sum up your season!

Robhuntandfish

All in all not a bad season I got my second harvest with a bow and was able to fill a doe tag so the freezer is full. I was able to be there to help my son track and drag his first ever bowkil ( huge moment). I was there when my soon to be daughter in law harvested her 3rd deer ever and the first in a few years ( another big moment). I seen alot of deer for me and let a few bucks walk that I may not next year. I wish I could have taken another deer to help a friend fill his freezer but you can't have everything. Already looking forward to next year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not the best year but no tag soup. I have not gotten out for bow in some years to due to shoulder issues. So.. I am limited to xbow and gun. I saw something like 6 deer on stand. A very nice buck at 60 or so yards through thick shit. No shot at all with xbow. He was tailing a doe. Another group of 3 doe busted me due to scent. The wind was blowing exactly the wrong direction. One buck I did take a long shot at but a clean miss.  Last day of gun a tender doe walked out in front of my wife at 5 minutes before sunset.  My hunting buddy was watching her and the deer through binos and looking at the time. He told me he was screaming (to himself) SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. Shot rang out 1 min before legal and the deer fell over where it stood. Her first deer with the rifle. She was hesitating due to it not being the biggest deer but she got it done and it is tasty button buck. Now time to get the duck decoys out and ready to go. 

• Like 1

Crossbow was dismal. I always bumped deer going in and coming out but very little was seen when sitting. What was, was too far. Rifle was more productive. Since my primary goal right now is herd reduction, I shot an adult doe each week of the 3 week regular season. The rest of the family had a normal early rifle season.

I attribute the dispersed wandering deer this fall to a lack of apples.  There were few on the cameras. Whenever there was a dusting of snow, deer tracks seemed to be everywhere, quite literally. They were everywhere and anywhere, completely unpredictable.   

Last year there was a huge apple crop. I set up a blind close to 2 large, top-worked apples. A major scape developed under one of those trees. It was Deer Central Station. At one point I had five 1 1/2 year bucks in sight, 4 in range.  It was fun but at the the I was waiting for another adult doe.  The big boys were coming in at night. 

Mixed bag for me. Set a goal to harvest three, ended up with two, but passed on several near the end because I was holding out for antlers that never showed up. Had several firsts -- first kill from a treestand, first tracking and recovery in snow, first pass-throughs with the compound bow. Low point was hunting alone the whole time, wife and daughter not interested, son interested but now lives out of state. All in all nothing to complain about, I hope to be back at it next year.

Thankful for the time out in woods, but as far as deer sightings-waaay down due to flooding of my main areas for hunting. Got a spike with shotgun around Thanksgiving---all combined seasons probably saw less than 20 deer.  High stream water maybe part of problem, also next to no shots heard by other hunters- so no pushing the deer around. So, all in all, thankful I got what I got.