teams even in the public schools around here.  That would be cool though.  I put my money on her that she will be pretty darn good with a rifle and bow in time.  She likes shooting both.  Nice to have a partner!

It's a dying sport in the school system's only a handful of schools have a team in New York my district being one of them. I read a few news articles last year as the team was doing really well in the state and to make the story short it was pointed out the the entire team is filled the Honor students because the discipline needed for rifle shooting is similar to the discipline needed to perform well in school.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not as cool as Fatboys early Christmas gift but I decided to swap out the bullpup pcp we had for a pcp rifle that was similar in size and balance to our hunting rifles.  It will be used heavily to practice shooting offhand by both Natalie and me.   Little father daughter rivalry.   Love it so far.  Air Arms s510 carbine.   Trying to convince Natalie to shoot with both eyes open.  

05DBCBAD-BCF1-46EE-A937-80BDADD12150.jpeg

AA4E3A43-A35E-4795-B6D5-8FDE9550406B.jpeg

23 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Apple not falling far from the tree here!!!  I love seeing stuff like this! Natalie is a natural. She will be so much better than us. Thanks to a Dad, who gets it!  Nice going Brian. And you better up your gun and bow game! For this beautiful little up and comer is the real deal! In no time she'll be looking up at you saying, "is that all ya got"?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grampy said:

Apple not falling far from the tree here!!!  I love seeing stuff like this! Natalie is a natural. She will be so much better than us. Thanks to a Dad, who gets it!  Nice going Brian. And you better up your gun and bow game! For this beautiful little up and comer is the real deal! In no time she'll be looking up at you saying, "is that all ya got"?

No doubt and I look forward to it Dave!

• Like 1

looks good. all kinds of racket going on down in that basement.  Got myself an early early christmas present too but it was a Dewalt 12" dual bevel sliding mitter saw. Needed it for different things with the new house and explained it couldn't stay boxed until christmas. I told the wife i'm done, however she wants to look at it. She said fine but it's going under the tree whether there's sawdust on it or not.  first task was bracing for my daughters princess bed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Both daughters played BB in Webster, one through varsity. Look into WBA, run through parks and rec. also CYO I coached at St Rita’s and both mine played in it . The Y has leagues too .

• Like 1

Very cool dad.  I will say , I can  vividly recall the times that my two boys and my wife have out shot me. Maybe it’s because they don’t let me forget it ether :rolleyes:. It does make a dad proud when the prodigies surpass the old man. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

looks good. all kinds of racket going on down in that basement.  Got myself an early early christmas present too but it was a Dewalt 12" dual bevel sliding mitter saw. Needed it for different things with the new house and explained it couldn't stay boxed until christmas. I told the wife i'm done, however she wants to look at it. She said fine but it's going under the tree whether there's sawdust on it or not.  first task was bracing for my daughters princess bed.

Its a big basement and I probably spend as much time down there as I do in the rest of the house.  lol  Sliding mitre would be a great addition!

Edited by moog5050

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Its a big basement and I probably spend as much time down there as I do in the rest of the house.  lol  Sliding mitre would be a great addition!

i'm conspiring i admit. the miter saw will help with building a garage in the spring at the new house. once that happens a lot of crap will go out there that sitting in the "unfinished" basement now. once that happens my daughter might get a pink turbo charged side-by-side "to grow into". plus for a short period of time until finished i'll have an uncluttered basement that will serve as a 20 yard indoor range with a bow. further if the wife decides a couple no load bearing walls are in the wrong spot. as long as they're happy i should be too!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'm conspiring i admit. the miter saw will help with building a garage in the spring at the new house. once that happens a lot of crap will go out there that sitting in the "unfinished" basement now. once that happens my daughter might get a pink turbo charged side-by-side "to grow into". plus for a short period of time until finished i'll have an uncluttered basement that will serve as a 20 yard indoor range with a bow. further if the wife decides a couple no load bearing walls are in the wrong spot. as long as they're happy i should be too!

Indoor range is so nice!  Trust me you will love it.  Bet you pull the recurve out more!

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

There's at least one rifle team on the east side - it's generally regarded high across the state. I forget where exactly...Penfield, Fairport, Victor something along those lines. I believe they have a couple girls who are lights out at the state level. There was a lot of coverage in the news because funding was being pulled for the team and they went public and got donations or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Trying to convince Natalie to shoot with both eyes open.  

There are some ways to help this on line with skill tests.

I shoot both open and can switch left and right eye dominance, though naturally right.

Since eye protection is required for all ranges, many shooters wear glasses with blank tape over one side. You focus better with both open, even if using just one.

Also practicing with a similar air gun to rifle is a great idea; I'm not a natural good shot but can hold my own with this style practice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phade said:

There's at least one rifle team on the east side - it's generally regarded high across the state. I forget where exactly...Penfield, Fairport, Victor something along those lines. I believe they have a couple girls who are lights out at the state level. There was a lot of coverage in the news because funding was being pulled for the team and they went public and got donations or something.

I wonder where they practice.