Clarification of the Draft Deer Management Plan from the DEC

I was thinking about the bow season for next year and having to apply for a DMP because there will be no either sex tags issued with your bow license. I know the reason for this because a bow hunter can hunt in any DMU he chooses and shoot a doe in any area he wants. An the Dec would not have any control over how many deer are taken in a given area. What about the DEC leaving the bow license alone, still issue the either sex tags. But it's  issued for only one DMU this way DEC will know how many DMP to issue. And could charge more for the tag.

Dave

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again - you can currently hunt within 500 ft now - just need to permission to do so.

Same permission you would need to recover if the law where changed to 150 ft (or whatever) and

the deer you shot crosses the line. And that will happen - especially in the type of neighborhoods being talked

about as becoming open to bowhunting should the law be changed.

Dave I also thought that was a good idea. The problem i see is that they know the # of DMPs they are giving out and start doing so early in the year. They would have to sell archery licenses and then recalculate right before handing out dmps The only way that works is if you have a time limit to get your license, lets say August, then you would have to go back in October or so to apply for DMP. Then will bowhunters have the first chance at DMPs? State isn't going to do that

Dave I also thought that was a good idea. The problem i see is that they know the # of DMPs they are giving out and start doing so early in the year. They would have to sell archery licenses and then recalculate right before handing out dmps The only way that works is if you have a time limit to get your license, lets say August, then you would have to go back in October or so to apply for DMP. Then will bowhunters have the first chance at DMPs? State isn't going to do that

Orion, just wishful thinking on my part.

Dave

I would like to think that with this proposal that you would apply for and receive your dmp in time for the bow season.

You would think that the DEC should be able to handle it. If license sales begin Aug 15th they should be able to have enough time for hunters to apply for DMP's and mail them out by the middle of September.

Dave

I would think so but why mail them out?  They print them now right when you apply for your license.  A lifetime license holder should be able to stop at a sprts store and receive them right there as well.  If the DEC wants to save some money skip the postage fees. 

I would think so but why mail them out?  They print them now right when you apply for your license.  A lifetime license holder should be able to stop at a sprts store and receive them right there as well.  If the DEC wants to save some money skip the postage fees.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

• 4 weeks later...

In my experiance, bow hunters will take a buck over a doe, face it state wide for the number of bow hunters the take is small. The x-bow will bring more gun hunters into bow hunting where the dec hopes to have more doe taken. They are mandated to control theh herd not make hunters happy! As for extending the bow season "to bring more weapons into the season" so be it as long as there is still a bow season, i personally would like to see a split season, open bow oct 1, run for 2 weeks close it for a week do x-bow or muzzle/kids hunt re open bow for 2 weeks close it for a week then 2-3 weeks of gun followed by another weeks closure then 2 weeks late bow /muzzle. ... I still wonder how they get their numbers for allocating doe tags.... and see no changes proposed to get a better way to find out.