opinions on this parcel of land for hunting?

When I bought my place in 93 the one neighbor said he had hunted it for 30 years and asked if he could continue to do so. Having a job. That was only off on weekends I gave him. The ok mon thru Thursday as I would be out for weekend with my family. He was much appreciative.  As the years went by I got to know he was a ww2 sniper, pretty good muzzleloader gunsmith and great shot.

Had a wind storm that took all the vinyl skirting  of the trailer by the time I got down on  weekend it was all picked up and tied in bundles on my deck.  George has since moved and  passed away and one day I got a call from his son and wife . Seems his last wish was to have his ashes spread where he love to be his tree stand. I granted that request as well . A few years later his wife passed and both their ashes are under his favorite tree. I feel honored to. Have gotten to know this man and his family and savior the knowledge he passed on on tuning and maintaining my muzzleloader.  It could of gone completely different had I just said nope I am only one hunting it..   you never know what will happen but do not not  give yourself a chance to see possibilities. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

When I bought my place in 93 the one neighbor said he had hunted it for 30 years and asked if he could continue to do so. Having a job. That was only off on weekends I gave him. The ok mon thru Thursday as I would be out for weekend with my family. He was much appreciative.  As the years went by I got to know he was a ww2 sniper, pretty good muzzleloader gunsmith and great shot.

Had a wind storm that took all the vinyl skirting  of the trailer by the time I got down on  weekend it was all picked up and tied in bundles on my deck.  George has since moved and  passed away and one day I got a call from his son and wife . Seems his last wish was to have his ashes spread where he love to be his tree stand. I granted that request as well . A few years later his wife passed and both their ashes are under his favorite tree. I feel honored to. Have gotten to know this man and his family and savior the knowledge he passed on on tuning and maintaining my muzzleloader.  It could of gone completely different had I just said nope I am only one hunting it..   you never know what will happen but do not not  give yourself a chance to see possibilities. 

That's a very poignant story.

5 minutes ago, goosifer said:

That's a very poignant story.

Although I will say this it takes respect from that person as well to abide by your rule or wishes..  my other neighbor ( since moved away) started well till everytime i came down to hunt him and his friends were in my stands .. i explained 1 more time i would be down. On weekends and he could not be on it then. It ended with me telling him he lost all right to be on it after i cought him doing activities out of season. He moved shortly after and new neighbor is great, plows my driveway maintains trails, and fixes my car as well as is available to lend a hand when asked.. he doesnt hunt but likes to ride his side by side ..I allow it as I have about 11 miles of trail from June 1st to labor day. He follows this rule exactly .but it was nice when he can come get me 3/4 of a mile back in the woods to help drag out a deer on a hot day.. saved me a long walk to get the tractor .

• Like 1

It is in your best interest to develop and maintain good relations with the neighbors.  My folks farm, a few miles west of that location (where there is lots of AG), has been in the family for about a century.   The block inside their "L-shaped" woods, is a big overgrown field that had been "no-mans" land for many years.  A neighbor, around the corner, bought it at a tax-auction a couple years ago.  He had it surveyed, and put many posted signs on the property lines.  As it turned out, one of my stands, which I thought was on the back of my folk's "L", was actually on his land.  He left blunt notes, with his contact info on it, and another that I had about 10 feet from the line.  

In more than 30 years of hunting those woods, I had killed just a handful of 1-1/2 year old bucks, and one button-buck.  The hunting was never that great, due mostly to trespassing issues.  There were very few hunts, when I did not see others wandering off that overgrown field, into our woods.  They ignored the widely spaced posted signs that we put up along the edges.  

It is hard to exaggerate the improvement since that neighbor bought that overgrown field and laid down the law.  My folks farm has yielded big-bodied 3-1/2 year old bucks for me the last two seasons, and what may be my largest ever button-buck last year. I also blew it on a nice doe last season, which would have been my first one of those over there.  I have not seen a sign of another hunter in those woods since that neighbor entered the scene.

I do my best to maintain good relations with him.  Two seasons ago, I ate my gun buck tag, rather than killing a smaller buck late in the season, that was just on his side of the line.   This year, I called him after downing my heavy swamp buck on opening day, to ask if I could drag it over the dry land on the corner of his field.  As it turned out, my brother showed up with a big sled and we were able to use that and float it out over the water instead.  The neighbor was nice enough to send me some trail cam photos he had of it though.  He also sent me trail cam photos of the one I killed the year prior.  He has given me permission to enter his land and retrieve wounded deer if necessary (if I call him first), and we have reciprocated.                  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The land sold with the house. I think what the seller did was shady, offering the land for sale while it was also included in the house that was for sale, but not disclosing that. Supposedly the seller got 5 bids for the land only, including mine. I don't know if I was top bidder. Oh well, if it's too good to be true . . . . I'm just mad I lost a good glove while walking the property.

• Sad 1

The land sold with the house. I think what the seller did was shady, offering the land for sale while it was also included in the house that was for sale, but not disclosing that. Supposedly the seller got 5 bids for the land only, including mine. I don't know if I was top bidder. Oh well, if it's too good to be true . . . . I'm just mad I lost a good glove while walking the property.
U didn't bother to go back and look for it ???

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk