Deer Hunting Montauk State Park

LICOASTIE

I was thinking of deer hunting in January out at Montauk State Park on standby. It looks like there are only a few spots available for deer hunting there. Does anyone have any experience hunting there? How does it compare to Hither Hills? I know they allow duck hunting there during the year and I would think that might scare the deer away with all of the waterfowl hunters. Also how does the check station out there compare to Ridge check station? I’ve hunted standby before but never out east. Any info would be great! Thanks 

I hunted there during a few bow seasons never firearms. At the time at least, there weren't check stations during bow (there was during firearms) but I believe that you needed to carry a land access permit for the state park. The DEC has, or at least had, a special place on their website for East end hunting opportunities with the details and rules. My recollection was there was a phone number listed that I called and got very helpful assistance.

It is much thicker than hither hills. Lots of scrub brush and visibility was very difficult. Loaded with deer and Giants, but a hard hunt and even harder recovery. Paths were well maintained but I could only see two or three feet into the thicket on either side of the path Tons of ticks as well. There is plenty to be had there, but you have your work cut out for you. There's a reason they hang there.

Best of luck. If I think of anything else, I will post.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

There are not nearly as many deer as what once was,  in the park itself. There are still deer to be had, but most of them hang out near the homes outside of the boundaries. The park is extremely thick and was overrun with deer for many years. They finally reduced the numbers after many years with the gun. There just isn't a whole lot of food for them, compared to the surrounding areas for them to eat. They used to harvest 150+ deer there. Now it's more like  less than 50.