Sunfish Valley Whitetals

snopro6r

Looking for some input on this place. I have been asked to go on a hunt next year, 2019. Anyone have any thoughts on the place? Thanks for your time
Let me guess, 1st post and now trying to subtly promote your canned hunts? No thanks we all only shoot penned deer at @FourSeasonsWhitetails because cheating to hunt is the only way to go

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

No promoting here. I live in Jasper Ny. I have never been on an out of state hunt before. I have been invited to go with two other guys who have also never been out of state hunting. I just don’t want to go to a high fenced hunt and kill a tame whitetail. I want to go and hunt for a whitetail. If I had lots of free time I would do a diy hunt but the world has gotten so busy, I just can’t do that. So my apologies if you think I am promoting something,  l was just looking for some information on the place

Edited by snopro6r
  • Like 2

I have never hunted there.

This sure doesn't look like a canned hunt to me, more like a pretty high priced opportunity to kill a very nice mid-western whitetail.

There are a ton of reviews out on the www for this place, some great, some unhappy. I think it goes with the territory, guys drop big $$ to kill a mid-west slammer, and come back unhappy when they don't connect. Just my $.02, but it takes more than 5 days sitting to kill a deer like that in most cases.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

FWIW; I have never booked a whitetail hunt; but have booked quite a few others.

What stands out to me is a lot very nice deer and some close to 200" whitetails for very inexpensive pricing for that level. What gives?

Most guys I know who book whitetail hunts are looking for multiple stand locations and being able to select the one they want. A few have been disappointed with guide putting them in poor for the wind locations for a day.

Ask lots of questions......google what to ask a outfitter.

10 hours ago, snopro6r said:

No promoting here. I live in Jasper Ny. I have never been on an out of state hunt before. I have been invited to go with two other guys who have also never been out of state hunting. I just don’t want to go to a high fenced hunt and kill a tame whitetail. I want to go and hunt for a whitetail. If I had lots of free time I would do a diy hunt but the world has gotten so busy, I just can’t do that. So my apologies if you think I am promoting something,  l was just looking for some information on the place

Good luck, Pilgrim..!!  I hope you find a good hunt..I have never done many out of state whitetail hunts ( other than PA) because if I pay the money to hunt out of state, I'd rather hunt a species that I cannot hunt in my on back yard..

You are from Jasper, eh  ??You may be my illegitimate son ( or grandson)….Hehehe...

• Like 5

Don't listen to the Input from the dickh&@ds and hunt where and how you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Most guys I know who book whitetail hunts are looking for multiple stand locations and being able to select the one they want. A few have been disappointed with guide putting them in poor for the wind locations for a day.

Ask lots of questions......google what to ask a outfitter.

I realize that a client will pay good money for a hunt, but I don't think most outfitters will appreciate being told how to run a hunt.  They typically know their areas way better than the visiting client.  Most outfitters have several hunters in at a time and they can't be playing favorites to the whiney hunter who demands to sit at a certain stand just because this hunter thinks it will be the most productive one.  That will without a doubt lead to an unhappy hunt for both client and outfitter.

11 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Good luck, Pilgrim..!!  I hope you find a good hunt..I have never done many out of state whitetail hunts ( other than PA) because if I pay the money to hunt out of state, I'd rather hunt a species that I cannot hunt in my on back yard..

You are from Jasper, eh  ??You may be my illegitimate son ( or grandson)….Hehehe...

Lived here my whole life almost 49 years. Hard to leave, we have the best sheep around! I agree with you on the idea of an out of state hunt should be something not at home. The thought of just seeing a 150” class buck once in my life is just too tempting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snopro6r said:

Lived here my whole life almost 49 years. Hard to leave, we have the best sheep around! I agree with you on the idea of an out of state hunt should be something not at home. The thought of just seeing a 150” class buck once in my life is just too tempting. 

Best of luck on your hunt!  I have never been on a guided hunt of any kind. So I can't help with your question. I also have not seen many 150 inch whitetails in the wild. 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:46 AM, snopro6r said:

I have no agenda, but if I wanted to kill a very nice free-range whitetail deer I would head to Texas. Overall, there are more deer, higher deer densities, warmer weather, and good ranches are managed to breed quality bucks and keep doe ratios down. I've never come back empty handed, and a 150'" deer is very doable. Price would be about the same or lower as what you see in Ohio, and most ranches will let you shoot hogs, coyotes, bobcats, and maybe javelinas & turkeys also.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I noticed this outfit will be at the Harrisburg outdoor show in early Feb. Depending where OP is coming from in NY, not too bad a drive to have a face to face.

Have booked a few trips without sizing up an outfit face to face; but usually I know more than a few folks who have been there and they in turn are experienced with finding better than average places to go. But generally speaking I like to have a little personal contact. I find it easy to work in my questions list I use into a conversation then going down it point by point. One hunt I talked to owner in 2008 and was impressed enough I finally had things come together in 2017 to actually go there, in the mean time I kept track of reports and in touch with other folks who used him that I knew. So I weigh that contact heavily in making a decision.

One thing in that department is making sure actual company reps are at a show, its become more common to just have a couple former clients looking for a discount trip manning a booth. I sometimes will help at a show, but only if just help; too much $$$ on the line without the folks actually running the hunt being there IMO.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

I have no agenda, but if I wanted to kill a very nice free-range whitetail deer I would head to Texas. Overall, there are more deer, higher deer densities, warmer weather, and good ranches are managed to breed quality bucks and keep doe ratios down. I've never come back empty handed, and a 150'" deer is very doable. Price would be about the same or lower as what you see in Ohio, and most ranches will let you shoot hogs, coyotes, bobcats, and maybe javelinas & turkeys also.
Good luck!

What TX outfitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess in my honest opinion, based on the information they give, it gives pretty realistic expectations. That region is a very high yield trophy buck area, with most of the land held for hunting leases for a reason. I didn't bother to look at the pics, because of course they will be awesome. 

With any paid hunt, references are everything. Call them, and get references for both successful and unsuccessful hunters. Call a lot of them! 

I have never been on a paid white tail hunt...never saw the need, the closest I came was buying an inexpensive year membership in a Georgia hunting club to join a friend there for a couple weeks. Five deer limit, max. two bucks at the time. I had a great time, got three...two does. one eight point. I would do it again only to visit with my friend.

You can find paid hunts for white tail in Canada for around two grand for a week...one I know of regularly gets awesome big woods bucks. (sorry, I don't pay attention to scorekeeping/ either sports or deer), are great hosts. My biggest priority when I am hunting is the experience and my company I keep. Make that a priority for hunting, and you will allways be satisfied. 

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I guess in my honest opinion, based on the information they give, it gives pretty realistic expectations. That region is a very high yield trophy buck area, with most of the land held for hunting leases for a reason. I didn't bother to look at the pics, because of course they will be awesome. 

With any paid hunt, references are everything. Call them, and get references for both successful and unsuccessful hunters. Call a lot of them! 

I have never been on a paid white tail hunt...never saw the need, the closest I came was buying an inexpensive year membership in a Georgia hunting club to join a friend there for a couple weeks. Five deer limit, max. two bucks at the time. I had a great time, got three...two does. one eight point. I would do it again only to visit with my friend.

You can find paid hunts for white tail in Canada for around two grand for a week...one I know of regularly gets awesome big woods bucks. (sorry, I don't pay attention to scorekeeping/ either sports or deer), are great hosts. My biggest priority when I am hunting is the experience and my company I keep. Make that a priority for hunting, and you will allways be satisfied. 

Don't mean to derail the thread, but do "hunting clubs" the way you describe exist in NY? Any you could recommend or at least name? That could be an alternative for the OP and others.

Edited by goosifer

4 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Good luck!

Thats because Texas knows how to manage their herds and do what it takes to keep all classes of deer on those ranches.

In Texas a landowner can buy and release high fence deer and their great bloodlines onto their ranches for folks to hunt.

It Show's.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, goosifer said:

Don't mean to derail the thread, but do "hunting clubs" the way you describe exist in NY? Any you could recommend or at least name? That could be an alternative for the OP and others.

Down in Georgia (and I am sure many other southern states) small hunting clubs are quite common...a loose knit group of guys will lease paper company land. The one I was on was about 500 acres, 12 members. It was about two hundred a year apiece. No permanent structures but trailers were allowed. 

I have known a number of similar small clubs in NY working the same way, but do not know of any off hand currently myself. I know property lease expense has climbed a lot due to demand. There are a few permanent land owning hunting  clubs...Up on the Tug Hill the Mad River Hunt Club (I think that is the name) is quite large, owns and leases land both north and south. They have a website you can google. Several times at the Syracuse sportsmans show I have seen paper companies promote their land they have for lease....a way to start a club, anyway. The more members, the cheaper. Most leasing landowners require insurance coverage. 

• Like 1