opinions on this parcel of land for hunting?

I am looking for new hunting land. I currently have a 50 minute commute to where I hunt, and it gets old after awhile. Trying to figure out a way to have hunting land within 30 minutes of where I live in WNY. One parcel that could work is this 35 acre parcel in East Pembroke, just East of Cleveland Rd. See pic below. It has a shallow man-made pond in the back. Anyone have any comments on this general location as far as deer hunting goes, and or specific comments on this parcel from what you can see on the aerial? The link to google maps is here Thanks for your input.

35acrespembroke.JPG

I would walk it first  to at least get a feel for whether or not is good habitat and to see if there is sign indicating it gets used on a regular basis. A lot of properties on goggle maps look promising until you get there and actually see it for yourself. It appears there is a pipeline, electric. line or something to that affect running through the center of it that may or may not be part of the property??

One thing I might be concerned about as far as hunting is it appears to be narrow and couldn't help but wonder about the owners on each side as far deer crossing lines when hit.

It could be a gold mine or a royal pain in a lower extremity. It is probably worth checking out since Pembroke has been known for some wall hangers.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, First-light said:

How are the neighbors??

incomplete data. parcel to west is for sale, parcel to SE I asked if they's sell it, no response. may allow retrieval rights. no clue on neighbors to E or SW. If I were to pursue this, I'd want to procure retrieval rights in advance all the way around the parcel. Hopefully wouldn't have to worry about parcels to the N.

I fear It's too small and too narrow. Really only the back part is huntable. I was going to visit it on Thursday as I'll be in the area. I'll keep looking in the meantime.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goosifer said:

incomplete data. parcel to west is for sale, parcel to SE I asked if they's sell it, no response. may allow retrieval rights. no clue on neighbors to E or SW. If I were to pursue this, I'd want to procure retrieval rights in advance all the way around the parcel. Hopefully wouldn't have to worry about parcels to the N.

I fear It's too small and too narrow. Really only the back part is huntable. I was going to visit it on Thursday as I'll be in the area. I'll keep looking in the meantime.

The little piece hooked to yours looks to be land locked maybe?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Four Season Whitetail's said:

The little piece hooked to yours looks to be land locked maybe?

You mean to 6 acres to the SE? I thought it was, too. It is owned by the same company that owns the big parcel to the S of it. A big onion farm in Genessee co. The wife of one of the owners told me "they never sell anything . . . ." To me, it seems like they could live without that six acres. Maybe I could get access rights from them.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

is that an easement [utility right of way] that cuts though the property and in the back theres a piece in the back that cuts the back corner off find out who owns that and if they have access rights to go on that property to get to theirs 

yes, power lines. looks like they own their land, so I should have an easement to cross it. Re the back corner piece, already asked, they don't want to sell. they own the big parcel to the South.

Id defintely put boots on the ground and check it out. Hopefully theres some bedding in the back half of the property. check retrieval rights too as mentioned. Also, can you do anything to make this property better if need be? For food, natural browse, chain saw work to maybe make bedding or travel corridors etc.. Looks decent. Your in a high deer density area i believe 

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind that any nearby properties that are owned by farmers are probably hunted hard.   They want deer gone so you have be dealing with nuisance tags and easy permission on nearby lands.  Look further out than just what was posted in the ariel.  Ideal property will have adjacent properties or at least a side or two that are nut huntable  Not easy to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Keep in mind that any nearby properties that are owned by farmers are probably hunted hard.   They want deer gone so you have be dealing with nuisance tags and easy permission on nearby lands.  Look further out than just what was posted in the ariel.  Ideal property will have adjacent properties or at least a side or two that are nut huntable  Not easy to find.

Moog... let me know when you see a piece of "ideal" property like that for sale around Rochester.  Hell, I'll settle for sub-par property.   

3 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Moog... let me know when you see a piece of "ideal" property like that for sale around Rochester.  Hell, I'll settle for sub-par property.   

I know of 2.  lol

OK - they are not for sale.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

if a property has deer it can be made to hold deer longer or appeal more to deer. you can't create things like hard mast trees though. looks like you'd have mostly scrub stuff that grows fast. more mature woods are in the back. don't have much for stem count but you can plant faster growing stuff for stem count and cover for later in the season when tall weeds and what not thin and die out. just need to also put in better food adjacent to it. fast growing stuff doesn't usually provide best of both.

retrieval access can change but something you can always work to change for the better. i don't know of a single set of neighbors that get along that won't let the other get their deer even if with some stipulation. it works against them because if they don't work with you they have little to no reason to think you'll work with them. i don't think anyone mentioned this but narrow deep properties don't hunt large. limited routes in and out that's more difficult to hunt low pressure with multiple people getting in and out to hunt multiple sets at the same evening or morning.

if you pay fair price i can't see you getting burned if you have to resell it. you have road frontage and as long as it's not stupidly wet to where lots of fill or tiling won't fix it then it's probably a build worthy lot.  make sure to find out if it's forever wild, watershed, has utility easements that would affect that. leases can work but owning has more flexibility and less chance of getting screwed.  if you had a little more i'd say you could have a local farm plant 10+ acres of ag to look into lowering taxes.

• Like 1

Doesn't look like you are going to have a lot of treestand opportunities.  I'd probably stay inside the property border 100 yards and make sure you practice - A LOT - all year.  I don't know, it looks to only be 200 yards wide.    And then there is the handle, which is probably useless for hunting unless you aim for the head.  It is a little barren and given how skinny it is you may be waiting a few years for it to be what you want.  Only one way in too.  That's OK because I have the same problem but my land is L shaped.  If you can find a piece of property that is L shaped then it opens up a world of opportunities as you are certain to have a wide section of it.

You also said it is next door to a farm.  They might let you hunt BUT how many people do they already let hunt?  You may have some border huggers and that would suck on something that narrow.  

Going across property borders to track deer sucks.  It starts a world of drama.  That combined with how skinny it is and the uncertainty of the farm next door makes this a thumbs down for me.  If you have the money to buy property then make sure you get the absolute best thing you can. 

Just my .02

• Thanks 1