New to chainsaws.

I want to say thanks for all the advice yall.

I really appreciate it.

I contacted the company I bought the brake from to see about return/exchange.

After comparing the original and new brake. The new one was slightly smaller. And it rubbed in a spot on the clutch even when disengaged.

They called it defective and shipped me out a new one free of charge. Just got it in the mail and it fits better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes the chain is on backwards. Thanks for pointing it out.

I still have some small parts to replace on it so I wont be using it till spring. Just assembled in current form to make sure the brake was the initial issue.

Og brake did not stop the chain.

The model number for the saw comes up as husqvarna also. I dont know if that improves the saws status.

I'm just under 100$ all in. For a working saw. With plastic case, sharpening system and 3 chains. Not bad imo for a first saw that will only get used for spring deer property maintenance.

I have chaps and a helmet/face shield as well since I'm a safety sally.

OP, don't want to rub salt into your wounds regarding your efforts at making a used chainsaw come back to life! Admire your DIY tenacity! Problem basically revolves around trying to make a lower $ & disposable chainsaw fully functional again. Echo, Poulon and a few other brands are in the lower priced range for a reason. They have their light-duty uses also, homeowners wanting a chainsaw to cut up a few limbs occasionally. To add to this issue, typical homeowners using a chainsaw have no clue how to maintain it. Pretty much abuse them until they die and get a new cheapo saw!
What you have photo'ed looks similar to a Husquvarna sprocket assy. Mine needs oiling before/during use as they don't used sealed sprocket bearings. Don't have my owner's manual in front of me, but I never start a saw w/brake on either my Stihl or Husky. Only suggestion I have is to search for the correct owner's  manual for that specific chainsaw model. A good starting place.
Be warned - If you get super frustrated and decide to use a small engine repair service. the authorized Stihl/Husky sales & service near me gets ~$90/hr labor.
Where Do you oil? Behind the sprocket?

I do not have a manual for the saw currently.

Just like brakes on a car; if the clutch drum rubs the brake pad, it will heat up. I have owned two 2050 Poulans for 14 years. Came with 16 inch bars which were to big for for the 33 c.c.  motors. 14 inch bars and sharp chains made good trimming  saws out of them.

Oh, and I use to be a Poulan dealer for many years.

• 3 weeks later...