E-Tip or TTSX Shooters

Piseco

I am looking to make the switch to lead free next season . I have done a lot or research and am down to these two choices . I would like to hear from any of you with REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE on deer , elk or moose using either bullet . I am looking for recent experiences , in the last 4-5 years , as I know they have come a long ways recently.  Thank you for any insight you may have .

I plan to use these in both 7mm-08 and 30:06 . 

I have been shooting TSX and TTSX  bullets for several years now...I load the 120 Grain in the 7MM08 at around 3000fps, the 140 grain in the .280 Rem at about  3000 fps, and the 250 grain in the 9.3x62 at around 2600 fps...

I have had excellent accuracy and terminal performance on  deer with the 7MMs  and on deer, caribou and moose with the 9.3... ALWAYS an exit hole on broadside shots.....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

I use the TTSX in my 7mm-08. Go light for caliber on deer, i.e. 120's in the 7mm-08 and save the 140's for elk. I have no experience with either in my 30-06. Still using Partitions there. Good luck.

Thanks , have you used your 708 on elk with the TTSX ?

9 minutes ago, Piseco said:

Thanks , have you used your 708 on elk with the TTSX ?

No, I have not. I use the 30-06 with 180 Nosler Partitions for elk. I have buddies that use the 7mm-08 on elk and swear by it though. BTW, I gave up reloading a long time ago. All my ammo is factory these days.

The caribou in my ID photo to the left was shot with a 7mm-08 120 TTSX as was my second bull on that trip.

Edited by eaglemountainman

Ive killed many deer with my 06 using the TSX and the TTSX in 180 grains. I really should be using 150's, but the 180's have been working for me so why change whats working. Penetration is outstanding and the accuracy is great as well. You'll probably get pass throughs on moose and elk. Randy newburgh on youtube uses the E-tips on elk and he has great success. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Ive killed many deer with my 06 using the TSX and the TTSX in 180 grains. I really should be using 150's, but the 180's have been working for me so why change whats working. Penetration is outstanding and the accuracy is great as well. You'll probably get pass throughs on moose and elk. Randy newburgh on youtube uses the E-tips on elk and he has great success. 

Do you find that the 180's are expanding or are they zipping through and leaving an exit the same size as the entrance. That's why I dropped down to the 120's in the 7mm-08 on deer from the 140's. The 120's make their presents known!

Just now, eaglemountainman said:

Do you find that the 180's are expanding or are they zipping through and leaving an exit the same size as the entrance. That's why I dropped down to the 120's in the 7mm-08 on deer from the 140's. The 120's make their presents known!

The TTSX tends to leave a hole thats bigger than the entrance, but not too much bigger. Basically just the size of the mushroomed bullet (maybe a little bigger), how ever big that is. If you hit bone (other than ribs), the exit hole will be huge though. Even when the exit hole isnt crazy big, the damage it makes is incredible. Ive never had a deer run more than 60 yards. Most of the time they go 20 yards and tip over. The big doe I got this year went maybe 20 yards before crashing. It was a 140 yard shot right through the lungs  and no bones other than ribs hit. 

The TSX I shoot in my .300wby handloads is dynamite! Leaves tiny entrance and exit while doing serious damage to any organs and internal stuff. Recovered a bullet on my mule deer that was just under the skin of the offside shoulder. Totally mushroomed and made a mess of the insides. I love em. No experience with TTSX but I also am getting dime sized groups or less with mine so never a need to go tipped

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have not shot anything bigger than a caribou with the TTSX in 7mm caliber, but from the results I have had shooting deer sized animals, I would not hesitate to take an elk or moose  with the 140 Grain 7mm... If  I were shooting a 6MM, I wouldn't consider any bullet OTHER than the  Barnes X type bullets..As I have said before, ask Lawdwaz about his experience with the Barnes bullets in a .243...

They work very well in light for caliber bullets driven as fast as you can drive them with good accuracy and safe pressures..

I've just shot Noslers etip 168 30 cal in a 30-06 on game in the deer to elk size class with very uniform results earlier this year. Good clean kills from a variety of angles and dependable expansion judging by the exits. Didn't recover any on a sample of 11.

Also have used Federals Trophy Copper, another polymer tipped copper bullet, also with terrific results.

Have used un tipped TSX but limited on sample size, range results are always excellent for accuracy.

With todays bullets, hard to go wrong with any of them for performance. I like 2 holes and some speed so even in conventional bullets I lean to stiff construction vs huge expansion. YMMV.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I  use Sweet's 7.62  and clean as I would with standard CUP bullets...I have not experienced any issues...

+1, Sweets and Shooters Choice. I always do #6 with Shooters Choice to make sure Sweets is gone.

Good enough for Jarrett, good enough for me.

RIFLE CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS 
1. Run 1 patch, wet with Shooter’s Choice, through the bore. 
2. Wet a brush with Shooter’s Choice, then run it through the bore approximately 10 times. 
3. Run 2 patches with Shooter’s Choice again to clean out any dirt left from brushing it out, then run 2 dry patches through again to dry the bore. 
4. Run 2 patches sopping wet of Sweet’s solvent through the bore and let stand for approximately 10-15 minutes. 
5. Run 2 dry patches through the bore to dry after Sweet’s solvent. 
6. If the patches come out with a fair amount of green (melted copper), a second brushing with Shooter’s Choice is recommended. 
7. Swab out the chamber with a bore mop. 
8. Apply Shooter’s Choice tube grease to the rear of locking lugs of bolt and a dab on the helix curve, on the rear of the bolt (cocking cam). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how many critters I’ve killed with copper bullets starting with the old Barnes X’s don’t have a single complaint on them. Go light and push them fast, only mishap I had with them was an 06 carbine and 180ttsx’s found the buck and had good blood but didn’t seem to transfer much energy and took a lot of shots to finally drop him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk