Trump bans bump stocks

And this is stronger than NY's restrictions on AR-15s and similar..

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
27 CFR Parts 447,478, and 479
[Docket No. 2018R-22F; AG Order No.RIN 1140-AA52
Bump-Stock-Type Devices

AGENCY: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; Department of Justice
ACTION: Final rule.

SUMMARY: The Department of Justice is amending the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify that bump-stock-type devices-meaning "bump fire" stocks, slide-fire devices, and devices with certain similar characteristics-are "machineguns" as defined by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968 because such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger. Specifically, these devices convert an otherwise semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun by functioning as a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that harnesses the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm in a manner that allows the trigger to reset and continue firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter. Hence, a semiautomatic firearm to which a bump-stock-type device is attached is able to produce automatic fire with a single pull of the trigger. With limited exceptions, the Gun Control Act, as amended, makes it unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun unless it was lawfully possessed prior to the effective date of the statute. The bumpstock-type devices covered by this final rule were not in existence prior to the effective date of the statute, and therefore will be prohibited when this rule becomes effective. Consequently, under the final rule, current possessors of these devices will be required to destroy the devices or abandon them at an ATF office prior to the effective date of the rule.

DATES: This rule is effective [INSERT DATE THAT IS 90 DAYS AFTER PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER].

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Vivian Chu, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice, 99 New York Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20226; telephone: (202) 648-7070.

Edited by OldNewbie

Eh, I'm torn on this.

I personally have no use for bump stocks. But that said, a ban that requires you to "abandon" them? For no compensation? I guess I'd feel a little better about it if the "pre-ban" bump stocks were grandfathered in like when we had the federal AR ban.

I mean how would we feel if suddenly a future president simply banned AR's and said to abandon them? Or some other accessory? Crap, it's just a piece of plastic. What about scopes? An article I just read on this said the Vegas shooter used bump stocks and <gasp> high powered scopes. How long before some nitwit in power says we don't need high powered scopes?

And for anyone planning on committing bad stuff with a bump stock, I don't think this ban will stop that.

17 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Eh, I'm torn on this.

I personally have no use for bump stocks. But that said, a ban that requires you to "abandon" them? For no compensation? I guess I'd feel a little better about it if the "pre-ban" bump stocks were grandfathered in like when we had the federal AR ban.

I mean how would we feel if suddenly a future president simply banned AR's and said to abandon them? Or some other accessory? Crap, it's just a piece of plastic. What about scopes? An article I just read on this said the Vegas shooter used bump stocks and <gasp> high powered scopes. How long before some nitwit in power says we don't need high powered scopes?

And for anyone planning on committing bad stuff with a bump stock, I don't think this ban will stop that.

Agreed, none of these bans are going to stop wacko's from being wacko's....

Moog can probably opine on this as our resident lawyer, but this reads different than a ban. It is a clarification saying the bump stocks should never have been legal as they violate the pre-existing ban on fully automatic weapons. I interpret this to mean that DoJ is clarifying to say you are violating the law already and are given the opportunity to abandon rather than be prosecuted for it. I don't think it gives a precedent to do the same with firearms that were legal at time of purchase. But... I work in technology not law so what do I know.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

About friggin time. Sixty people slaughtered at a concert with like 800 wounded , many who will never be the same. No need for those freakin things.

Lol, troll much?

Happened once in a million chances. The commonality is they were murdered. Murder should be banned. That would prevent all murders if I follow your logic.

I haven't heard many people saying machine guns should be legal, though they clearly are firearms and essential to any 'well armed militia'.  So if you are OK with machine guns being illegal, why would you make an exception for bump stocks? Why do you draw a line between the two? Is a full auto AR that much faster/more accurate/more lethal than a semiauto with bump stock? 

My experience withthe M16A1 in full auto taught me that rapid fire does not always equate into accurate fire.  The barrel has a tendency to rise while "rocking and rolling" with the M16.

Something to consider that in the combat zone, the enemy fears snipers using bolt action rifles so much they place a bounty on them.