End of season blues - a gear washing question

sad_story

2 hours ago, sad_story said:

End the season... finally time (after a couple of seasons) to actually wash my gear....

What’s your guys’ thoughts on the best way to rid a washer AND a dryer of scents so that you can safely wash/dry gear with the scent less detergents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i just put all mine away .   Washed with scent free detergent and stored in closet.  But by season time next year they will take on some odors so I usually wash them again in Aug and then hang outside in a shed for the season and then wash and ozone them as i need to.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Hunting season is still going strong! Split season ducks opens in the western zone in a few weeks.  Snow geese is open now. You might get lucky and see a few heading south now. Then a month or two after ducks close, snows make their way north. Yotes are also open, pretty sure. Not time to hang the guns just yet!!!!

Washing.. I tell the wife to make sure she uses the scent free detergent. Not much concern after that.  I wonder if you ran the washer and dryer a cycle empty would that clear it of any smells. Doesn't seem that could hurt really.

• Like 1

never been that concerned with the lingering odors of the washer because i always hang dry my stuff outside for a few days. Now this time a year thats tough, but I always rewash everything at the begining of the season anyhow. 

What I do do though with our frontloader is remove the tray that separates fabric softener and stuff and scrub it because that stuff gunks up in there. 

I have never washed any of my hunting clothes .....ever. The thought is that if I am not playing the wind 100% correctly, I will never beat the deer's nasal defenses no matter what I do to my clothes. But that may just be rationalization. I will say that I have been wearing some pretty nasty old unwashed hunting clothes when I have gotten pretty close to touching distance of deer without them ever being spooked (3-times). But the wind was straight away from the deer and right in my face. I am thinking that all the cleanliness activity probably causes more weird household scents than simply letting the fresh air de-stink them outside under the overhang of the well-house.

• Like 1

Wash line dry and place in a tote never in the dryer for myself.Next season take from tote and hang on a clothes line for a few days and no real need in washing them during the season unless you want wear them and hang back outside 

Edited by Dom