Gun Cleaning Products You Love

Five Seasons

I have a pretty good system using some CVA products for my muzzleloader and I tend to use bore snakes and basic hoppes products for my other firearms. I generally don't abuse my firearms or shoot a ton, however I'm always looking for something better. Reading about some all-in-one products like break free clp and ballistol that seem very popular and wondering what yall think. Almost every firearm I own is "modern".

I have been using a old home made mixture that’s called Ed’s red that works extremely well. Google it , lots of stuff about it. 

1 part -  dexron 1 , 2 or 3 automatic trans fluid 

1 part - K1 kerosen ( the type used for indoor space heaters ) 

1 part - acetone 

1 part mineral spirits

Up to 1 lb of lanolin , I don’t add this . 

I mix it in a acetone metal can, do not mix in  plastic container. I have used this on every thing I own and have gotten it on the polymer frame of my lcr with no problems. It cleans barrels extremely well, the last patch will squeak going down the barrel it’s so clean. I do wear rubber gloves when cleaning my guns with this.. 

Edited by rob-c

It depends on the situation. When I was shooting a hundred rounds a day at the bench, Sweet's was the go-to that would get the barrel clean on the target rifles. Copper fouling etc. Mostly it's been Hoppe's for the general shooters and shotguns over the years. I know of a number of gun shops that keep a small pan of Hoppe's under the counter just for the aroma. Smells like shooting. :drinks:

40 minutes ago, cas said:

G96

I like that it smells a little like egg nog. 

It works well and the smell reminds me of my childhood. (of shooting, not drinking egg nog lol)

G96 is a great product, I have used it for over 40 years.  It's all I use for routine cleaning of and lubricating my firearms.  I'll use Hoppes 9 for heavy fouling.  

there was a guy that posted a study he did last year on gun cleaners and lubricants , it was very scientific  I was like wow this guy has a lot of time on his hands .I tried looking for it  if i find it i'll post .But my dad always use hopes # 9 and me too the kits are the cheapest there are and still the best .The only thing the jags are plastic and if you push too hard [especially with dry patches] they will start to crack and break off in the rod and you have to buy a new kit cause replacement rods are more expensive then buying the rods. Last year I bought gunzilla @ the hunt show in Harrisburg [you know how it is I stop to listen to some b/s and I wound up buying it] but I clean it w/ hopes # 9 then hit with the gunzilla and it looks sooo pretty .Now when I clean my guns not ever year or even after shooting a lot but after a wet season like this year snow/ rain I strip the piece totally take the stock and scope off[ yeah you have to boresite and and sight it in again] but look under sht where the bases sit on the action sometimes theres rust there and like a 30-30 where the fore grip meets the barrel and where the buttstock meets the action I sand it it alittle with steel wool and alttle cold bluing then a light coat of oil hoppes oil is the best 

Hoppes Bench Rest 9 is my favorite, I have been using this stuff for a good long time, be it plastic, lead, powder or various bullet jacket residues it will take care of most stubborn bore fouling with good results quick and easy. 

Al

2018-12-24_064129.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1