Christmas Dinner!

Bionic

Who has what for Christmas dinner? 

The last few years have been all about going to my grandparents house.  My dad would make dinner at his house, and bring it up to the grandparents home.  Well this year we lost my remaining Grandma in Jenuary, and my last remaining Grandpa passed on the 2nd day of gun season last month.  Both were my dad’s parents, so this year I decided to have him and his girlfriend up to my house, for a fresh new tradition where my grandparents never had dinner here before.  I bought my home 6.5 yrs ago, so I feel this is a good idea for a fresh start, at least there will not be 2 empty chairs here, and I am hoping all thos makes that day just a pinch easier without added reminders.  

Now to the more brighter side of things, I am making a nice homemade lasagna, with homebaked Italian bread w/sesame seeds.   Jenn will be making a nice salad with the usuals you guys see in my dinner pics with the fresh mozzarella, and balsamic glaze.   We are thinking about have some crackers with summer sausage, and muenster, and cheddar cheeses.  I would like to find some nice bitter olives, and stuffed cherry peppers with the prosciutto/provolone.  

Not at all looking for sympathy, etc, I usually do not advertise my business like this, but maybe your dinners will give me another idea as well.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Perfect! :good:

I'm headed to see my folks on Wednesday and the #1 thing I'm looking forward to is Mom's lasagna.  Always a great dinner choice.

That's one of my favorites too.  Especially when made with ground venison - way better for your heart that way.   My mom always makes it with ground beef, so I prefer my wife's.   Not much difference in taste between the two, but I give my wife's the slight edge (and a big lead if it is ground button-buck like we are into right now).     

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That's one of my favorites too.  Especially when made with ground venison - way better for your heart that way.   My mom always makes it with ground beef, so I prefer my wife's.   Not much difference in taste between the two, but I give my wife's the slight edge (and a big lead if it is ground button-buck like we are into right now).     

I am firmly in the no-meat lasagna camp, but your version sounds equally delicious!  Instead, I pile on as much sausage and meatballs as my plate will hold. 

• Like 1

I can remember mom's lasagna. Wow was it good. 

Sounds like a fantastic New tradition to honor and remember your grandparents.  

I never knew my grandparents. The last one passed in '67 when I was 3 yrs old.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

Sounds like a great menu.  I'm a big fan of stuffed cherry peppers. And actually in a little way am disappointed this year , my mom always still hosts Christmas dinner and she is making ham and scalloped potatoes which is great but it was always lasagna and I was looking forward to that.  Lol 

Have a great Christmas bionic and a great start to a new tradition.  

Our meal is the mentioned ham and scalloped potatoes, cranberry pretzel salad, vegetables, dill dip and rye bread, and for desert always Oreo cookie cake.  

• Like 1

My Mom usually does a turkey, but she's tired of cooking turkeys. Thanksgiving for the family, then one for my Aunt, then one for the church. She's doing a tenderloin in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots!! And a big pot of tomato sauce with several pasta add-ons and other side-dishes of course.

• Like 2

My parents moved to Missouri  about 6 years ago. Haven't had lasagna at Christmas since. Mother in law does a ham dinner with all the fixings. That said I will probably  grill venison  Christmas  dinner. Kids are coming over Christmas. Eve. Wife has to work Christmas day 12 hrs. So with any luck I will be fishing all day . Come home and fix venison  on the grill  with some veggies... maybe  I can get some asparagus  to grill.... have it all done when she gets home from m work.

• Like 1

We go to my wife's mom's for all holidays. Christmas Eve will be a big pot of Cioppino made with Dungeness crab, clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, cod and calamari, along with jumbo lump crab cakes and sides. For Christmas day, there will be a lasagna and a prime rib roast with pies, tiramisu and cannoli for desert

I'm gonna eat like I'm going to the electric chair..

• Like 5

Christmas Eve- gumbo, garden salad, cornbread

Christmas Day-

Apps- boiled shrimp, deer sausage & picking cheese, pineapple wrapped in prosciutto, cookies

Dinner- roast wild turkey, vegetable lasagna for the millennials (don't ask) and fried catfish. Stuffing with deer sausage, au gratin potatoes, mixed vegetables, candied carrots, homemade cranberry sauce

Desserts- pumpkin pie, my mother's fruitcake, and whatever else shows up.

Diet starts January 2. :rofl:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bionic said:

Who has what for Christmas dinner? 

The last few years have been all about going to my grandparents house.  My dad would make dinner at his house, and bring it up to the grandparents home.  Well this year we lost my remaining Grandma in Jenuary, and my last remaining Grandpa passed on the 2nd day of gun season last month.  Both were my dad’s parents, so this year I decided to have him and his girlfriend up to my house, for a fresh new tradition where my grandparents never had dinner here before.  I bought my home 6.5 yrs ago, so I feel this is a good idea for a fresh start, at least there will not be 2 empty chairs here, and I am hoping all thos makes that day just a pinch easier without added reminders.  

Now to the more brighter side of things, I am making a nice homemade lasagna, with homebaked Italian bread w/sesame seeds.   Jenn will be making a nice salad with the usuals you guys see in my dinner pics with the fresh mozzarella, and balsamic glaze.   We are thinking about have some crackers with summer sausage, and muenster, and cheddar cheeses.  I would like to find some nice bitter olives, and stuffed cherry peppers with the prosciutto/provolone.  

Not at all looking for sympathy, etc, I usually do not advertise my business like this, but maybe your dinners will give me another idea as well.

Looks sounds like a shopping spree and some prep work for the stuffed peppers.I would buy the makings and fix them your way idea.Nothin says loven like homemade goodness.

• Like 1

Due to work we are doing a Family celebration tomorrow .... the menu is = Lasagna , baked Ziti , Spaghetti with Pepperoni sauce , Anti Pasta and several desserts - cheese cake , apple pie , chocolate layer cake and naturally ice cream and too many cookies to count ! I've been told everything is sugar free but I think that's BS !

• Like 1

We have 25 or so for Christmas Eve, “Feast of the Seven Fishes” , turns out to more like 15 or so fishes....  then Christmas Day is much quieter, just 4 of us for homemade ravioli, then stuffed venison backstrap and not sure what else...

Sounds like a nice new tradition for you Bionic, you have to take it on sometime, nice of you to do it now.  When my Mother died it was hard to continue on with everything she did, but now my kids talk about how they will be doing it the same way we are now.  I’m sure there will be changes, but as long as they are together, that’s what counts the most.  

• Like 3

Sounds like you have it down, and new traditions are always great.

We have three dinners each year ( well ones actually more of a lunch ), and the menus vary. Two years ago we started having a X-Mas dinner here at my home. First year I made a ham with the usual fixins. As for appetizers, I went with summer sausage as well, with a few cracker choices and 4 cheeses, that summer sausage went a lot better then the usual pepperoni. The main appetizer was a roll, I got a few packs of the ready make crescent rolls, I didn't separate them, rolled them up with marinara-mozz cheese-hot italian sausage, and baked them for 20 minutes. Both rolls were gone in less then a half hour.

This year I made two pans of lasagna for my family gathering at my house using our homemade sauce. I had 1/2 pan left from 5 people. Apps were just summer sausage, crackers, and like 5 cheeses.

I have no idea what's going on for my wifes family party, the only thing I know is there's a turkey being roasted. We were asked to bring a pickle platter, I'm good with that!

For the wife and I on X-Mas day, we would go to a nice restaurant we would not usually go to. This year- we are doing homemade pizzas and wings, and just staying home. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

The great things about traditions is that they can always change(sounds like a yogi Berra quote). Meal sounds fantastic too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true.  Will make the best of it for sure, as long as we are together...

6 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Enjoy either way, sounds great!

6 hours ago, philoshop said:

Make new traditions! The last of my Grandparents passed 30 years ago, and we all still miss her, and all of them, but life goes on.

It does go on, very true.  I did not meet my mom’s dad, neither did my sister.  I am 32, so I feel fortunate to have as much time as I have had with them.

• Like 1