salvaging old head for Euro mount

2012_taco

Is it possible to work with an old set of horns to do a Euro mount? I have the buck heads from 3 bucks taken a few years ago that I left out in the garden hoping bugs or mice would clean them up. They were never touched so i just set them in my garage. Now I'm thinking I should try to clean them up and hang them on the garage wall. The problem is they still have the hide on them and they are dried up. Any one have an idea if i can just boil them or do I need to try and get the hide off before i can  boil them? Thanks for any ideas/help.

I've never done it with the hide dried out. But I think if you boil the head, it should loosen it up enough to use the power sprayer to remove the bulk of it. May just need to boil a little longer is all. 

Lots of videos out there on how to do it on google.

Post up some pic's when your're done!!

It will come loose...Like Biggamefish said, soak it a bit, then boil it...(Outside if you live with any other humans). If you pressure washer it, don't spray in the nose/ up from the sinuses....you will blow all the delicate little bones out. If you soak it long enough. most everything will come off. I have had pretty good luck with just an air hose...again, careful with the pressure on the sinus / nose area.

• Like 3

let it soak in simmer not boil equal parts oxiclean, odoban, and water solution to soften it all up. pull it off as you can and use pliers or moderately strong pressure washer every 15 minutes or so. less time simmering the better. might take a few rounds of peroxide to whiten the skull though. it'll be stained a bit from leaving all that on there.

• Like 1