Chestnut trees

So Im thinking of trying to plant dunstan chestnuts this year/spring    but the trees are not cheap... was thinking maybe of doing them from seed does anyone know where i can get dunstan nuts/seed i see regular american chestnut seed but i thought they get blight and die... any advise would help i know if i start from seed will take longer to establish but yearling trees are like 20 -25 bucks, and they are not guarented  to make it... any thoughts or info would be great thanks

Buy the trees. .. I have done from nuts and they need to be stratified. Then you need to worry about squirrels and mice..with trees buy welded fence and make a 2 ft diameter hoop around each tree and stake it to ground leave in place till 6 in in diameter or deer will rub it ..pull long grass from inside fence before fall to keep mice from girdling.  3 to 5 years you can have nuts.. then collect and plant nuts..  they are very tough and will grow back from roots if cut or eaten but fence then and save yourself lot of trouble.  

Perhaps next year I'll start passing stratified nuts out. I'm up to 36 american and dunstan trees planted and dozens more that squirrels have planted . 

18 hours ago, G-Man said:

There are several article/ post on them in. Habitat section here that should answer most of your question with out me and others restyling 

...my thumbs get tired

..lol

Hello G-Man: Do you have any recommendations for fertilizers ? I have about a dozen trees ranging from 2 to 5 rys old and no chestnuts yet. Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Hello G-Man: Do you have any recommendations for fertilizers ? I have about a dozen trees ranging from 2 to 5 rys old and no chestnuts yet. Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Myself I would just run with triple 15. Make sure when you apply the fertilizer your not applying it at the base of the trunk, you want to spread it as far out as your branches reach so your reaching the end of the root system.

Edited by zag

1 hour ago, Glen said:

1st you need to know what your soil ph is ,chestnuts prefer acid soil 1st. They do great planted in old pine plantations. Then what do your leaves look like..light green? Curling? Dark green and glossy? You may need more nitrogen, potash or potassium. Each sight will be specific... you can always go with a tree spike about a 1ft or 2 ft away from seeding. Though I do not recommend fertilizing when planting. 

Have you at least had catkins form?? 

Edited by G-Man

On 12/19/2018 at 7:43 PM, G-Man said:

1st you need to know what your soil ph is ,chestnuts prefer acid soil 1st. They do great planted in old pine plantations. Then what do your leaves look like..light green? Curling? Dark green and glossy? You may need more nitrogen, potash or potassium. Each sight will be specific... you can always go with a tree spike about a 1ft or 2 ft away from seeding. Though I do not recommend fertilizing when planting. 

Have you at least had catkins form?? 

I had 2 catkins total so far, one each on the older trees. Saw them and then a couple weeks later they were gone.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:39 PM, zag said:

Myself I would just run with triple 15. Make sure when you apply the fertilizer your not applying it at the base of the trunk, you want to spread it as far out as your branches reach so your reaching the end of the root system.

Thank you !